Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

phant0m
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by phant0m »

Hmm.. I'm unable to reproduce the blank window issue in Renoise Tracker 64-bit on the Arch Linux. Can somebody else reproduce it with the latest wine-rt from KXStudio?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

still no gui in Ardour 4.2

tried MUX Modular and Synth1
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

rghvdberg wrote:still no gui in Ardour 4.2

tried MUX Modular and Synth1
I've reproduced this in Ardour, but still can't understand what kind of magic Ardour does here. I'll try to investigate the issue.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

rghvdberg, do you have a following message in the airwave-manager log when you trying to open the VST window: "audioThread() unacceptable command: 8"?
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

OK, finally I found what causes the inoperability of airwave in Ardour. My changes in WINE are correct, but Ardour uses an unusual threading model. This issue needs additional work and I don't know how many time it takes for a fix.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

I'm having problems between Muse and Airwave.

Muse crashes when trying to load Airwave hosted vsti's.
Muse also crashes when closing the GUI of a DSSI-vst hosted vsti when airwave is installed (but not being used at the time). Once airwave is purged from the system the dssi-vst GUI issue seems to go away.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

StudioDave wrote: The native VSTs - I tested the usual suspects - work well. The airwave-linked plugins worked but without GUI. Presets were listed and active, but overall the experience non-optimal.
I'm not sure if it is related to your problem, but I recently had trouble seeing some vst GUIs such as molot and limiter6. The workaround solution in that particular case was to disable d2d1 in winecfg.

winecfg
Go to libraries tab
Add d2d1 to list of overrides
Edit it
Set it to disabled

Tickets
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36860#c4
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37579
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Mod parent up! :D This trick does indeed fix quite a few of my plugins that were loading without the GUI.

Thank you!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Any progress on the 'no GUI in Ardour' problem ?
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Sadly there is no progress. Currently, I have no time to investigate this issue and it seems like it won't be an easy one.
nbd
Established Member

Post by nbd »

@rghvdberg, are you using pre-compiled version or did you compile Ardour yourself? And if so, is it using the Linux VST or Windows VST? I'm just compiling Ardour but didn't find any proper documentation how to compile the VST support, and currently it is built only with LXVST flag (the Linux VST support).

Edit: Ok, now I got the same 'no gui' problem, separate window launches and shows the bypass etc. stuff, but the actual plugin window is transparent. (Ardour-4.4.465)
nbd
Established Member

Post by nbd »

I checked the patch by FalkTX I found some questionable code from the winex11.drv/event.c itself. Line 1043 (taken from https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/blo ... rv/event.c)

Code: Select all

if (data->configure_serial && (long)(data->configure_serial - event->serial) > 0)
And if I'm not totally mistaken, data->configure_serial and event->serial are both unsigned long and thus the (long) cast does not work as intended, because the subtract is done before the cast and this is always > 0 unless they are identical. If the whole point is to check whether the configure_serial is bigger, then I think better would be:

Code: Select all

if (data->configure_serial && data->configure_serial > event->serial)
I don't understand the original logic (yet) but if event->serial is bigger, the result is still > 0 due to both being unsigned values.

Edit: discussed briefly about this at #winehackers, and it is working as intended. This is not the bug you are looking for, move along...
nbd
Established Member

Post by nbd »

Latest muse3 git works fine with Airwave. Kontakt 5 runs ok.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

nbd wrote:@rghvdberg, are you using pre-compiled version or did you compile Ardour yourself? And if so, is it using the Linux VST or Windows VST? I'm just compiling Ardour but didn't find any proper documentation how to compile the VST support, and currently it is built only with LXVST flag (the Linux VST support).

Edit: Ok, now I got the same 'no gui' problem, separate window launches and shows the bypass etc. stuff, but the actual plugin window is transparent. (Ardour-4.4.465)
Hi,

If you build 'ArdourVST' (in other words the custom build that runs in Wine and supports Windows VST plugins) there is no need for Airwave since Ardour just can natively run them, however I'd love to see Airwave working with Ardour as well. I'm curious if you or phant0m have asked on Ardour's IRC channel for help as to how Ardour differs in it's handling of threads which seems to be the issue with GUI's in Ardour.
nbd
Established Member

Post by nbd »

GMaq wrote:If you build 'ArdourVST' (in other words the custom build that runs in Wine and supports Windows VST plugins) there is no need for Airwave since Ardour just can natively run them
Good point, I will try to load the DLL's directly.

Edit: Apparently it is not so easy to build that. I'll skip for now.