Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

higltypig
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by higltypig »

Hi again.

In Ardour I can load in a vst using airwave but as soon as I try to open the gui I get

------------------
The audio backend was shutdown because:

zombified
------------------

Any ideas?
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

subgraph starting at ardour timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=12, status = 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least -17623859.200 msecs

JACK HALTED: zombified

is what I get in the terminal
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Which plugin have you tried to load?
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

phant0m wrote:Which plugin have you tried to load?
That was Truepianos.

just tried Voxengo GlissEQ and I get

------------------------------------
The audio backend was shutdown because:

graph error
------------------------------------
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

Also just tried Voxengo Voxformer and I get the zombified message.

Kind regards
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Well, to be honest, I don't know how to work with the Ardour. I've successfully added a new track with reFX Vanguard and even was able to play it using my midi controller. But after the 20 minutes of usage I still can't find how to show the VST editor. What a shame :-)
I will try to load some Voxengo plugin for testing..
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

phant0m wrote:Well, to be honest, I don't know how to work with the Ardour. I've successfully added a new track with reFX Vanguard and even was able to play it using my midi controller. But after the 20 minutes of usage I still can't find how to show the VST editor. What a shame :-)
I will try to load some Voxengo plugin for testing..
not a problem me neither ;) - but having my vst plugins is a necessity before I could explore Ardour any further.

Such a shame bitwig is so pricey because it seems to work great - still holding out for a linux native version of reaper especially after seeing how smooth bitwig runs, and I really don't need all the looping stuff bitwig provides.

Kind regards
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

I build and check Ardour daily. I rarely test its MIDI capabilities, but after reading this thread I decided to run some native and linked VST plugins in A4.

The native VSTs - I tested the usual suspects - work well. The airwave-linked plugins worked but without GUI. Presets were listed and active, but overall the experience was non-optimal.

dp
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Yes, the "black window bug" occurs every time in the Ardour4. I have not found a workaround for it. Apparently I need to dig the WINE sources, but it won't be easy.
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

phant0m wrote:Yes, the "black window bug" occurs every time in the Ardour4. I have not found a workaround for it. Apparently I need to dig the WINE sources, but it won't be easy.
Well, I think possibly this might be a bug for Ardour to fix? maybe they'd collaborate with you?

Running windows VST on linux is something that is too huge for them to ignore. I'd pay happily to have a linux daw which runs windows vsts if it were in the region of £100, it would be well worth it for me. I feel that this is a stepping-stone technology to fully fledged Linux VSTs but it would enable alot of folks to switch.

It's experimental for me but I'm excited about the future :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

higltypig wrote: Running windows VST on linux is something that is too huge for them to ignore.
A daw supporting windows vsts in linux isn't a big moneymaker. Releasing the windows version of Ardour4
is the new course. Ardour competing within linux against renoise, tracktion, carla, bitwig, radium, qtractor, and
reaper-in-wine, to get a small slice of the U-he-DiscoDSP-Pianoteq-OverTone market just doesn't make cents.

Reaper has proven to be the most trouble-free way to run windows audio apps in linux,
and the split/price license is pretty sensible. Maybe someone needing a midi controller
but not bitwig, could split one of the hardware bundles with you? Or, at KVR marketplace, bitwig get's sold
a few times, currently $180:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=437492
higltypig
Established Member

Post by higltypig »

glowrak guy wrote:
higltypig wrote: Running windows VST on linux is something that is too huge for them to ignore.
A daw supporting windows vsts in linux isn't a big moneymaker. Releasing the windows version of Ardour4
is the new course. Ardour competing within linux against renoise, tracktion, carla, bitwig, radium, qtractor, and
reaper-in-wine, to get a small slice of the U-he-DiscoDSP-Pianoteq-OverTone market just doesn't make cents.

Reaper has proven to be the most trouble-free way to run windows audio apps in linux,
and the split/price license is pretty sensible. Maybe someone needing a midi controller
but not bitwig, could split one of the hardware bundles with you? Or, at KVR marketplace, bitwig get's sold
a few times, currently $180:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=437492
I'm using reaper in wine and yes it works very well :)

Kind regards
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Airwave 1.2.1 released

Changelog:

Code: Select all

[+] Bridge the initial plugin delay (now PDC should work correctly)
[+] Support for the VST shell plugins
[+] Handle some deprecated VST events (Tracktion uses them)
[*] Workaround for the Waves plugins (no GUI issue)
PS: Could someone please check the "blank windows issue" in Ardour 4? I can't create an audio session on my machine.
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

No luck in Ardour 4 x64 with 1.2.1. I tested it with Thrillseeker from VoS.
Arguy (IRC)
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Mint LMDE amd64, Ardour4 still doesn`t work. Blank window with copy of background, cursor disappears on the "blank part".
Last edited by Vrangor on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.