Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by glowrak guy »

rghvdberg wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:Brainstormer is a beta,
:wink: Cheers
Not trying to bash Airwave at all or anything.
I know from your posts you're not a basher type. I downloaded Brainstormer,
and made a few simple presets, really nice gui for that, and a nice sounding instrument.
Might need a clustered cpu room, just to handle it's cpu greed. Makes Diva look
like coupon clipper :wink:

Cheers
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Did some testing with Airwave and Ardour / Qtractor with various synths.
Maybe it's my wine version (wine-rt 1.8 ) but I mainly got crashes, no matter what plugin.
If I adjust a parameter while playing, something hangs, resulting in a loud hanging tone. Both qtractor and ardour are unresponsive and have to force quit.
I also noticed when loop-playing in ardour, ardour freezes with the hanging note. Again xkill to the rescue, and I have to stop jack to get rid of the hanging note/tone ..

If someone can give me pointers how to debug, I'll try that when I have some time.

cheers
Last edited by rghvdberg on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Right now it's hard to say why you got these crashes. I tested the latest airwave myself with Ardour 4.7, Spire 1.1 and wine staging 1.9.5.
BTW why do you use wine with RT patches? My core i7 2600 allows me to use several Spire instances with only 256 samples buffer size. I'm not a professional composer/musician and this latency is more than enough for me.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Good question .. :roll:
really dunno :?
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

just a quick question. Does airwave or any onther winvst translate jack freewheel. In other words. if i bounce a track in ardour with effects which processes it in non real time. will airwave translate from what a jack client needs to what a win vst expects.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Airwave is just a bridge between a VST host and a VST plugin. It works with offline processing (export audio from VST host) too. But it seems that it still doesn't compatible with Ardour right now.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

phant0m wrote:... it seems that it still doesn't compatible with Ardour right now.
Confirmed here with Ardour4, built from latest git pull. Still no GUI for Airwaved plugs. :(

Btw, I have a significant problem building Airwave now. If I'm correct, it wants a 64-bit Wine lib to build its 64-bit support. However, I don't have a 64-bit Wine installed, and as far as I can tell I can't have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed. The last time I tried to install Wine64 on Fedora 19 (I'm on 21 now) it utterly hosed my system, so I won't be upgrading Wine again any time soon. So my question is: Can I build Airwave with *only* 32-bit support ? My builds always succeed to the point where the code wants Wine64, so if I can get around that I can build a new Airwave here.

Best,

dp
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

davephillips wrote:So my question is: Can I build Airwave with *only* 32-bit support ?
Currently, you can't. If cmake detects that it is running on 64-bit system, then it includes the building of the 64-bit part. I can easily change this behaviour.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

phant0m wrote:
davephillips wrote:So my question is: Can I build Airwave with *only* 32-bit support ?
Currently, you can't. If cmake detects that it is running on 64-bit system, then it includes the building of the 64-bit part. I can easily change this behaviour.
Thank you, that would be very helpful here. All the Airwave'd plugs that I use are 32-bit anyway.

Best,

dp
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

davephillips wrote:
phant0m wrote: Btw, I have a significant problem building Airwave now. If I'm correct, it wants a 64-bit Wine lib to build its 64-bit support. However, I don't have a 64-bit Wine installed, and as far as I can tell I can't have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed.
dp
I compiled 64bit and 32bit Wine on my 64bit system and compiled Airwave.

Read the Shared WoW64 section
https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine

Some additional notes here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2097 ... os-6-64bit
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

It's done. Now you can disable building of the 64-bit host endpoint by providing an additional command line argument to cmake: -DDISABLE_64BIT

EDIT: the changes are in the develop branch
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

airwave 1.3.2 is released. I hope that Ardour deadlock issue is finally fixed.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Great!
Will try today and report back.
Obtainor

Post by Obtainor »

Thanks for the nice tool. I have an issue I haven't seen addressed anywhere, VSTs don't accept keyboard input, so I can't, for example, play notes in Serum (when the cursor is) in the GUI window, only in Renoise. Don't know if this is due to the DAW, the VST bridge, the WM or what. I use dwm but tried KDE Plasma also.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

It seems like a DAW issue in Linux. When plugin window is active it receives all keyboard input and DAW just doesn't have a chance to process it. This happens even with native plugins. I suggest you buy a MIDI controller.