Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Vrangor
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by Vrangor »

Hi! Any progress with blank window?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Bumping this, I also get the blank window issue in ardour4.
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

bump ditty bumb bump

any progress
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

If it helps any qtractor has no problem loading the gui and using the plugins. I remember reading somewhere that qtractor handles vst a little differently. Not sure if thats correct.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't know. From what I can tell all hosts handle them differently:

Bitwig you just need to close and reopen the gui
Ardour will not load any gui at all
qtractor seems to open guis with no problem
renoise opens most guis without any problem but it has other issues with a few plugins
All the while reaper (without airwave) can open all plugins I have tried, all guis open and doesn't have the few issue renoise has.

I managed to stir the ardour devs enough to look at the problem because it seems quite possible the host doesn't handle something well but then they saw this and assumed it was not their problem:
Known issues

Due to a bug in WINE, there is some hacking involved when embedding the editor window. There is a chance that you get a black window instead of the plugin GUI. Also some areas might not update correctly when increasing the window size. On some hosts (Bitwig Studio for example) this can be solved by closing and re-opening the plugin window.
I don't know which bug this referring to but as far as I can tell there have been 7 wine releases since it airwave was last updated, I wonder if this bug as been addressed in one of these releases?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Hi. I have a problem with Airwave.

I keep all my important stuff in a separate partition, not $HOME. In fact, almost everything in my $HOME directory is a symlink to the actual content in that partition.

So I have a directory there with all my Windows VSTs and I tried to create Airwave links to them, but I can't. The ${WINEPREFIX}/ part is compulsory.

So I thought no problem, this is Linux, so I symlinked the VST directory into ~/.wine/drive_c/ but Airwave won't let me go into that directory when creating a link.

That doesn't seem reasonable to me. :(
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

Luc, vst plugins are not just a bunch of dll files. There are many single-dll freebies, but serious commercial plugins usually use additional resources, which can be installed anywhere inside of the wine prefix. That's why airwave forces user to create links relative to the wine prefix. If you need to keep your plugins on a separate partition, just create a wine prefix there.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I have several programs running outside of the wine prefix. I don't believe that has to be FORCED.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

sysrqer wrote:I don't know which bug this referring to but as far as I can tell there have been 7 wine releases since it airwave was last updated, I wonder if this bug as been addressed in one of these releases?
Well, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that this is a wine bug so I didn't create a bug report. I don't know an easy way to reproduce this issue without using of vst-host, vst-plugin and the airwave. Possibly I could write a simple program, demonstrating the issue. I will think about it.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

I have some news about the blank window issue. The good one: I was able to create a simple workaround which can partly solve the issue. The bad one: my workaround has a form of patch file for WINE. I can create dedicated wine package in ArchLinux User Repository (AUR), but I can't build WINE for all popular Linux distributions. Moreover, many people use patched WINE already (RT, PA and other variants).
I've created a bug report in WINE Bugzilla. I hope that people there will help to fix this bug.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's great news phant0m, hopefully your patch will be merged or the root of the bug fixed upstream. I'll try your patch here though, thank you for looking at the issue.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

falkTX, you're welcome and thanks for the help with wine-rt. Though I doubt that my patch will be merged in its current state as it's just a rough workaround. I'll keep an eye on it.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Blank windows after the last KXstudio update in Renoise...
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

It seems that I was able to fix a resizing issue. At least I can increase the size of plugin windows (tested only with FabFilter plugins) without any blank areas on my machine. I've updated my patch in the Bugzilla.
phant0m
Established Member

Post by phant0m »

akiz wrote:Blank windows after the last KXstudio update in Renoise...
Interesting.. although I don't know what exactly you've updated and whether this update contains the fix. It's better to wait for some comment from falkTX.