Tooltips for note names in piano roll and drum editor

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

kybos
Established Member

Tooltips for note names in piano roll and drum editor

Post by kybos »

Hi,

Note name tooltips are one of the things I miss most in MusE. So I started to implement them, and came across several other issues in the piano roll:
1. It is possible to create events for midi note 128 (going all the way to the top of the canvas), which is invalid.
2. In the two lowest scaling levels an invalid area of the piano is displayed (below C-2, i.e. below midi note 0), if the window is big enough. Moving the mouse into this area leads to undefined behaviour, events are created at random etc.
3. I think setting the scaling by moving the small slider in the scrollbar on the right is quite clumsy, especially because there are so many steps possible (just too many in my opinion, but apparently somebody needed them). Perhaps Ctrl+Mousewheel on the piano would be better for this purpose?

I've tried to implement/fix all of the above and will provide a pull request.

Cheers,
Kybos
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Tooltips for note names in piano roll and drum editor

Post by spamatica »

kybos wrote:Hi,

Note name tooltips are one of the things I miss most in MusE. So I started to implement them, and came across several other issues in the piano roll:
1. It is possible to create events for midi note 128 (going all the way to the top of the canvas), which is invalid.
2. In the two lowest scaling levels an invalid area of the piano is displayed (below C-2, i.e. below midi note 0), if the window is big enough. Moving the mouse into this area leads to undefined behaviour, events are created at random etc.
3. I think setting the scaling by moving the small slider in the scrollbar on the right is quite clumsy, especially because there are so many steps possible (just too many in my opinion, but apparently somebody needed them). Perhaps Ctrl+Mousewheel on the piano would be better for this purpose?

Cheers,
Kybos
Checking out the tooltip, cool! Possibly someone would think the tooltip should be optional but it doesn't bother me.

A bit confused by Ctrl+Mousewheel to change scaling though, didn't it already work like that?

Regaring 1 and 2 I'll take your word for it. Solid improvements.
MusE DAW
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

spamatica wrote:
kybos wrote:Hi,

Cheers,
Kybos
Checking out the tooltip, cool! Possibly someone would think the tooltip should be optional but it doesn't bother me.

A bit confused by Ctrl+Mousewheel to change scaling though, didn't it already work like that?

Regaring 1 and 2 I'll take your word for it. Solid improvements.

Tooltip: Yes, I also thought about making it optional. If you or the other devs think so, mention it in the pull request and tell me how to do it and where to put it (the GUI related settings don't seem to be well structured at the moment).

Ctrl+Mousewheel: Had not worked for me. Mouse wheel always just scrolled, independent of modifier key used.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

kybos wrote: Ctrl+Mousewheel: Had not worked for me. Mouse wheel always just scrolled, independent of modifier key used.
Ah, yes, I think I realized my error. You are talking about vertical zoom in the pianoroll editor, on the actual piano-keys?
I was thinking about horizontal zoom which can be modified by ctrl+mousewheel on the canvas.

So likely I was testing the wrong thing and your fix probably works.

Though I think an improvement would be to do this change in view.cpp instead and use ctrl+shift+mousewheel. Horizontal zoom could then be enabled for all editors by scrolling on the canvas.
I didn't check the code so it might not be as easy as I made it sound ;)
MusE DAW
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Yes, exactly, it's the vertical zoom.
Ctrl+MouseWheel had been without function when over the Piano keys, so I thought it would be a good idea to use it for this purpose.
Moving the functionality to view.cpp sounds a little more complicated. I will have a look when I have time, if you think it necessary.