New! Metronome super-makeover.

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

New! Metronome super-makeover.

Post by Tim E. Real »

In git master now: From ChangeLog:

Code: Select all

* Metronome super-makeover
      * New metronome accents editor with factory and user presets:
      - Choice of global vs. song metronome settings.
      - Re-design metronome dialog, separating into tabs.
      - NOTE: Qt signal/slots macros are OBSOLETE!
        Implemented first usage of Qt 'connect' functors and C++11 lambdas, in metronome dialog.
        Strange, some Qt classes don't seem to have functors? (QCheckBox, QComboBox.)
It may seem a lot of work for some accents. But I figured hey, if we're gonna do accents, let's do 'em right.
Robert began this by adding accents some time ago. But it only worked for 4/* time signatures and only on the up-beats.
But it is virtually impossible for the accents to be 'automatically' placed. Some user intervention was required here.
For example who's to say where the accents should be in a 5/4 signature? Or 7/4?
So after an issue was reported, I fixed 'er up. You can choose the accent sequences, make your own etc.
You can use global metronome settings (that's all of 'em including accents) or choose to make them song-specific
without touching the global settings.
This was an opportunity to try and make MusE's 'global vs. song' settings work correctly.
Sometimes things don't, and global settings are left in a state of the last song, like the mixers for example.
I think (I hope) it works well here with the metronome.

Here are some pics to motivate y'all to get the git:
metronome_prefs_tab.jpeg
metronome_prefs_tab.jpeg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 659 times
metronome_accents_tab.jpeg
metronome_accents_tab.jpeg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: New! Metronome super-makeover.

Post by Tim E. Real »

Also, please note that you should examine the new metronome MIDI tab.
Make sure it looks like the following picture. (Unless you have your own preferred settings already.)
I experimented with midi notes to find the best combination.
The previous settings were using 'bongo' type notes for measure and beat, while the
accents were at 99 and 100 - useless midi drum notes.
But I found that some drum synths don't have 'bongos' and that they were more likely to
have closed high-hat and pedal high-hat and a side-snare sound.
So that's what I used.

Please verify it looks like this because I could NOT automatically change the users' files, in case they had their own settings in there.
You can always wipe out your ~/.config/MusE.cfg file and it will recreate it.
[Edit:] Note to self: "Duh. What? No defaults button here?". Sorry was just copying stuff over, will try to add...
metronome_midi_tab.jpeg
metronome_midi_tab.jpeg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Last edited by Tim E. Real on Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Also if I may comment, although the new Precount feature is useful I never actually use the metronome :oops:
(That's why I added a button to turn off the metronome after precount is done.)

I build all my songs by drum tracks first.
In places where there must be silence (even from drums) I put hi-hats or something in there for the feel during recording,
and then take them out afterwards during playback and mix-down.
You can simply mute individual parts in MusE, say a dedicated hi-hat part for the quiet section.

But speaking of parts on tracks: While working the metronome I considered letting the user use any drum part on any drum track
as the sequence to use for the metronome. Like a drum machine with... patterns... but more advanced than a metronome.
- Well, here the line between a linear song layout DAW and 'pattern' editor becomes blurred.
But I should also mention I've got another branch I am readying in which the 'Clip List Editor' goes from being a forgotten obsolete dumb list of
soundfile references to... an actual clip list. (It's obsolete because that info is now useless after event list makeovers of years ago.)
The point being, the goal is to drag 'n drop midi and wave parts, and external midi and wave resources, to and from the Clip List.
So it becomes like using the parts as patterns - outside of the tracks. Although we already have the very useful 'clone parts'.
Cheers.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Hi Tim, pulled from Git. Testing. Seems ok so far. I can confirm the Midi window looks as yours does, here.

Alex.