How to change Global tempo

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Plug&Play
Established Member

How to change Global tempo

Post by Plug&Play »

I started a midi piece, and decided the tempo was not what I wanted.
I changed the tempo in the piano roll, but it didn't appear to be persistent, tried changing it in the Transport Panel, then I discovered that I had been making tempo changed bar-by bar.

I used ctl-a to select all, but my tempo change still does not effect the entire piece.

How can I make a global change in tempo?
On a similar subject, is the % tempo change intended as a music diagnostic tool?

I'm off to enjoy some live music and see the giant recorders
https://patch.com/california/elcerrito/ ... ton-church
I'll check in tomorrow!

Rob

Music Music Music !
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: How to change Global tempo

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hello, you can quickly turn off the 'bar-by-bar' tempo map by clicking the green 'Use mastertrack tempo' button
found in the Transport and beside every tempo edit box.
Then the value entered in any tempo box is a 'global' tempo for the whole song.
This is assuming you are using a recent MusE version like the current master or the recent 3.1pre.
In older versions I think there is just the 'Use mastertrack' button in the Transport and the 'Enable'
button in the Master Track Editor.

To see your 'bar-by-bar' tempos, open the 'Master Track Editor'.
Yes, we call a tempo map (together with time signatures) a 'Master Track' meaning tempos and time sigs are a sort of track which can be edited.
Thus, this tempo and time sig 'Master Track' can be turned off at will, leaving a global tempo value that is not affected by the Master Track.

The % tempo box and three buttons 50% N(ormal) and 200% simply adjust all tempos by the given percentage.
They provide a quick way to adjust ALL tempos, regardless of whether the Master Track is in use or not.
Plug&Play
Established Member

Post by Plug&Play »

Tim -

Thank you for your help with this. I am using Version 3.02
I am not getting the result that I expect when I change the value in the View -> Transport dialog ( which by the way, can not be made to disappear after it is opened)
I change it, but as my song plays I see it change to the "local" tempo.

I found the Mater Track List (which can not be selected and copied), it has several tempo entries, that last one in the list being the one I entered today in the Transport Dialog.

The key signature is wrong ( 1 sharp = g major ), It just says "C (sharps)"
The midi spec has more information: like this
Track, Time, Key_signature, Key, "major"/"minor"
1, 0, Key_signature, 2, "major"
*** This is not a problem at this time ***

I could edit the list, but I would rather get the global tempo control to work.
I am about done here until this evening.

Rob

Music Music Music !
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Can you please try release version 3.1pre1, or even better, grab the latest git master version.
Yeah, I too noticed problems. So I fixed a lot of them, unfortunately AFTER version 3.0.2 came out.
Here is the ChangeLog from after 3.0.2:

Code: Select all

* Fixes to Master Track functionality, and Transport mini-makeover: (Tim)
        - Fixed: Was impossible to adjust static tempo when Master Track disabled.
        - Removed superfluous tempo and sig boxes from Master Track Graphic toolbars.
        - Enabling external sync no longer forces Master Track off.
        - Added Master button to Tempo toolbar in all windows. Tempo box now obeys it.
        - Replaced Transport tempo and sig boxes with editable spinbox versions.
        - Fixed Transport controls' widths causing too-wide Transport!
        - New Transport buttons and SVG icons.
About the non-existant copy/pate functions of master track graph:
If you install version 3.1pre1 or later, you'll see I added long-absent copy/paste/drag/drop functionality
to the midi controller graphs found in the PianoRoll and Drum Editors. This alone should help many midi fans.
Point being, wait long enough and I'll add that functionality to the master track as well.
It just didn't seem as important at the moment, at least not as much as the controller graphs :wink:

Tim.
Plug&Play
Established Member

Post by Plug&Play »

Tim -
I am compiling code from github.com/muse-sequencer/muse.git
When I did the install for 3.02 I had some problems:
1) the older version was not replace
2) the menu entries were duplicated

I did an uninstall

sudo dpkg -r muse
but I had difficulty removing all traces of the old version.
Can two version be installed at the same time, other things I should know?

I have been using Linux for several years, but have little experience building from source, except for my own simple c programs.

OK - the compile and build worked, should I remove the previous version before I install?

~~~~ edit 12:16 PM Monday 11 Mar 2019 ~~~~
I installed without first remove the previous muse3 version: it was replaced with muse-3.1.0pre1, and there was no duplication in the windows manager.

I had not recognized the "master temp" button in the tempo dialog, perhaps it was working in 3.02

I am back up and running, The project that I was using in 3.02 opened in muse-3.1.0pre1 as expected.
Thank you, Tim, for the suggestion to update my version.

Rob

Music Music Music !
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I wrote:
Can you please try release version 3.1pre1, or even better, grab the latest git master version.
Yeah, I too noticed problems. So I fixed a lot of them, unfortunately AFTER version 3.0.2 came out.
Here is the ChangeLog from after 3.0.2: ...
D'oh! :roll: I noticed a remaining problem with the Signature entry boxes on all the toolbars in the editor windows:
If the green 'use mastertrack tempo' button was off, one could not adjust the signature from those toolbars. (It is supposed to allow it.)
Meanwhile it worked correctly when adjusted from the Transport window, even with masterack turned off.

Sorry if this caused any further confusion. Fixed in git master now. From ChangeLog:

- Fix Time Signature boxes on toolbars: Could not adjust if 'use mastertrack tempo' was off.
        Oops, regression from 22.04.2018