About plugins crashing MusE

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

About plugins crashing MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

We get reports of MusE crashing during startup and plugin discovery. The previous message for example.

I've been responding on a sort of case by case basis. We talked of adding a 'sandbox' during plugin discovery
(there's an issue request by Robert). But there's something else I've been completely forgetting in all of this.

I want to say that regarding the plugins, it might be MusE's fault after all.
I forgot there's an old issue, it concerns C++ 'namespaces' and how loading a library might possibly 'pollute' your app's global variables
with its global variables, if it has any.
Before a developer (Orcan) added our namespaces several years ago, we had more trouble simply discovering plugins.
They would crash MusE more often, I suspected for that reason but could not prove it.
But then after Orcan added the namespaces, I was pleased to see that much cleared up and I appeared to be correct about the problem.
But I believe the fix didn't make MusE completely immune from the problem since we still have some 'global' variables and functions that
are not protected by namespaces.

Also, the plugins themselves do not have, and are not opened in, their own namespaces, so possibly there may be pollution
from plugin to plugin, one overwriting another's global variables when loading them. Not sure...

I really should look closer at that issue and see if needs solving before pinning it down to plugins.

Thing is, I have all these plugins and they seem fine here, so I can't get the problems to occur.

Note that this only applies to LADSPA, DSSI, and (Linux)VST plugin discovery. I think LV2 plugins should be immune
from this problem since an app does not open an LV2 library to discover it, only reading some TTL information.
Although once the LV2 library IS opened, anything might happen I suppose, which brings us back to square one...

Tim.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: About plugins crashing MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hey hey ! Looky here:
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... -429487317

Another user has verified trouble with the CSound csladspa plugins.

Please check if you have that particular package installed.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: About plugins crashing MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK Enough! That does it. I'm making a safe plugin scanner so that this never hap...

DONE!
Please see:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19082

Please test (say, with 'bad' csladspa.so) and report back: