And so I got the bass track incorporated. I also downloaded the 'upload.zip' tracks and will work with them tomorrow as I foresee a relax day. I added to the soundcloud page the new mix:https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam112-fretlessbassmix
The update includes the processed bass track plus two screenshots and some brief notes:https://www.dropbox.com/s/aptvcnjd2oke522/jam112-fbmix-1.0-080617.tar.bz2?dl=1
It sounds very good with the new bass track ! The natural feeling of the bass adds a lot of character.
> I have identified that in the bars 23 and 47 (when setting this to
> 110bpm and considering it as 4/4) there's an 'E' instead of a 'D' in
> the bass - so I replicated that.
So far this is how it's meant to be. The E marks the end of a cycle.
To the fretless bass track I added the subtractive EQ at the top which cuts off the higher end just a bit. Jumping over the 32C EQ the XT-BC shapes the sound in the bass and highs, then follows a chorus to make the sound a bit more spatial and also adds a touch of movement in the notes. This goes into a Pulltec PTM-5A to shape the midrange a tad, then out to a Fairchild compressor. The 32C EQ has a lower shelf at about 30Hz and the 32C compressor works in leveler mode although is barely triggered.
The loudness of some notes were shaped as you can see in the screenshot, so that they merge better with the other tracks.
In a final mix it could very well be that the chorus will be found only on some notes, to accentuate space and movement when needed, perhaps on the slides and the high ending points of the slides for instance.
This is just temporary of course, like a test if you wish. It all happens on the same track, and there's no stem used at this point. And of course, this is all pretty much objective.
As you will notice the other tracks do not have the usual subtractive EQs at the top. This is because the project is still early on. Although I took the opportunity to add one when adding the fretless bass track.
I already hear other modifications that could be made to the bass track to make it merge even better, but I will not do any other processing for now and save that for a later time. The idea gets accross pretty good now as it is. I think though that the bass track is a bit on the loud side at times, but that's OK for now.
I also made the mistake of mixing in the bass track with the master bus mixdown processing active (the master bus compressor and spectral compressor), but I'll leave it at that for now. The master bus processing was modified a bit for the mixdown export as the piece will certainly benefit from a more subtle approach.
Here are a smaller version of the two screenshots: