Korg Pandora PX5D

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kiat
Established Member

Korg Pandora PX5D

Post by kiat »

Anyone got this working? http://www.korg.com/px5d

It's a very useful effects, drum machine, looping memory and works as a sound card too. I can send audio both ways over USB connected to my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop and 11.04 desktop server. Am experimenting at the moment, but no control via Wine or otherwise, yet.

kiat@kiat-glaptop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: PX5D [PANDORA PX5D], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
kiat@kiat-glaptop:~$ lsusb | grep KORG
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0944:0200 KORG, Inc.

-Kiat
UbuntuStudio, KXStudio, AV Linux on a Lenovo Thinkpad X301
h/w: Boss BR-80 ; Zoom B3 : Apogee One ; Alesis SR-16
basses: Fender Precision, Lakland Skyline JO5, Squire P-bass, AXL Jazz
kaimerra
Established Member

Re: Korg Pandora PX5D

Post by kaimerra »

Does it work with Jack?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

kiat wrote:I can send audio both ways over USB connected to my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop and 11.04 desktop server.
cool
Am experimenting at the moment, but no control via Wine or otherwise, yet.
what kind of control are you looking for?
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

I have the old PX2, but that has no USB functionality.

Looking at the spec it looks like it should work as an interface as you say and you can also play the bass and drums via MIDI. Does it show as a MIDI device somewhere? e.g. in Jack?

There is mention of editing software. Is this what you want to run on Wine? The Fender software for their Mustang amps works on Wine, so there is a chance it could work. Or maybe someone will write an app.

I may have to create another wiki page.

Update: Seems MIDI should work soon and he says the editor works
http://www.exp-media.com/content/korg-p ... px5d-linux

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

kiat
Established Member

Post by kiat »

raboof wrote:
kiat wrote:Am experimenting at the moment, but no control via Wine or otherwise, yet.
what kind of control are you looking for?
The SoundEditor software for windows that comes with the PX5D allows editing of the presets, programs and chains etc in a gui. It's more of a "nice to have" than a "must have" though. Would like to do this natively with Linux of course.
kiat
Established Member

Post by kiat »

steevc wrote: Looking at the spec it looks like it should work as an interface as you say and you can also play the bass and drums via MIDI. Does it show as a MIDI device somewhere? e.g. in Jack?
Unfortunately not, in Jack and Patchage I can see the in/out audio on the Pandora but no MIDI.
steevc wrote: Update: Seems MIDI should work soon and he says the editor works
http://www.exp-media.com/content/korg-p ... px5d-linux
Cool, I'd read this but thanks for the reminder and sharing with everyone, but this requires some hackery I'm not ready to do having just got a stable system and being new to LinuxMusic. MIDI would be cool, that would mean I can remote control it from a computer or MIDI attached piano keyboard, right?

But at least I can get sounds out of it now. And hearing audio out of it from my Linux box still makes me smile its so neat!

Proving much more challenging is the Firewire connected Presonus FireStudio Mobile which is the subject of my next post ;)...
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I have debated one of these units for live Bass. I thought it would be an interesting way to get rid of floor pedal clutter. Less wires. I was thinking by literally attaching it to me or the bass I could change effects anywhere as needed (if I can manage to while playing) and also have the ability to add some compression before my wireless unit. Love my line 6 wireless but on one of my "hotter" basses I can clip the wireless while slapping and something like this in line before the transmitter could prevent that.

Ken
kiat
Established Member

Post by kiat »

devilock76 wrote: I was thinking by literally attaching it to me or the bass I could change effects anywhere as needed (if I can manage to while playing)
devlock76 : it's got a metal body, but It's light enough. It has no clip or any other way of fixing to anything, but the back is flat and mostly free (there is a battery compartment covering about 25% of it). It would be possible to fast heavy duty adhesive velcro to it and I'm contemplating doing just that but undecided what to stick it to. Maybe left-side belt, as I'm right handed. I also prefer the magic of wireless and have ordered a wireless RF headset that I can use with this as I'm much more fed up of the headphone cable than bass cable when practising. For on stage, if you try it, do let me know how it goes.
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

Will do, probably not a near future mod as I am pretty happy with my GT-6B for stage use. I just wish it was a hair narrower to fit on a rack shelf so it would be one less bag in my rig transport. I spent good money to build an ultra loud and ultra light bass rig. I am always looking at ways to improve setup time, transport time and weight and of course less wires on the floor.

Ken
soulfish
Established Member

Post by soulfish »

I can confirm the PX5D works like a charm under Linux for audio, as for the MIDI part someone was writing about (you've linked my article about it), I can also confirm it works like a charm with the patch that will be included in the next kernel release (3.0), allowing to run the official Korg Sound Editor via Wine, as you can see in this screenshot:

Unlocking the MIDI-USB on the Pandora allows for writing a Linux native patch editor, which I've begun working on... and will hopefully release one day.

The Pandora is a very nice tool, maybe not for live situations, but for home recording and practicing, it is a very very good tool.
soulfish
Established Member

Post by soulfish »

It seems like ages since I started working on a prototype for a native Linux editor for the PX5D, but I finally released stable version 0.1 of "PX5D Editor for Linux"! More info available at the dedicated site:

http://www.exp-media.com/px5d_editor_linux

Right now you can edit and save presets, but more features will be coming soon (including drum machine edition).

Testers welcome!
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

This looks great. Thank you. Now this becomes an option.
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

Can it be used as a "footswitch to midi" converter for other programs ?
soulfish
Established Member

Post by soulfish »

Not sure what you mean by "footswitch to midi". What I have on the roadmap is to create a virtual midi input to make the editor react to standard midi program changes (the pandora unit only understands a custom sysex command format for that). You can plug an analog footswitch in the pandora, though I don't have one I guess it will not generate a midi event itself, but will only change the program on the unit (that last action will trigger a midi event though). I guess it wouldn't be to difficult to make the editor create a virtual midi output port too, that would send midi program changes when you change program on the pandora. Would that fit what you're thinking about, or could you explain a use case ?
StephDAVOS
Established Member

Post by StephDAVOS »

Thanks for getting back. I would like to be able to use my PX5D somehow like this a USB version of this : http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

It would be awesome it could generate MIDI events on footswitch push event. I would plug my Digitech FS300 and drive my software guitar gear.