Inexpensive MIDI keyboard

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pablo
Established Member

Inexpensive MIDI keyboard

Post by Pablo »

I'm thinking of buying a M-audio Keyrig 49. I want to use it as a MIDI recording device in Rosegarden. If it had a MIDI OUT I would be rather sure it would work through my Audiophile 2496 but I think it's connected via a USB cable.
Is anyone using one of this, or is there is something similar which is known to work under Linux?
Thanx in advance.
Pablo
(64studio 2.1)
Last edited by Pablo on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I'm pretty interested in this too. Right now I'm also looking an M-Audio Keystation 88es USB MIDI Keyboard Controller that connects via USB. I'm a total midi controller noob, so I have no idea if I have to get another piece of hardware to interface with the computer, or what. Thoughts?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I'm looking for a midi keyboard too, although I'd rather have a electr. piano which I can use for midi too or a midi keyboard which plays as a piano...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

nathan wrote:also looking at M-Audio Keystation 88es USB MIDI Keyboard Controller that connects via USB. I'm a total midi controller noob, so I have no idea if I have to get another piece of hardware to interface with the computer, or what.
I have the 49-key variant of that one (the 49e), which basically 'just works': you plug it into the usb port and it shows up in qjackctl et al, after which you can connect it like you would connect applications like vkeybd.

The pitch bend and modulation wheels and the octave functions all work fine out of the box. I haven't found a need for the 'advanced functions' button yet.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I think I'll buy it. I posted the same question in the 64Studio forum: http://www.64studio.com/node/523. Interesting answers there too.
Thank you for your support.
Pablo
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

raboof wrote:
I have the 49-key variant of that one (the 49e), which basically 'just works': you plug it into the usb port and it shows up in qjackctl et al, after which you can connect it like you would connect applications like vkeybd.
Nice! If can earn some extra income I will definitely be picking that up. Do you like the 49e?
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

It works!
Yes, plug and play.
Thank you
Pablo
james=jwm//art@net
Established Member

Post by james=jwm//art@net »

I sometimes wish the 49e had more keys, and was a bit more straight forward to change settings. Otherwise, yeah, it does the job. And no aftertouch... [but it's cheap and that was/is all I could afford].
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Pablo wrote:It works!
Yes, plug and play.
Thank you
Pablo
And do you like it?

what are other good options for a midi keyboard?

what about this fatar one?
http://www.musicstore.de:80/en_EN/GBP/F ... 002399-000

edit: how does midi sounds with for example zynsubaddfx or vkeybd with qsynth? When I press three or more tones at ones (chords) I here a distorted sound comming out of my speakers...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:how does midi sounds with for example zynsubaddfx or vkeybd with qsynth? When I press three or more tones at ones (chords) I here a distorted sound comming out of my speakers...
I get that with qsynth sometimes, and fix it by turning down the gain in qsynth.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

raboof wrote:
studio32 wrote:how does midi sounds with for example zynsubaddfx or vkeybd with qsynth? When I press three or more tones at ones (chords) I here a distorted sound comming out of my speakers...
I get that with qsynth sometimes, and fix it by turning down the gain in qsynth.
Thanks, that fixed it.

BTW: Does the M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61 works on linux?
becks
Established Member

Post by becks »

raboof wrote:
another suggestion: i use jackrack + limiter (and sometime compressor) to avoid output level reaching 0db

just route all your output (zyna, qsynth etc) to jackrack, and jackrack to system out audio
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Thanks Becks.

Does anyone know the Fatar studio 2001? Good?

edit: any experiences with Fatar at all???