Mint 19.2 how to start jackaudio?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

deepakdeshp
Established Member

Mint 19.2 how to start jackaudio?

Post by deepakdeshp »

When I start qjackctl, the jackd daemon starts. Is this the same as starting jackaudio? If not, how do I start jackaudio?

Code: Select all

ps -e |grep jack
 7615 pts/0    00:00:01 qjackctl
 7633 ?        00:00:02 jackd
milo
Established Member

Re: Mint 19.2 how to start jackaudio?

Post by milo »

Yes, jack is running on your system. Are you able to connect audio between apps in qjackctl? Are you getting sound out to your speakers?
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

milo wrote:Yes, jack is running on your system. Are you able to connect audio between apps in qjackctl? Are you getting sound out to your speakers?
I am not sure how to do that.
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

My built in speakers work, though without using jack. I don't know how to use speakers using jack.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

When the jackd process is running, like on your system, then Jackaudio is indeed started like you asked. :)

Wanna hear anything through your speakers if Jack is started? Lets say that you've got some audio playing through an app called Audacious. Then open the "Connect" window from qjackctl. You use the mouse in the "Audio" tab to connect the output from Audacity to your system's input ('system input' is secret speak for "speakers"). See screenshot below.

Good luck!

P.S. For most audio applications (i.e. a DAW) you must choose to use Jack instead of Alsa in a Settings window. Beware: some apps aren't "Jack aware".
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:When the jackd process is running, like on your system, then Jackaudio is indeed started like you asked. :)

Wanna hear anything through your speakers if Jack is started? Lets say that you've got some audio playing through an app called Audacious. Then open the "Connect" window from qjackctl. You use the mouse in the "Audio" tab to connect the output from Audacity to your system's input ('system input' is secret speak for "speakers"). See screenshot below.

Good luck!

P.S. For most audio applications (i.e. a DAW) you must choose to use Jack instead of Alsa in a Settings window. Beware: some apps aren't "Jack aware".
I started qjackctl and hit connect button , but I dont get the audacious-jack in the audio tab of the JACK audio connection kit. Does it mean Jack isnt running?

ps -e|grep jack
 5637 pts/0    00:00:02 qjackctl
 5657 ?        00:00:01 jackd
jack.png
jack.png (29.75 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
jack.png
jack.png (32.6 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

deepakdeshp wrote: [...] I started qjackctl and hit connect button , but I dont get the audacious-jack in the audio tab of the JACK audio connection kit. Does it mean Jack isnt running?

ps -e|grep jack
 5637 pts/0    00:00:02 qjackctl
 5657 ?        00:00:01 jackd
[...]
The ps command shows me that you haven't got Audacious running, Jack is though. I don't know what exactly you want to achieve. What application do you want to run in combination w/ Jack?

[edit] Oops! Thanks to @Milo's post below this one I see that you grepped ps on jack. You, indeed, might have started Audacious...
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Audacious can run with or without JACK. I think the default is without in most distros. You have to dig through the Audacious settings if you want to use JACK.

The same is true of Audacity.
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

I installed audacious and can play a file through it which is audible on my built in speakers. When I start qjackctl, I cant hear it playing.
After starting qjackctl when I hit connect button , I see following figure. I want to connect qjackctl to audacious as you have done but I dont know how to do it
jack.png
jack.png (26.05 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I'm not at my Linux box right now, because I'm a Windows user at work, so these instructions are from memory and might not be entirely accurate:

1. Go to the Audacious menu and choose the Sounds tab or submenu.
2. There is a drop-down menu for which sound system to use. The default is probably ALSA (or maybe PulseAudio). Change this to JACK.
3. Restart Audacious and see if it shows up in the qjackctl connections window.

One other detail: Audacious won't play a file that is not at the same sample rate at what JACK is running. Most of your audio files are probably in 44.1 KHz, so make sure JACK is running at 44.1 before trying to play a file in Audacious. There is a workaround for this within Ardour, an extension that resamples the audio output to match whatever the current JACK rate is, but don't worry about that for now.
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

milo wrote:
One other detail: Audacious won't play a file that is not at the same sample rate at what JACK is running. Most of your audio files are probably in 44.1 KHz, so make sure JACK is running at 44.1 before trying to play a file in Audacious. There is a workaround for this within Ardour, an extension that resamples the audio output to match whatever the current JACK rate is, but don't worry about that for now.
Thank you. That did it. I am able to play a file through Audacious when the setting is for Jack.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

deepakdeshp wrote:
milo wrote:
Thank you. That did it. I am able to play a file through Audacious when the setting is for Jack.
Sorry for my sloppy typing. That shoukd have said, " There is a workaround for this within Audacius..." Too many audio apps that start with the letter A. (While trying to write this correction I typed Audacity!)

The plugin is called "Sample Rate Converter" and it works like a charm. Unfortunately you have to specify the target sample rate manually - it won't detect it automagically. So if you change the JACK sample rate you will have to dig through the settings to change the target rate in Audacious too.

I'm glad you got it working, despite my typing challenge! :)
deepakdeshp
Established Member

Post by deepakdeshp »

milo wrote:
deepakdeshp wrote:
milo wrote:
I have been trying to do this for months but your instructions made me do it. I am thankful.I never used any converter. Yet using Jack I was able to get sound to my built in speakers.