Roland UA-4FX2

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

odyssey27
Established Member

Roland UA-4FX2

Post by odyssey27 »

Hello everybody! I bought Roland UA-4FX2 a few days ago. It it is updated version of edirol ua-4fx, which was working on linux according to this forum.
I have ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed and when I plug in audio interface I see 2 input devices in sound settings (1 - Analog Input - UA-4FX2; 2 - Digital Input(S/PDIF) - UA-4FX2), but input level shows no changes. I tried to install Ubuntu Studio audio packages to my existing ubuntu 18.04 LTS and configure QjackCtl and ubuntu studio controls, but it does not help. All I want to do is to record my voice in Audacity or OBS(Open Broadcaster Software).
odyssey27
Established Member

Re: Roland UA-4FX2

Post by odyssey27 »

So can somebody help me? I have a few day to figure out is this audio interface supported on linux or not. If not I'll return it back. I can pay some money for consulting and help.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

If you see it in sound settings -- it's working with Linux. I imagine the sound settings you're referring to is in PulseAudio.

Have you installed Audacity?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

What does "alsamixer" indicate for controls? Can you use it to control the I/O volume? Alsamixer shows all settings options of your interface under Linux.
According to https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matri ... and_Edirol it is not supported, which doesn't mean it doesn't work. The UA-3FX is listed.

I would buy an audio/MIDI interface which is already listed as executable (on the ALSA HP or for example here in the forum) otherwise you have to tinker a lot and maybe you can only use a few functions of the interface, and even the possibly not 100% correct.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
odyssey27
Established Member

Post by odyssey27 »

khz wrote:What does "alsamixer" indicate for controls? Can you use it to control the I/O volume? Alsamixer shows all settings options of your interface under Linux.
According to https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matri ... and_Edirol it is not supported, which doesn't mean it doesn't work. The UA-3FX is listed.

I would buy an audio/MIDI interface which is already listed as executable (on the ALSA HP or for example here in the forum) otherwise you have to tinker a lot and maybe you can only use a few functions of the interface, and even the possibly not 100% correct.
I see nothing in alsamixer too. Image
Should I install jack or configure something in ~/.asoundrc ?
What other audio interfaces compatible with linux can you recommend? I need some interface with processor effects such as noise reduction, chorus, reverb, tube simulation. That's why I bought roland ua4fx-2.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I'm afraid that what alsamixer shows as "everything" is what works under Linux. https://linux.die.net/man/1/alsamixer
Since the card is not listed on the ALSA HP and also otherwise quite few information are to be found it looks ... .
I made good experiences with RME so far. I have one without Totalmix effects because they don't work under Linux anyway. Also you can't control the Totalmix via MIDI. Despite Class Compliance of some devices not fully usable. ...
I don't know.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

This isn't looking so good. It's unlikely you'll get full functionality with Linux -- that would require a proprietary driver. I have a Roland GR-55 guitar synth and Roland are not at all Linux friendly.

If you want to use Linux a different interface would be better.
odyssey27
Established Member

Post by odyssey27 »

merlyn wrote:This isn't looking so good. It's unlikely you'll get full functionality with Linux -- that would require a proprietary driver. I have a Roland GR-55 guitar synth and Roland are not at all Linux friendly.

If you want to use Linux a different interface would be better.
Thanks for reply! Actually now audio interface is not functioning at all:) What can be made to at least get some functionality?
What audio interfaces compatiable with linux can you recommend? I read that roland rubix 24 is working on linux and it is class compilant. But also I need some realtime effects because I record videos about programming and I need some noise gate at least not to record keyboard and mouse clicks. So I am thinking of buying second hand edirol ua-3fx or ua-4fx. What you thoughts? Or maybe I can combine rubix 24 with something else to get such effects?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

odyssey27 wrote:What audio interfaces compatiable with linux can you recommend?
To be able to provide a sensible answer the question has to be narrowed down. What USB interfaces around £100?

My own feeling is that the effects on the UA-4FX2 are a bit of a gimmick. You could do all that in software after you record it. So USB -- it's really class compliant or the highway. There are exceptions, like the Focusrite Scarletts. For more than a nanosecond I thought that Focusrite were actually a decent company because their interfaces worked with Linux painlessly. This was in fact due to effort on the part of open source developers. Scarlett gen 2 work, I'm not sure about gen 3.

The most reliable indicator that a device is really class compliant is : does it work with Apple ios? There is no way to install drivers on ios, so devices must be class compliant.
shallots

Post by shallots »

Hi guys,

I made this new account after a less than sensible decision last night to order a UA-4FX2 I found on sale. I was scouring the interwebs hoping to find confirmation everything will be fine in Linux (I use Ubuntu), but it's not looking to promising. But I feel there's reason to hold out a little hope...

Firstly I've been using the UA-4FX "V1" for years on and off. It's by no means the best "quality" device, but it does fulfil a niche for realtime effects such as for gaming; even if it's just to add a little tube "warmth" to my mic. And I imagine it must be similarly useful for a low tech (low care?) live performance.

AFAIK the lack of info in the alsamixer screenshot isn't an issue since it's a hardware limitation and long been known on "V1". That is, the device is essentially a hardware mixer in itself and so there's no software controls or information (which I hope simplify the drivers). For reference my "V1" which is fully functional looks almost identical in alsamixer (in both "advanced" mode, and the "class compliant" mode).

I'm by no means an expert, so please give me advice. But part of what gives me hope is that alsamixer ever registers "V2" as a device. Also from my knowledge of both devices I'm assuming they reused the same IC's just with a different PCB and form factor with maybe a few upgraded surface components and an tweaked firmware. In which case I'm assuming the I/O drivers will be basically (if not exactly) identical.. From Here you can see the "class compliant" mode (44.1kHz/16b) has been functional since Ubuntu 6.10. And the "advanced" mode, which would usually require proprietary drivers, has been working since Ubuntu v9.10 in 2010. So since "V2" is such a close rehash of V1 with likely identical components and/or protocols it should be easy to get V2 working right? Right?

Sorry for the ramble but I was hoping someone can chime in on whether I'm on the right track and how to proceed from here. I've been using Linux for a while but never really dabbled too far in the lower level stuff. But at least for starters I'd like to know how to try run the V2 with "V1" drivers. Anyone know how? Any other advice?

Or maybe it just works already? OP said they saw the device but didn't even try play a sound through it?
odyssey27
Established Member

Post by odyssey27 »

shallots wrote:Hi guys
Hi, so have you bought this audio interface?
kesseldrink

Post by kesseldrink »

Hi,
I bought one out of curiosity but didn't manage to get it going. Jack freezes when I want to start it with the UA-4FX2 selected. Pulseaudio shows the device but not as a duplex device. So you can only use it either as output or input, but not both at a time. To sad since I really like the device. Its small and the effects are very nice. I think about trying the Roland VT-4.