New here, first question on how to record of tiny amp?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arpegadream
Established Member

New here, first question on how to record of tiny amp?

Post by arpegadream »

I'm on a wonderful budget, IOW, almost nothing, sigh.

My brother in law has a Beringer box, that might be a solution, but I don't know the box.

I run Linux Mint on an ASUS Z97 motherboard home built system. I only have a tiny 15 watt used Fender amp with no speaker out, but headphone jack.

How can I use the headphone jack, and record my more ephemeral moments for posterity all while listening with my headphones since I live in an apartment with neighbors?

I realize I need to attenuate the mic input and just splitting the headphone out to the computer and my headphones will just lead to bad distortion and other issues, yes? I only own electric guitars, modest ones, an Epi Les Paul that was rescued from waste after breaking completely at the base of the neck (it's a great guitar) and a less well known Hagstrom F-20t that I also adore. I used to make decent money and owned some finer instruments, but those days are gone in the wind.

I have two desires when it comes to recording: A record for myself to refer to a week later when I've forgotten something cool. And sharing with friends and family only. I have no desire to do pro recordings this way, if I ever get where I want to do so, I will be sure to find a way to do it correctly!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: New here, first question on how to record of tiny amp?

Post by tavasti »

arpegadream wrote: My brother in law has a Beringer box, that might be a solution, but I don't know the box.
Check what box it is/what connectors it has.
arpegadream wrote: How can I use the headphone jack, and record my more ephemeral moments for posterity all while listening with my headphones since I live in an apartment with neighbors?
What about connecting your amp headphone jack to mic connector (be carefull with volume knob not to damage your pc) and your headphones to pc.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Yeah, that's a great idea. Thanks.

As far as the box, all I remember of the BEhringer is it has two inputs? I think it worked on my linux laptop, but I don't recall.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

arpegadream wrote:Yeah, that's a great idea. Thanks.

As far as the box, all I remember of the BEhringer is it has two inputs? I think it worked on my linux laptop, but I don't recall.
Might have been this one link:

It has instrument and line inputs. According to the manual you can connect a guitar to one of it's inputs if you set it to "instrument". It's about 65 Euro. There's also the even smaller UMC22 (approx 40 Euro) which also has an instrument input. I have it's bigger brother, the 404 which is "class compliant" so it doesn't need a special driver (or better: the driver is in the Linux kernel).
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Thank you, I'll find out this weekend I think (which one it is). I see people here talking about class compliant, need to read more about that. Thank you!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

arpegadream wrote:Thank you, I'll find out this weekend I think (which one it is). I see people here talking about class compliant, need to read more about that. Thank you!
The way I see "class compliant": works plug and play in Linux. ;)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I am really curious about a Fender amp with no speaker output. That doesn't sound right. Can you share some detail about what you have?

Much of the benefit of using an amp is the way it drives the speaker and how you mic the cabinet. If you're not doing that, consider just using Guitarix! You'll have a lot of flexibilty and it sounds pretty good.
listenable at c6a7.org
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

You misunderstand. The 15 watt Fender mini amp has a speaker, but no external speaker out connection.