Looking for a good quality Audio interface... for cheap...

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pix Retro
Established Member

Looking for a good quality Audio interface... for cheap...

Post by Pix Retro »

Hey peeps...

I'm in the need of a decent audio interface.... i think...

I currently have a SB audigy RX which shows up as about 20 devices and I can't work out which is the right thing to use...

I also have a Makerhart Justmixer 5... which is USB powered, but doesnt seem to be picked up under linux as an input... its recognised as a thing but again doesn't seem to be picked up by jack

I'm sick of messing about.. my current options i have seen are the Behringer FCA 1616 - but i've heard midi doesnt work... and also looking at an Edirol/roland FA101... are these fully functional in linux? does the midi work on them....

any help or pointers would be good... My Mobo is pretty old so it has powered Firewire and a PCI slot.... Thanks in advance!
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Looking for a good quality Audio interface... for cheap...

Post by bluebell »

https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_sca ... arch_prv_0

Beware:Only 1st and 2nd Gen are perfect for Linux.

The upcoming 3rd Gen is probably broken because you need Windows or Mac to switch it to Class Compliant mode.

But 1st and 2nd Gen are great.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

Cheers... I'd spotted them... But I'm hoping to get a optical on/out too... But for new stuff definitely is at the forefront...

As a curiosity... Would this replace a sound card? It's been a while since I tried to record anything and can't remember if it will or not...
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I own the Behringer UMC1820 (the FCA1616's replacement model) and am happy with it. I have an ADA8200 connected to it via ADAT which gives me 16 ins and outs with no fuss. I haven't tried hooking up a MIDI device to its ports yet as I mainly record live instruments.
Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

I own the Behringer UMC1820 and am happy with it. I have an ADA8200 connected to it via ADAT which gives me 16 ins and outs. I haven't tried hooking up a MIDI device to it's ports yet as I mainly record live instruments.
I was never sure if that was an interface... Is the ADA8200 just a way of adding more inputs? Might not need that many just yet... :D
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Pix Retro wrote:[...] I'm in the need of a decent audio interface.... i think...
[...]
my current options i have seen are the Behringer FCA 1616 - but i've heard midi doesnt work
Wow! That's a pretty expensive and extensive audio device! I was gonna ask if you want 2 or 4 inputs and was going to commend the Behringer UMC202HD or 404. They're class compliant so no hassle w/ drivers or special software to access features. I also read that you want digital in or out. Wow. Maybe the Behringer UMC1820 is something for you. It's from the same "U-Phoria" series as the 202 and the 404 so it might be class compliant. Has s/pdif and ADAT too and is "only" € 190 (link).

Good luck in choosing and let us hear want you choose and if it works well in Linux. :)
Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

Yeah... I kinda realised i was pushing my luck at £100.. :D

at the moment i probably don't need all the inputs but i'll end up needing them in future so might as well get it all now...

and the 1820 is looking like the right choice... just need to know about midi... i'll probably end up getting it anyway!! :D
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Pix Retro wrote:[...]just need to know about midi... i'll probably end up getting it anyway!! :D
You asked tht in another topic too. I think (dunno for sure) that Midi should be supported really good. I mean: the usb audio interface we're talking about only has Midi in and out... How hard can that be...
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

I've got an M-audio 1x1 midisport and can't get it to work at all...

it lights up and recognises input but i can't get it to show in linux at all...

Kinda hoping that if the 1820 is plug n play then it should detect midi too...

guess i'll find out when i bite the bullet and buy it! :D

atm i only need one midi so if i can get started with that and if i need more i can add them later...
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Pix Retro wrote:I've got an M-audio 1x1 midisport and can't get it to work at all...

it lights up and recognises input but i can't get it to show in linux at all...

Kinda hoping that if the 1820 is plug n play then it should detect midi too...

guess i'll find out when i bite the bullet and buy it! :D

atm i only need one midi so if i can get started with that and if i need more i can add them later...
I use it's little brother, the 404, and I can connect Midi synths to it via the old fashioned 5-pin DIN socket. What Midi devices do you want to connect? Midi over USB or old fashioned 5-pin Midi?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

P.S. About that M-audi midi to USB device: you can also use a cable thingy fro Aliexpress (link). Dirt cheap and works like a charm on Linux, Android etc. No driver needed. :) Pretty darn weird that the M-Audio won't work...
Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

5 pin mainly....

I've a keyboard which would be the main input... but then I use a lot of old computers... I'm learning to use a c64 and zx spectrums to make music with.. :D

I may just need audio inputs rather than using the computer to control them... I'm stil learning! :D

but i play guitar and bass too and am building my first eurorack synths so i'll need the inputs sooner or later...

and that cable really works? dammit... would have bought that over the midisport if i'd have known!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm a little late to this conversation, but what precisely are you trying to do? How many inputs do you need? What do you need optical for?

If you're trying to record a five-person band with multiple mics on the percussion set, then sure, get one of the bigger interfaces with 16 inputs and ADAT in case you want to expand the number of inputs.

If you are doing electronic music and you have a few hardware synthesizers that you want to record on multiple tracks at once, and maybe a mic or two for live audio, go with one of the middle weight interfaces.

If you're a one-person operation layering one or two tracks at a time, there's no reason that a smaller interface won't work.

There are Focusrite models that fit each of the above examples, and most of them include midi in/out ports. I'm using Scarlett 2i4, and yes, I use it to replace my sound card, I have the mobo's built in sound hardware disabled. Even though I keep wanting to be a gear head and get a bigger interface, I don't really need it for what I'm doing, so I stick with what I have.

There are also other brands that will work just fine, Behringer and M-Audio come to mind, you just have to make sure you get the right model because not everything will work on Linux. The point is, let us know some solid requirements and we'll be able to give you better suggestions.
Pix Retro
Established Member

Post by Pix Retro »

cheers for the response...

I was looking for something that will cover me for pretty much anything... The behringer DMC1820 someone reccomended seems perfect...

The intention is for multple track recording... and posibly live performance depending on how i decide i'd be able to cope... :D

i'm looking for something that will allow me to grow and not limit things in the future... even if i only end up using 3 outputs and a couple of inputs...

there's also the possiblity of youtubeyness, podcasts and whatever else i decide to do! i think you're right... one of the 2i4's proabably would be enough for now... but i'd most likely need to upgrade in the future anyway... plus i think the behringer is cheaper! :D
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

The ADA8200 just adds 8 more ins and outs, not necessary if you don't need them. The UMC1820 is also Class Compliant, so no additional work is needed to get it recognized on Linux. On AVLinux, it is ready to go upon startup. Ardour sees it as a MIDI device, but I do not have MIDI cables to plug into it to confirm functionality. I see no reason it wouldn't function as I have used a M-Audio Class Compliant MIDI keyboard in the past with no issues, and I would assume this is using the same spec since there are no MIDI or audio drivers to download for Mac on Behringer's webpage.