Looking for a good quality Audio interface... for cheap...

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

merlyn
Established Member

Re: Looking for a good quality Audio interface... for cheap...

Post by merlyn »

Pix Retro wrote:I've got an M-audio 1x1 midisport and can't get it to work at all...

it lights up and recognises input but i can't get it to show in linux at all...
It could be your configuration. Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

amidi -l
If the midisport is recognised then you probably need a2jmidid.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

For the midisport you need to have the package "midisport-firmware" installed.
VennStone
Established Member

Post by VennStone »

MIDI works on the FCA1616. Using it to control my X-touch compact control surface.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Drumfix wrote:For the midisport you need to have the package "midisport-firmware" installed.
Supertip, thanks! :)
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

FWIW, since you mentioned the Edirol FA101 in your initial post: I've been using one for well over a decade, and it's worked beautifully on Linux the whole time.
I was not happy about retiring it, but my Firewire-equipped workstation packed it in, and I can't justify buying another just to get that interface. Not yet, anyway.

To replace it in the medium term, I bought a Mackie Producer 2x2, partly because they make a point of explicitly supporting Linux. For €109, I'm impressed - that thing's good! For as long as you can get by on 2 ins, 2 outs and MIDI in/out, it's worth seriously considering.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Jamesf wrote: To replace it in the medium term, I bought a Mackie Producer 2x2, partly because they make a point of explicitly supporting Linux. For €109, I'm impressed - that thing's good! For as long as you can get by on 2 ins, 2 outs and MIDI in/out, it's worth seriously considering.
That's interesting! Is it this device?

I was reading the page and the manual, but I did not found any statement of Linux hardware compatibility, just this about related software:

From the website:
Waveform oem™ DAW

Waveform OEM is a multi award-winning workstation, featuring powerful and creative tools to inspire the modern musician. Unlike typical ‘Lite’ versions, it does not impose any restrictions – you get unlimited track count, powerful features, compatibility with all popular plugins and efficient performance on Mac®, Windows®, and Linux® operating systems.
From the manual:
Tracktion™ Music Production Software + DAW Essentials Collection Plug-Ins Included
16 plug-ins including Equaliser, Compressor, Reverber8, Limiter, Auto Filter, and more
Plug-ins compatible with all DAWs AAX/AU/VST/LinuxVST)
To your knowledge, is the Linux hardware compatibility stated somewhere?

Anyway, looks like a nice piece of kit!
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

CrocoDuck wrote:
Jamesf wrote: To replace it in the medium term, I bought a Mackie Producer 2x2, partly because they make a point of explicitly supporting Linux. For €109, I'm impressed - that thing's good! For as long as you can get by on 2 ins, 2 outs and MIDI in/out, it's worth seriously considering.
That's interesting! Is it this device?
It is indeed that device.

I've used it to capture the MIDI output from a Beatbuddy drum-machine/pedal, so I can confirm that that side of things works neatly as well. At least, it does with Jack and Ardour.
CrocoDuck wrote:I was reading the page and the manual, but I did not found any statement of Linux hardware compatibility, just this about related software
To your knowledge, is the Linux hardware compatibility stated somewhere?
Looking back through it, maybe it isn't :scratches head:

Looks like I leapt to conclusions based on the mention of Linux compatibility for the software bundled with it, and the explicit mention of LinuxVST compatiblity in the manual. It seemed unlikely that they'd associate that with a device that isn't compatible, though it's true that it wouldn't be the first time a vendor made that mistake.

Well, in practice it's almost disconcertingly plug-and-play class-compliant, so at least I leapt to a correct conclusion.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Jamesf wrote:Well, in practice it's almost disconcertingly plug-and-play class-compliant, so at least I leapt to a correct conclusion.
Nice one. I will keep mackie under the radar from now on.