SCARLETT 3RD GEN just announced

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Re: SCARLETT 3RD GEN just announced

Post by bluebell »

OMG, it's worse than I thought.

Focusrite support informed me that Solo and 2i2 are class compliant and have controls for the new "Air" setting, but the interface is shipped in MSD (mass storage devide) mode. Some of us remember the pain with "zeroconf" network devices that presented themselves to the computer as storage device with Windows drivers that had to be loaded to switch the device in its desired mode.

So you either need a Windows-PC or Mac to enable the device or maybe it's possible to use the zeroconf tools.

It's not clear to me and I don't feel like asking if the device forgets the setting after power off.

They broke it for Linux users. R.I.P. Scarlett.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

Update .... there is a way of getting the 3rd gen out of MSD mode by holding down the 48v button it's somewhere in the manual , this was mentioned recently in the on going 18i20 2nd gen mixer thread ........ So these may after all work . I'm looking into getting the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 in late August or September , as I only need the 3/4 inputs for my outbourd mic pre .
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

In order to force your Scarlett 4i4 out of MSD mode without first registering it, connect it to your host
computer and press and hold the 48V button for five seconds. This will ensure that your Scarlett 4i4
has full functionality. Please bear in mind that should you wish to register your Scarlett 4i4 after
taking this action, you will need to so manually, as explained above.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Could someone who owns it please post an accurate report of what works and what doesn't on GNU/Linux?

It would also be useful to share it on h-node and the LinuxAudio Wiki.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Be.
Established Member

Post by Be. »

:( It looks like the Scarlett 4i4 does not have direct monitoring controls on the hardware. I guess I'll recommend Linux users avoid this new generation of Scarletts then. There are still plenty of 1st and 2nd generation devices out there and probably will be for years.
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

Running the 18i20 Gen 1 on Ubuntu low latency with Jack 128fresm/3 period/buffer 8msec + an Octopre dynamic and zero XRUNs just fine :-). 64Kb (4msec) is just at the border with some XRUNS

A bit disappointed the 2nd ADAT does not allow expansion to 24 channels @ 44KHz, I send FR requests so many times to ask for more channels. I read somewhere that there is no (USB) chipset to support it. when looking the XMOS chipset does but maybe that is not the one FR uses. 16 channels simply is not enough.

Not sure it's worth to upgrade and besides what does the Clarett offer now that the 3rd gen support air ?
Can you really hear that less noise on a Clarett for the home studio use ? Maybe some could compare a Gen 3 with very old versions, like the Octoptre MK I. is there really so much difference ?

Wonder we will see 2nd Gen Scarlett Octopre / Dynamic. FR has updates the scarlett range now so often in the past years.