RME Fireface UCX in Linux 5.1

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eikakot
Established Member

RME Fireface UCX in Linux 5.1

Post by eikakot »

stanlea
Established Member

Re: RME Fireface UCX in Linux 5.1

Post by stanlea »

Thanks, what does this support better than simple Class Compliant ?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -UCX-Linux

What is unclear for me is the availability of this patch, as Kernel 5.0 is not ready yet. Could this patch be applied on actual kernels ?
kflak
Established Member

Post by kflak »

I own a Fireface UCX, and have been using linux-ck 5.1.x. for a little while now, but I don't really see/hear any difference from previous versions. I was (naively) hoping for native control of the animal through alsamixer, but I don't see any. Nor do I see much difference in terms of latency. Would be great to know what the fuzz is all about... Or do I have to modprobe something to get the thing to work properly? Unfortunately my C skills aren't up to the task of decifring the git diff.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

kflak wrote:I own a Fireface UCX, and have been using linux-ck 5.1.x. for a little while now, but I don't really see/hear any difference from previous versions. I was (naively) hoping for native control of the animal through alsamixer, but I don't see any. Nor do I see much difference in terms of latency. Would be great to know what the fuzz is all about... Or do I have to modprobe something to get the thing to work properly? Unfortunately my C skills aren't up to the task of decifring the git diff.
Are you using it via USB or firewire?
I'm not a C hacker myself, but I do spend way too much of my time doing code forensics.. One thing that stood out was that all the files being patched are under

Code: Select all

/sound/firewire/
, which strongly implies to me that it's specifically for firewire operation and won't affect USB usage.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
kflak
Established Member

Post by kflak »

Oh dear... I am using it with USB. Haven't seen a firewire cable in ages. Might have to get me an adapter, then, to benefit from this. Thanks for staring at the code!
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

Reviving this post, because I'm finally looking seriously at getting/building a new non-laptop DAW, and it's just possible that my beloved FA-101 will refuse to do its thing. If that happens, I'll probably be deciding between a UCX and an AIO plus... not quite sure yet.

So, how have you found the UCX as an interface? Did you ever get it firewired?
kflak
Established Member

Post by kflak »

Hey there,

Never went down the firewire hole, but in general the UCX is an excellent interface. The only drawback (and this may be a major drawback if you are spending a lot of time on the road with your soundcard) is that the only way to control it outside of mac/windows is through the encoder in front. Works great until it breaks. And fixing it might not be non-trivial, depending on where you live. But apart from that: most excellent soundcard! Just make sure you have access to a mac/dows to set up a few initial presets (phantom power on/off can't be controlled with said encoder).
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

kflak wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:20 pm Hey there,

Never went down the firewire hole, but in general the UCX is an excellent interface. The only drawback (and this may be a major drawback if you are spending a lot of time on the road with your soundcard) is that the only way to control it outside of mac/windows is through the encoder in front. Works great until it breaks. And fixing it might not be non-trivial, depending on where you live. But apart from that: most excellent soundcard! Just make sure you have access to a mac/dows to set up a few initial presets (phantom power on/off can't be controlled with said encoder).
I'm really only looking for a soundcard, not a mixer, so it sounds like a good choice. Thanks!