Does JACK work with USB 3.0?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rodney
Established Member

Does JACK work with USB 3.0?

Post by Rodney »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a new USB audio interface with MIDI capabilities and also powerful enough to reduce quite considerably the latency. That being said, I found the Zoom UAC-2 to suit my needs. But according to the product description on the website, it makes use of USB 3.0 in order to work properly and generate as close as possible to zero-latency. So my question is: Does JACK work with USB 3.0? If not, will this audio interface work with it if connected as a regular USB 2.0?

PS: I am open to suggestions, if you guys have any, of a different USB interface with MIDI capability, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune, I am on a budget of something around USD $350,00

THANKS a lot

Att.: Rodney
asbak
Established Member

Re: Does JACK work with USB 3.0?

Post by asbak »

Yes Jack works with USB 3.0. Whether or not that particular soundcard will work on your particular computer is another matter.

The Zoom looks OK, can run class compliant so will possibly work in Linux but who knows? There are probably not many Linux test reports on it in circulation. It also costs $250 at Sweetwater. Not cheap.

Does it really matter (and will you hear the difference) that this 2 channel audio interface is using "super fast USB 3.0". I kinda seriously doubt it.

A Behringer UMC 204 has more IO, also has built in DIN MIDI, works at really low latency on a well tuned Linux system, has solid build quality, sounds great and costs < $100.

If brand prestige is an essential consideration then there's the Focusrite or NI stuff, more expensive but also known to work in Linux.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Rodney
Established Member

Re: Does JACK work with USB 3.0?

Post by Rodney »

Wow thank you very, very much for your reply mate. I´ll definitely take a look at the other interfaces you mentioned.

Thank you for the suggestions and the reply

Att.: Rodney