SPL Crimson 3, RME UC, RME Babyface Pro & Linux

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Hi-Fi-Anatomia

SPL Crimson 3, RME UC, RME Babyface Pro & Linux

Post by Hi-Fi-Anatomia »

Hello everyone! I am new here and I think this is the best place to ask, sorry if i'm in the wrong spot. Any-who I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen for about two years now and its about time to upgrade. I was looking at many interfaces as Linux support for audio interfaces is patchy at best I would like some help. I'm really eyeballing the SPL Crimson 3 which claims USB 2.0 class compliance, but alas I cannot find any information about it on how it performs under Linux. I've naturally been eyeballing other interfaces as well such as the venerable RME UC and Babyface Pro. Which I know of those two the Babyface Pro works under Linux. I have heard you need to hook it up to a Windows/Mac/IOS device to enable and disable phantom power and other such settings though. Is that true? I imagine the UC is in a similar boat. I'm open to any info and or recommendations. Thank-you for all your help everyone! I look forward to making music with everyone.
GuntherT
Established Member

Re: SPL Crimson 3, RME UC, RME Babyface Pro & Linux

Post by GuntherT »

I would go with the SPL Crimson 3. RME stuff is hit or miss if it is Linux compatible, and even if you can get basic in/out capabilities, the internal routing and DSP is unlikely to be accessible from a Linux OS if controlled by software. The SPL Crimson 3 is entirely controlled by hardware as far as I can tell, so you wouldn't be missing any functionality compared to Windows or OSX. Keep in mind I do not own any of these devices, but I have researched them in the past, and if I were to buy one, I would choose the SPL Crimson 3.
Hi-Fi-Anatomia

Post by Hi-Fi-Anatomia »

GuntherT wrote:I would go with the SPL Crimson 3. RME stuff is hit or miss if it is Linux compatible, and even if you can get basic in/out capabilities, the internal routing and DSP is unlikely to be accessible from a Linux OS if controlled by software. The SPL Crimson 3 is entirely controlled by hardware as far as I can tell, so you wouldn't be missing any functionality compared to Windows or OSX. Keep in mind I do not own any of these devices, but I have researched them in the past, and if I were to buy one, I would choose the SPL Crimson 3.
This is the conclusion I have come to as well. I'm going to try and get my hands on an SPL Crimson 3. Now my issue is where to buy it haha! Best price seems to be Thomman US, but I don't think that will come with a US plug and I cant seem to find any info about its internal voltage stuffs (if its switching or not). This is going to be quite fun. Thank you for your help
MixBee

Post by MixBee »

Hello, did you go for the SPL Crimson 3 and worked it well with linux?