QJackctl freezes on stop with TASCAM US-122

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

poqamatt

QJackctl freezes on stop with TASCAM US-122

Post by poqamatt »

Hello,
I'm using Ubuntu Studio 18.04 on a DELL E6230 with a TASCAM US-122 audio/midi interface.

I've followed this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TASCAM_US-122 to install the US-122 up to and including step 7 (sudo usx2yloader) and the US-122 lights up as it should. Using Ardour5 and QjackCtl I can record / monitor / process live audio and midi via the US-122 using Ardour 5, no problems, except for one little problem that I cannot seem to solve...

My startup sequence:
* Power up laptop, login etc
* Plug in the US-122
* Go into a Terminal and run the command 'sudo usx2yloader', the US-122 lights up
* Run QjackCtl then start JACK with the US-122 selected as the Interface, MIDI as raw
* Use Ardour, record audio, monitor audio, playback audio, record midi whilst the plugin generates tones from the midi notes etc...

So now I want to quit my session and I close down Ardour, JACK is still running at this point. I stop JACK and the whole system freezes. Not even ctrl-alt-F1 works. I have to force my laptop off, and when it boots back up again some of my preferences like the Firefox bookmarks toolbar is not enabled etc.

If I action a shutdown instead, when the OS tries to shutdown JACK it freezes again. This also happens if I pull the USB plug of the US-122 when JACK is running.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar freezing problems with this interface, or is there some kind of workaround?

Cheers!
poqamatt

Re: QJackctl freezes on stop with TASCAM US-122

Post by poqamatt »

Had a chat on another forum and was advised to try another distro, so 64bit Ubuntu Studio 18.04 was switched to 64bit AVLinux (isotester-avl64-2018.6.25.iso). With AVLinux, JACK (when it has control of the TASCAM US-122 audio device), no longer freezes the system when stopped.

Some problems remain like not being able to restart JACK with the US-122 after it has been started then stopped in the same session, the OS requires a reboot.

And when Ardour's Audio/MIDI setup is set to Audio System: ALSA, it freezes the OS instantly the moment that Input Device is set to US-122.

So, sticking to JACK as Ardour's Audio System is the solution in my case.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I've had trouble with jackdbus on my RPi 3B+. After a recent update it has been freezing hourly. I have to kill -9 it to regain function without a reboot. The usual jack_control methods are non-functional until the kill. Although I just updated today with a new kernel, so here's hoping it's fixed now. It's been an odd one as neither jack nor pulse were in the update that broke it. A steinberg ur22mkII in my case. In the meantime I've had 5x one liners to reset audio when it fails. The last is the date command, with a date at the end of the last setup step, so I know how long it stayed alive (roughly). Without a distro supplied solution, I'll probably switch it to another distro. Or move the whole function to an x86 machine with 8GB of RAM.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

What kernel, and was a kernel update included in the update?
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux