Need a new Linux-compatible audio Interface

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

qeiynn
Established Member

Need a new Linux-compatible audio Interface

Post by qeiynn »

First of all excuse me if my question sounds dumb. I have only produced music on Windows computers.

I am currently working on a secondary home-studio and I want it to be completely Linux-based. So I am on the look for a new Audio interface. Since 2 preamps are enough for me, I am more interested in the quality of the preamps and A/D D/A converters. My maximum badget will have to be something around 200 euros.

Something that caught me attention is the new usb interface from mackie, Mackie onyx producer 2-2. It has the tested mackie onyx preamps and comes on a great price too.

I already asked mackie support regarding Linux compatibility. They told me that it is USB Class-Compliant and they have had some customer feedback regarding good function under linux, but they themselves didn't test it. So, I am not sure how trustworthy it can be under linux.

Does anyone have any experience with the particular interface? If not, any similar alternatives that are known to work under linux?

Thanks in advance!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Need a new Linux-compatible audio Interface

Post by Michael Willis »

If it is class-compliant it will likely work. Many people here have had no trouble getting other class-compliant devices to work with Linux.

If you want other suggestions, the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces have a good track record. I'm using a first generation Scarlett 2i4 without any trouble. Other people around here are successfully using a variety of interfaces from Behringer and M-Audio.

If you can get a suitable return policy on the Mackie interface, you might just buy it, try it, and return it if it doesn't work.
qeiynn
Established Member

Post by qeiynn »

Buying from Thomann in Europe, who are very reasonable with returning products. Worst case scenario I'll waste some time by being disappointed and returning the mackie...which isn't too bad. :P

Focusrite Scarlett seems to be very popular in this price range. Also read lots of good reviews about the audient id4.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

two most trusted options for linux are Focusrite Scarlett family and NI Komplete Audio 6 (i own the latter for 5 years and like it).

in general, class compliant devices should work, but DSP sections usually won't, and software parts too (many gears are designed as hardware+software solutions relying on proprietary drivers).
qeiynn
Established Member

Post by qeiynn »

I'd like to thank you people for the valuable info. I believe I will go with the mackie onyx producer 2-2 and in case it doensn't work I'll return it and consider between scarlett 2-2 2nd gen or Audient id4.
vividstylus

Post by vividstylus »

qeiynn wrote:I'd like to thank you people for the valuable info. I believe I will go with the mackie onyx producer 2-2 and in case it doensn't work I'll return it and consider between scarlett 2-2 2nd gen or Audient id4.
Hi, I am interested to know if the compatibility with the onyx producer, anything experience to share? Many thanks.
nickture
Established Member

Post by nickture »

+1 for the Komplete Audio 6. Just bought one in the spring of this year and it's been working beautifully for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market for a smaller sized interface. :D :D
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

in linux world and in this budget, there are two favorite trusted options of a long time — NI Komplete Audio 6 and Focusrite Scarlett.

+1 for Komplete, as a satisfied owner of one for 5 years.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

chaocrator wrote: NI Komplete Audio 6 (i own the latter for 5 years and like it).
I noticed the software bundle from that interface qualifies for a 50% discount
on Komplete Select, ($100 after discount) the Select bundle detailed at the link

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Native-Ins ... ductDetail

If you have a win partition in some dark corner, are good at wine/over-rides/reaper,
some sneakernet, perhaps some registry edits in wine, there is some excellent
software in the bundle. Any non-Kontakt items that aren't registered will run
for 30 minutes before a reload is needed, kontakt items run for 15 minutes.
There are details to use 'Native Access' app in wine for registering, at the linux reaper forum,
the saga is picked up here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761&page=9

(I have used Native Access in Mint 18, wine-staging 3.13, and Reaper,
to authorize NI Razor and Prism synthesizers)

Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 0&start=15

some solutions for running Native Access in linux are provided by 'ubuntuuser,
near bottom of the page.
Cheers
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

There are many options, it depends on budget and what one wants to accomplish.

If on a budget then I don't know of anything that beats a Behringer UCA202 for price vs performance (decent sound quality, good quality components, low latency) on a Linux box. It used to be possible to get them for about $20 but prices appear to have been jacked up to around $30.

For double the money (+-) there are the nicer UMC202 or 204HD models (204 has MIDI). They are cheapish, built like a tank & work well and the 204 is like 1/2 the price of a similarish Focusrite that doesn't even have MIDI. Why pay more when the saved money could be used on more gear instead.

I'm using a UMC404. Loads of I/O, cheap as chips, sounds fantastic, simple to operate, works great in Jack, low-latency.

There are loads of "prosumer" marketed audio interfaces out there but can one really hear the difference?

Doubtful.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
janneb
Established Member

Post by janneb »

Hi! Anyone happen to know some soundcard that has no knobs or switches ?
...or, being able to override them via software.

Basically need a completely fiddle-proof interface where gain, mute, phantom can be controlled via USB.
pro or industrial segment is fine, no DIY.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Didn't read all the replies (sorry) but the Behringer UMC404HD that I own is class compliant (and thus Linux compatible) has 4 inputs and in Audacity and other DAW's 4 simultaneous separate outputs (4 track!) via USB. Notice that other audio interfaces only output stereo over USB (i.e. 2 channels instead of 4). The pre-amps are Midas for the mics (duno what that means). Seems to be a very nice product which is way above Behringer's usual quality, or lack thereof.

And the price ... € 100! :)
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Audient ID4 is very cool. No software needed.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »