Tascam US 428 for Mint

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dannybender
Established Member

Tascam US 428 for Mint

Post by dannybender »

I'm wanting to get my Tascam US 428 working in Mint. Can anyone give me directions about how to do this, or at least send me a link to a site that has info on how to set this hardware up?
dormirj
Established Member

Re: Tascam US 428 for Mint

Post by dormirj »

I don't know the state of things, but if you want help I'd suggest to give a bit more info on what you've tried, what's happening on your operating system when you plug it in (dmesg, alsa), which operating system you're running, how far your experience with linux audio goes so far, etc...

There is a former thread about this device here, but i have no idea if the issue from there is still up to date.

viewtopic.php?t=13136

Supposedly it should work in a limited way if you just put it in and start it up with jack. For starters I'd suggest you just plug it in and find out if your linux sees the device, the in's and out's and if you can record or play with it.

greetings;;
dannybender
Established Member

Post by dannybender »

OK, I did turn it on, but nothing happened. I ran dmesg, but the results were so lengthy and the computer wording above my limited knowledge that I didn't know what was being stated. I did find this site :http://hal9000.drehmoment.org/tascam/, but I don't know how to work with either CVS or ALSA. Any help or site to give me instructions about this would be appreciated.

Danny
dormirj
Established Member

Post by dormirj »

well the site is pretty old and it states that the device is now part of alsa-cvs, so by now i think it's probable that it's already part of the mainline alsa, so for now let's assume it might be and check if the device appears anywhere before jumping through hoops that will take a bit of explaining.

ok, concerning dmesg:

i would suggest you turn on the device without having it plugged into the computer, then run dmesg. after that you plug it in and wait a short moment, run dmesg again and post here everything that's new from the first time you executed it.

if it turns up, working with alsa should be very straightforward, although it is recommended to use jack for "musical recording level quality". if you have a vanilla linux mint you're already running alsa with pulseaudio on top, which is a service that makes it easier for software in "general media" situations to access alsa, which is the linux service that handles the talking to the audio hardware.

if dmesg tells you something about a new device and it is identified and has a usable driver, you can have a look in alsamixer (push f6 to select a device) and tell us here. if all of the suggested things turn out positive i'd say the device is usable and you should learn how to install and use jack (someone will surely know a good tutorial somewhere?).

if the device doesnt turn up, then we'd need that dmesg output and have to look into the grittier parts ;)

hope this can get you started finding your way;
greetings;;;