MIDI Editor for hardware

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mendo
Established Member

MIDI Editor for hardware

Post by mendo »

Hello,

I am planning to develop a MIDI editor for a MIDI device and interface because the manufacturer only provides editors for the settings and mixing for non linux platforms.

Does anyone know similar projects?
Is there any similar code that I could study?

Especially I am looking to understand how to send MIDI and SysEx to the device.

Which toolkit would you recommend for the GUI?
I am thinking of Qt or Electron (based on nodejs).

Thanks in advance!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: MIDI Editor for hardware

Post by rghvdberg »

tux99
Established Member

Re: MIDI Editor for hardware

Post by tux99 »

Yeah, I have written a few editors over the past 6 years, this is my current work in progress:
http://jdxi-manager.linuxtech.net/

I use Perl as it well suited to write synth editors (it allows quite rapid development and is very suitable for manipulating sysex data) and since Perl is multi-platform I can write them so that they work both on Linux and on Windows (OSX is not possible as there is no Perl MIDI module for OSX). For the GUI I use Tk as it's easy to use, but Perl also supports Gtk and Qt.

For an editor a compiled language such as C or C++ is really overkill as an editor isn't timing sensitive and you would spend a lot more time to write the program (unless you are a very experienced C/C++ programmer).

For which MIDI device are you planning to write an editor?

If you decide to use Perl as programming language for your editor I can help you with how to send and receive MIDI messages to/from the device, it's actually very easy in Perl.

I will be starting to write an editor for the Audiothingies MicroMonsta synth soon too (actually I already started with it but put it on hold for now while adding more features to the JD-Xi editor).