HDMI sound output not working

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kflak
Established Member

HDMI sound output not working

Post by kflak »

Hi all,

Over the last few months I've managed to set up an Arch system on a MacBook Pro mid-2013 that works very well for my music production needs after a few false starts :-). However, there is one annoying I'm having trouble getting sound through the HDMI cable to my TV set. I've been able to push out some sound with speakertest, but no jack-aware applications have been able to connect. Could it be that cadence is not pushing the correct sound card to jack? I am only running ALSA through Jack, no PulseAudio installed. I have unmuted everything that can be unmuted in alsamixer. Where would I start tracking down the problem?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: HDMI sound output not working

Post by sysrqer »

Is cadence set to use that card?
kflak
Established Member

Post by kflak »

Yes, I set it in Cadence, but it doesn't seem to "take". Additional info: I'm using i3, for what it's worth. Not sure if that would affect anything...
kflak
Established Member

Post by kflak »

OK, so I finally figured it out: I need to boot the computer while the HDMI cable is attached for it to be accessible to jack. Time to start figuring out the whole udev rules deal, I guess...
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's interesting. I wasn't sure what else to suggest, mine generally works as you would expect. Is it a kernel module not being loaded perhaps? Seems strange that it would be something with udev or kernel modules if you can get SOME sound from it with speakertest.