PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gpr2abBWVxWL65cTuZCE
Established Member

PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL

Post by gpr2abBWVxWL65cTuZCE »

Can someone please explain to me why the PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL doesn't properly work in Linux environments?

I have an AudioBox 44VSL and sound output to my studio monitors works nicely, but I am unable to get any audio input from microphones attached via XLR cables, neither with PulseAudio nor JACK configurations.

I have never used a 22VSL nor an 1818VSL, but it seems that both of those versions work in Linux environments, including with recording/capturing audio input.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL

Post by CrocoDuck »

Can you repost the output of these commands?

Code: Select all

aplay -l
arecord -l
lspci -vnn
lsusb
Also, double check the settings in alsamixer:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
gpr2abBWVxWL65cTuZCE
Established Member

Post by gpr2abBWVxWL65cTuZCE »

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

OK, seeing nothing wrong at first sight. Have you got chance of looking at alsamixer yet? This user reported resetting of the input levels after each soundcard reboot for a similar product. Worth to check. The relevant part from the post:
quandt wrote: My issue was that 1818vsl resets its master capture level (controls all inputs) to 0, ie mute'd each time you repower it (or reboot). In alsamixer, go enable all the buttons in the "prefs" for the "AudioBox 1818", and then in the playback tab (eventhough its playback AND capture) set them all at 100%, in switches make sure all 4 switches are checked, ie Capture Sw Capture Sw1, Playback S and Playback S1. In options I'm set to internal clock.
If that doesn't work, we will look whether your video card audio controller is doing something weird, as claiming inputs by default or similar.
Brynildsen
Established Member

Post by Brynildsen »

I have the 22vsl from Presonus and have been using it on Linux for years. Mine has one minor bug, which is that the input channels are always muted on boot.

My technique is following:
1. I start jack
2. Open up pavucontrol, which reveals that pulseaudio is confused, because of jack.
3. kill pulseaudio with pulseaudio -k, so that it respawns and releases the card and hooks up to jack via pulseaudio-sink instead.
4. I open a terminal-> open alsamixer-> press F6 to select the right sound card-> F5 to show all channels. Unmute everything and turn all channels to max.
5. I keep alsamixer open at all time beside pavucontrol on another work space to always keep an eye on my channels/levels, and see if anything has got muted or turned down. I tend to put my PC in standby very often when not using it, and this sometimes mutes channels. You can literally spend hours going insane trying to find out why there is not input, and this is why I always keep alsamixer visible.

The channels in alsamixer with the presonus card is weird and doesn't follow the order it should, and this is why I always max out everything and let's my DAW control the levels instead.

Beside these minor bugs my 22vsl is highly usable, I hope the same goes for your 44vsl. I remember I read long time ago that the 44vsl would only work on two of the input channels on linux, but that should still give you a usable card with a reliable left/right stereo input. You just have to plug/unplug cables a bit more often compared to having all 4 inputs working. Or put a small mixer in front.
"Arch/i3-wm/Bitwig/Renoise/Guitarix/Airwave/a couple of winVST's"
"i7-6700K 4ghz, gtx910ti, 16gb ram" + "X201s-i7-640LM 2.13ghz, 8gb ram"
"Presonus 22vsl + Scarlett 2i2 2.gen."