Tascam US-122 causing audio programs to hang in non-root accounts

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

twosheds

Tascam US-122 causing audio programs to hang in non-root accounts

Post by twosheds »

Hello,

I've been struggling for the past week to get a Tascam US-122 working in Debian unstable, and the problems are endless. I've gotten to the point where the green "USB" LED is turning on, which indicates that the firmware is being loaded successfully. This is using the version of fxload included in alsa-utils 1.1.3-1 and the firmware files included in alsa-firmware 1.0.29. I'm using the udev rule:

Code: Select all

BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idProduct}=="8006", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1604", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/sbin/fxload -D %N -s /usr/share/alsa/firmware/tascam_loader.ihx -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/us122fw.ihx'"
SUBSYSTEM=="sound", ACTION=="add", ATTR{id}=="USX2Y", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/usx2yloader'"
(I know the paths to the firmware files are non-standard -- normally they're in an additional subdirectory within /usr/share/alsa/firmware/)

lsusb reveals:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1604:8007 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface
The interface's green USB light comes on and stays on (after many hours of frustration, I'm not sure what the factor is that caused it to eventually work. Previously, I would run "usx2yloader" and it would cause all the LEDs to turn on for an instant, then shut off.)

I know the hardware works because at one point I was able to get audio out of the interface's headphone output from jack. It only worked for a single session. The next time I tried using it, the audio was extremely distorted (a known issue with this interface), and after that (I have no idea what the factor is that changed...), I ran into the situation I'm in now:

Running "aplay -l" from the root account, I get:

card 1: USX2Y [TASCAM US-X2Y], device 0: US-X2Y Audio [US-X2Y Audio #0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Whereas any time the interface is connected, if I run "aplay -l" from my user account (which is in the audio group), aplay hangs indefinitely and never gets past its first line of output. Same with qjackctl -- I can run it from the root account with this interface plugged in, but it hangs if I run it from my user account. The interface appears as a possible Jack output when I run qjackctl from the root account, but when I try to actually start Jack, I get:

Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection 
Audio device hw:USX2Y cannot be acquired...
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
17:02:19.708 JACK was stopped
17:02:21.671 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
Any direction on this problem would be much appreciated. Let me know if I've omitted any important information -- while I'm not new to Linux, I'm somewhat inexperienced when it comes to audio and hardware.
Brian
Established Member

Re: Tascam US-122 causing audio programs to hang in non-root accounts

Post by Brian »

hmm.

it sounds like, when the drivers are loaded, the (now available) port is not assigned to the AUDIO group. You can attach as root because root already has privilege to access the port. does your udev rule (or can it) attempt to assign rw rights on the created port to the audio group?

- Brian