How to set 96 kHz on RAYDAT?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

t_celli
Established Member

How to set 96 kHz on RAYDAT?

Post by t_celli »

RME RAYDAT, using KXStudio 14.04.5, Lynx Aurora-8 for the AD/DA. It seems to be working ok at 44 & 48 kHz rates, the hdspmixer module shows 36 channels, but I don't know how to set the RAYDAT in Linux for 96 kHz sampling or for bit depth.

Do I need to run a script or something command line or edit a config file? Where to find this info? I found some hints elsewhere about 96 kHz operation, but have not been successful in contacting that user.

I have Aurora set to configure from the ADAT link and it synchronizes after a minute on 44/48, but Cadence/Jack and RAYDAT don't want to work together when setting sample rates above that. I have also tried QjackCtl but no success.

I have a 2nd box w/ RME Multiface II; it uses the hdspconf module, so no issue setting 96 kHz on that interface.

I am not very capable on Linux ATM. Any help appreciated.

Tom
Drumfix
Established Member

Re: How to set 96 kHz on RAYDAT?

Post by Drumfix »

At the Aurora set clock source = LSLOT and the sample rate to 96000 (the Aurora cannot automatically detect sample rates greater than 48 kHz on ADAT)
On the computer use alsamixer to set the clock source to master and the sample rate to 96000.
t_celli
Established Member

Post by t_celli »

Thanks! Aurora & RAYDAT appear to be functional at this new setting. Hdspmixer shows appropriate number of channels to match the 96 kHz rate, as does AlsaMixer, v1.0.27.2. Haven't actually tested audio as yet though.

Curious, do you know what the System Sample rate sliders are for? I can run them up to 100(no units); playing with them disrupts the sync with the Aurora. I have to leave them at 0 for the Aurora to settle in and get its sync lock from the RAYDAT.

I tried to set 192 kHz in AlsaMixer, but no selection possible, only 64/88.2/96. And with Cadence, Jack won't restart after selecting 192 kHz there.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

The system sample rate is the base value of the internal sample rate of the RayDAT.

As far as i can see, if you set it to certain values you should be able to use certain sample rates in jack:

0 => 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
38 => 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz
100 => 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
t_celli
Established Member

Post by t_celli »

Just some comments on my experiences here.

Successfully pushed audio though the Aurora to RayDAT to Qtractor and back out.
I am using a several years old Lynx Aurora 8 with the LT-ADAT plugin for 2 channels of ADAT I/O.
Both Lynx products are out of production now, replaced with updated models in the past year or so.

First, with Jack not started, I set AlsaMixer to desired sample rate (48, 96 or 192 kHz).
I am using hdspmixer and it naturally follows these changes and adjusts size/mixer channels accordingly. And in a not fully correct manner, the Aurora attempts to follow these sample freq changes via the ADAT link.
Then I start Jack at the clock rate that was set in AlsaMixer and things will lock fairly quickly with the Aurora. After once setting AlsaMixer and Jack for desired sample rate, system boots in correct sample rate without having to open AlsaMixer or Jack and reconfig.

Two things to note:
On this system, the System sample rate (SSR) setting in AlsaMixer defaults to value of 12. But it does not seem to matter what it is set to.
I had been setting SSR to 0, but I used any SSR value from 0-100 without problems for 48, 96 and 192. So I just ignore it and let stay at 12.

Once Jack is started, selection of Internal clock values in AlsaMixer is constrained to the groupings of steps you have described,
32, 44.1, 48; 64, 88.2, 96; 128, 176.4, 192; but things still don't seem to be controlled by the SSR. That does seem odd.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Tom