Yamaha Keyboard to Ardour

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mootz
Established Member

Yamaha Keyboard to Ardour

Post by Mootz »

Hello,

I've just started in KxStudio and have most things set up.
However, I cannot figure out how to get my Yamaha Keyboard playing through Ardour.

I'm using my Yamaha - Roland UA-25 ex interface - PC - Cadence/Ardour.
The keyboard is plugged into the midi-in in the interface and the interface connected via usb.

I've looked through tutorials but I must be missing something. I'm sure there is a way in Jack but I'm not seeing it.
My guitars and bass are set up okay.
Do I need to buy a midi-usb adapter and bypass the interface?
Looking through Cadence/Catia/Ardour only the two audio inputs from the interface show up and not the midi.

Does anyone have any ideas on this, or a link to tutorials?
I'm going back and fourth between Ardour and Mixcrash :evil: on windows but I'd prefer Kx and Ardour,

Thanks,

John
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Yamaha Keyboard to Ardour

Post by rghvdberg »

1) jack doesn't see hardware midi .. I know .. it's stupid. You'll need to bridge alsa midi to jack midi
http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-you ... -on-linux/
2) If you use only ardour and don't use jack to connect to other jack software why not use pure alsa in ardour
http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-s ... on-dialog/
or if you already started the session Window - Audio/Midi Setup
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hey John,

what kind of Yamaha keyboard do you have, and what do you want to hear:

- the built-in sounds of your keyboard, or
- just MIDI data going into Ardour, and from that into some synthesizer or sampling library (like Fluidsynth GM)?

Does the interface & computer receive any MIDI data from your keyboard at all, so it's just Ardour playing nothing? Please tell us a bit more about what you're trying to achieve.
more about me on my blog
Mootz
Established Member

Post by Mootz »

Thanks for the replies!
I'm away for the week so I'll try any suggestions when I'm back.. Thanks rghvdberg.
Wjl, I'm trying to put the keyboard into Ardour then effect/synth. I only add a small bit of heavily synthed keys to my tracks, as I can't play very well :roll:
I have my guitar/bass/drum pretty much as I want and need to add that bit of keyboard/synth to lift it all. I'm using Guitarix for guitars and bass.
My interface picks and plays midi through windows/mixcraft (until it crashes) okay. Either it's not playing through kx or most likely I'm not seeing it.

I'll go and try bridging the midi as suggested when I'm back.

Thanks again,

John
Mootz
Established Member

Post by Mootz »

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
I got the keyboard working through Qjackctl and via a million tutorials!

I'm now trying to run the keyboard-jack-phasex-ardour-output. I can get (sometimes) as far as hearing the phasex sound in Ardour but when I record it is just plain keyboard without the synth.
Does anyone have a screen-shot from either Catia or Qjackctl for the above senario, or a link to a video tutorial that explains it in detail?

Thanks,

John
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

If you tell me exactly *what* you want to record I probably can help you.

If you record midi, no sound is recorded. Just the 'events' the midi keyboard sends. That's key presses (note on /off) , pitchbend , modulation wheel etc.

If you play back the midi track without a midi device on the output you'll hear nothing.

Midi device could be a synth plugin or a hardware synth / keyboard.

If you use a hardware synth for playback and you want to export an audio file you'll need to record the output of the hardware synth on an audio track.

You can first record the midi, do any editing you need.
Add a audio track (stereo), arm that for record.
Playback the track and simultaneously record the audio.

If you put a synth plugin on the track there's no need to record audio.

If you use a software synth not available as plugin things get complicated because you need to rout the audio output from the soft synth back into ardour.

Try to keep all audio sources within the DAW. Producing in the box they call it.
Mootz
Established Member

Post by Mootz »

Thsnks for the responses.
I tried out the samplv1 and others 42low and it's just what I was after thanks.
rghvdberg, I'll will stick to working within the DAW and Jack aware apps like Guitarix and Rakarrack which suit my needs for now.

I'ts all up and running, great.