Linux support Behringer UMC404HD?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

basstrombone
Established Member

Re: Linux support Behringer UMC404HD?

Post by basstrombone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
basstrombone wrote: UMC404HD was found (HW 02) went to sound setting switched to it and was able to play tunes form YouTube and mic check.

Finally we're getting somewhere! The Behringer 404HD does work w/ Alsa at least on your computer! How great is that, eh?

Indeed!! I was concerned but not ready to quit!! I'm go getter never quit!
basstrombone wrote: After this, installed the Repositories from AV Linux.
Here at linuxmusicians.com they mostly use the excellent repository from KXStudio: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

I'll try it. Is that a problem having too many repos? (Should I remove the AV Linux?
basstrombone wrote: !!! ERROR !!! - Not able to add user to the audio group (usermod failed)!

Please add yourself to the audio group and re-login
Check if the group "audio" exists and if you are a member of it w/:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/group | grep audio
If your username is in that line somewhere you are a member of siad group. If the command returns nothing then you do not have the group "audio". Creat it w/:

sudo groupadd audio
Add yourself if hat group exists with:

sudo usermod -a -G audio basstrombone
I did it already (since last night) I went normally to: "USERS and GROUPS" got as administrator then saw what I had and added audio. After that everything is working as I've mentioned.

And, like said, forget Mixbus and Ardour for a short while until the Behringer 404HD works with Jackaudio.

After fixing the "audio group" stuff, MixBus is working fine. No dropouts no messages no Xruns... nothing.

basstrombone wrote: Even with all this messages, MB is " working" (100% better than Ubuntu Studio).
Do you mean working w/ the 404 and Jackaudio? Because if that's the case it all works fine and your old laptop is too slow.

Here's the deal: I'm letting MB to handle everything (like I do in Mac Os and Windows) I choose "Alsa" Select the interface, buffer size etc.. With this set up, it works fine. However: When I turn "Qjackctl" and open MB and instead of ALSA I choose Jack and try to connect that's when things get ugly. Right now I can play and record with a BUFFER size of 1024 (I know...huge) but with that I monitor via Hardware (UMC) and works. I haven't tested Jack after fixing the "audio group" thing yet. But I will.
basstrombone wrote: Just did an overdubb over that 96K file and no drop outs. [...] And is working.
[/qoute]
You meant the 404 is working w/ Jackaudio? That would be great!

As I've said, I'm running mixbus handling everything interface related as far as ALSA is concerned.

P.S. You can copy/paste from terminal and text editor alike. Use the right mouse button. :)
I do know it! but the question was: I took a bunch of screenshots.... then when I was ready to load it, I saw either you or someone else asking to insert text because Image were hard to read!! and because you guys have spent quite a time, I thought that was worth to do it!

In Short, MB Is Running, now I can choose "performance" and the cpu is not heavily loaded at all. I can go back and forth from "on demand" for normal tasks and then choose "performance" and it is just fine.

Because I've loaded all the stuff from the repositories, I'm quite positive that my system is optimized for recording audio. MB sounds amazing. Sometimes I record stuff with CUBASE then just by loading it to MB it really changes. I've doing this for more than 7 years. When I realized that I could have as many as 8 BUSES of MixBus when UAD was selling only one channel of 32C for 350 bucks... I had a UAD Satellite (It broke...) So never buy that thing again. It's nice but it breakes... Got really screwed with that. Plug ins (software don't brake).
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

[/quote]
Here at linuxmusicians.com they mostly use the excellent repository from KXStudio: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Sorry, that's what I meant. KX.... Have no idea (I know, I was freakin' tired) played a lot last night at church and came straight to the computer..

Thanks!!
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

khz wrote:You did that

@groups audio group

Yes did (not in a terminal though) worked. Rebooted and everything is working even JACK I'll post screenshots soon

@limits.conf limits.conf

?

No because the limits where fine (I'm quite positive was about the audio group).

?Test with the quickscan script and c/p the result here? ;-)

wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration && AVLinux Manual == --help

Please use the quote/code/... functions to make the article easier to read. Thank you.

I'm doing my best to answer with quotes. I have written more about it in later posts sorry about that. I've explained why
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Hello again,

Here are some screenshots of the system (and MixBus) working just fine. It is working in both ways:

1. Mixbus Taking care of everything (i.e. I choose ALSA>Interface>BUFFER SIZE) then start it and MB runs fine
1.1 Have changed the Buffer Size to 512 (no drop outs and DSP usage was at 35%). Just one track though. I have the Brazilian Trumpet Guide Festival Coming to my School of Music where I teach trombone (April) I'll record some solo recitals and I'll let you know at different sample rates

2. Set up Jack (I've done two set ups: one runing @ 44100 and another @ 96K), start it and run MB (choose Jack instead of ALSA)
Attachments
MB and JACK running.png
MB and JACK running.png (232.14 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Here we go another one
Attachments
MB Runing at 96K and Jack Smaller Size flle
MB Runing at 96K and Jack Smaller Size flle
MB running @ 96s .png (193.59 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

basstrombone wrote:I'm doing my best to answer with quotes. I have written more about it in later posts sorry about that. I've explained why
Just for the sake of legibility. :idea:
:arrow:
khz wrote:?Test with the quickscan script and c/p the result here? ;-)

wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration && AVLinux Manual == --help
:luck: :freedom:
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Just for the sake of legibility. :idea:
:arrow: [quote="khz"]?Test with the quickscan script and c/p the result here? ;-)

Will do
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Just for the sake of legibility.
:arrow: [quote="khz"]?Test with the quickscan script and c/p the result here? ;-)

Here it is:

alexandre@alexandre-NV75S ~/realtimeconfigquickscan $ git clone git://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan.git
Cloning into 'realtimeconfigquickscan'...
remote: Counting objects: 102, done.
remote: Total 102 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 102
Receiving objects: 100% (102/102), 32.84 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (69/69), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
alexandre@alexandre-NV75S ~/realtimeconfigquickscan $ cd realtimeconfigquickscan
alexandre@alexandre-NV75S ~/realtimeconfigquickscan/realtimeconfigquickscan $ perl -I ./ ./realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl
== GUI-enabled checks ==
Checking if you are root... no - good
Checking filesystem 'noatime' parameter... 4.13.0 kernel - good
(relatime is default since 2.6.30)
Checking CPU Governors... CPU 0: 'performance' CPU 1: 'performance' CPU 2: 'performance' CPU 3: 'performance' - good
Checking swappiness... 60 - not good
** vm.swappiness is larger than 10
set it with '/sbin/sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10'
See also: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php ... t=30#p8916
Checking for resource-intensive background processes... none found - good
Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good
increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288' to /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... sysctlconf
Checking access to the high precision event timer... not readable - not good
/dev/hpet found, but not readable.
make /dev/hpet readable by the 'audio' group
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers
Checking access to the real-time clock... not readable - not good
/dev/rtc found, but not readable.
make /dev/rtc readable by the 'audio' group
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers
Checking whether you're in the 'audio' group... yes - good
Checking for multiple 'audio' groups... no - good
Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... yes - good
Checking kernel support for high resolution timers... found - good
Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
Kernel without real-time capabilities found
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... ime_kernel
Checking if kernel system timer is high-resolution... found - good
Checking kernel support for tickless timer... found - good
== Other checks ==
Checking filesystem types... ok.
not found.
** Warning: no tmpfs partition mounted on /tmp
For more information, see:
- http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... tion#tmpfs
- http://lowlatency.linuxaudio.org
** Set $SOUND_CARD_IRQ to the IRQ of your soundcard to enable more checks.
Find your sound card's IRQ by looking at '/proc/interrupts' and lspci.
alexandre@alexandre-NV75S ~/realtimeconfigquickscan/realtimeconfigquickscan $
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Here is my Kernel:

lexandre@alexandre-NV75S ~ $ uname -a
Linux alexandre-NV75S 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 7 16:03:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Everything that was recognized with "not good" click on the following links "http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system...." and read and change accordingly.
Then perform the quickscan again for checking.

Realtime kernel is optional, good to have but not mandatory. IMHO
Q: How to optimize my system for audio / midi ?

A: For some uses, it can be helpful to run a realtime (RT) kernel, but generally this isn't necessary anymore. See the following JACK FAQ entry: Do I need a realtime kernel to use realtime scheduling?

In Linux kernels 3.0 and later, many of the additionally required realtime patches have been incorporated as standard. For those who are recording Audio, a standard non-realtime kernel may be sufficient for your needs, and running Jack with a non realtime kernel will work fine.

You need to configure your system, however, to allow JACK to use realtime scheduling.

This wiki has some more articles and general information about real time operation.

Those who produce a lot of MIDI I/O, may want to use a Linux kernel with non-standard timer interrupt frequency (aka “tick rate”). The standard frequency is set at 250 Hz, and realtime kernels are generally set at 1000 Hz. You may still have to use a realtime kernel to obtain accurate MIDI playback using the higher timing setting.
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/faq/start

If there are problems/questions to the individual points (not good >> "http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system....") please ask here.
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Is this really accurate?

It seems to me that nowadays many kernels are tickless, and the important configuration for midi (and audio) is to make sure that the kernel uses high resolution timers, and that configuring a 1000Hz ticker just influences how long a SCHED_RR thread runs before it yields.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@Basstrombone: I'm glad to see that the Behringer 404HD audio interface will still wok w/ newer kernels!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Class-compliant audio devices are recognized out of the box by all kernel versions.
Jack Winter wrote:Is this really accurate?
Good question. I only have c/p. Technically, I can't answer that.
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:@Basstrombone: I'm glad to see that the Behringer 404HD audio interface will still wok w/ newer kernels!
Me too!!

Next week I hope to start recording some ensembles I play and direct.

I'll keep reading about the test I just did with your guys suggestions. But, I'll read while I work, not gonna make changes in something that might be working. I did a bunch of tests even with higher sample rates.
Unfortunately, my Laptop does not offer me FireWire Connections to try bigger interfaces (more inputs) such as a PROFIRE 40 and a RME FireFace I have at school.

I'll try to get a PC desktop to put a PCie card with FireWire 800 on it to test

Thanks again. I'll keep trying

I'll also try another Audio Distro other than Ubuntu Studio such KX to see if have as much bugs a ubuntu did with my UMC404
basstrombone
Established Member

Post by basstrombone »

khz wrote:Everything that was recognized with "not good" click on the following links "http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system...." and read and change accordingly.
Then perform the quickscan again for checking.

Realtime kernel is optional, good to have but not mandatory. IMHO

If there are problems/questions to the individual points (not good >> "http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system....") please ask here.

Will do, but I'll first run tests recording ensembles I play or direct. If the machine records great just like I'm doing on the tests here at the lab, I'll read first because for me everything (as far as recording audio at 96K @ 24 bits go without drop outs) records and sounds according to what I normally do in an Windows or Os environment (specially Windows).

As far as I'm concerned neither Win nor Os offer Kernel optimized for professional audio recording. They offer you a "box" that you need to read a lot and do tweaks. On the other hand Linux offers (at leas the audio distros try) an array of low latency Kernel. Mainly for me, Linux allow me to use pcs that would normally to be dumped longer. Indeed, that's the same for what the companies call "legacy" products. A great mic is still a great mic, a great interface like my TASCAM US2000 Sounds great (doesnt run on Linux) but sounds great. Focusrite PRO 40 sounds great as well as MOTU and PRESONUS.. If they run on Linux, they will record until the worn out! that's the difference (at least for me) My Bass Trombone is more than 30 years and sounds amazing. I have others but most of my gigs are done with that.

Thanks a lot