Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on Linux help!

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jiff41
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on Linux help!

Post by jiff41 »

Gulliver wrote:
CrocoDuck wrote: Only root can move files in there. In Linux you need to acquire root privileges to do operation is system folders. Root is the only real Admin. To acquire root privileges for your regular user you need sudo. Did you try this command?

Code: Select all

sudo mv reaper.desktop /usr/share/applications/reaper.desktop
This should definitively do. Why there are super user privileges and administrators have not total rights? Because in that way system management becomes dangerous and the system easy to maliciously exploit.
Thanks for the explanation. I tried the sudo it says "mv: cannot stat 'reaper.desktop': No such file or directory"
The first time I tried this I had the exact same answer as you & then I looked more closely @ what had typed & I named the file .Reaper & was trying to move .reaper= no file because I had named the file with a upper case *R* but in the terminal it was *r* once changed it moved successfully! :roll:

Try it!.
I Started out with nothing & still have most of it left.! (Seasick Steve) :lol:
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on Linux help!

Post by CrocoDuck »

Gulliver wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I tried the sudo it says "mv: cannot stat 'reaper.desktop': No such file or directory"
OK, so you either opened the terminal in a folder that is not where you saved the reaper.desktop file or you saved the file with another name. Please, open the terminal in the directory where you saved the .desktop file and repost the output of this:

Code: Select all

ls -la