Liquid Saffire 56

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Liquid Saffire 56

Post by sadko4u »

Hi all!

I became an owner of Liquid Saffire 56 firewire device.
And now I'm trying to make it working all 24 input channels that it provides.
I've built latest FFADO but currently have no idea how to properly set up the device.
It still shows only 16 inputs and outputs in JACK and there is no signal from OctoPre preamps.

Current configuration:
- Liquid Saffire 56
- Octopre MK II
- Octopre MK II Dynamic
I've connected The ADAT output of Octopre MK II to ADAT input of Saffire 56 and also output of Octopre MK II Dynamic to second ADAT input of Saffire 56. Also I've connected two ADAT outputs from Saffire 56 to Octopre MK II Dynamic. I see all are showing 'Locked' status because the clock source is Ocropre MK II but finally ADAT1 and ADAT2 leds are not lighting.
Also I have no idea how to switch the mode of 3rd and 4th input channels on Liquid Saffire 56.

If you have any experience please help.

Best,
Vladimir
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Liquid Saffire 56

Post by CrocoDuck »

I am not very familiar with FFADO and firewire troubleshooting, so I am afraid I will not have a lot of advices.

I would skim through your device page in the FFADO website to see if there is something relevant to you, if you didn't already. The last post seems to suggest quite a number of good contacts where to ask for support at least.

From that page:
With recent kernels we have started to move the audio streaming component into the kernel (the ffado-mixer control component remains in userspace, provided by FFADO). The new firewire audio streaming drivers work through the ALSA system, so when using them it is the ALSA backend JACK driver that you want.

Since your Saffire shows up in JACK's ALSA tab I would assume that your system is running a recent enough kernel such that the kernel-based firewire audio streaming driver is present. The kernel is identifying the device and grabbing control of its streaming system. In theory then, starting JACK would be the same as for any other ALSA audio interface. Based on your comment it seems that JACK/ALSA is able to get some way towards having things work (the FW active LED suggests this). However, evidently not all is well since the JACK server did not remain active.
Which aligns with what we see here. What kernel version are you running? Which driver are you instructing JACK to use?

We could also check your card chipset as it could be source of troubles (some mention is made here). lspci should give us all the info.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I've got working my Liquid Saffire but currently can not fully control it with FFADO Mixer.
For example, I have no 'Monitoring' section as I have with Saffire Pro 40.
Also channels 3 and 4 currently are in 'Instrument' mode, I can not switch them to the 'Mic' mode. Remember that unlike Saffire Pro 40 that provides combined XLR+Jack inputs, Liquid Saffire 56 has separate XLR and JACK inputs but it doesn't have a button to switch what input to use on the front panel.
Also I get confused with signal routing because it looks out very strange and cryptic (again, comparing to the Saffire Pro 40 mixer).
Also, ADAT synchronization as far as I understand is currently not working properly.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Also I've blacklisted snd-dice in my system and use the userspace drivers from the FFADO site.
end117
Established Member

Post by end117 »

@sadko4u

how did it go with Liquid Saffire 56?

I bought a used one just 3 days ago....ffado says no compatible soundcard finded...I'm able to make it work with jack using alsa drivers, but I can't switch between mic/inst/line and headphones did't sounds.

Have you some advice to me?

Tnx

EDIT: I made a new installation of Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS
micajah

Post by micajah »

So did you ever get it to work?
Just wondering.
Thanks
Micajah