Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd generation record only at 44,1 or 48 kHz

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Dam
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd generation record only at 44,1 or 48 kHz

Post by Dam »

I've just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd generation and tried it with AVLinux and Linux Mint. Using Ardour I can create project only at 44,1 or 48 kHz, selecting ALSA. But I can't record or listen at 96 kHz or more. If I create a project at 96 kHz, no sound comes from inputs or outputs. Have someone of you the Scarlett 18i20 or the 18i8 2nd generation (whose configuration I suppose is very similar) and did succeed in recording at 96 kHz or more?
Thanks a lot for your kind support.
Dam
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd generation record only at 44,1 or 48 kHz

Post by Dam »

If I use the Windows version of Ardour (or Reaper) in Wine, I can select the USB audio interface and record at 96 kHz. But if I use the Linux version of Ardour in AVLinux, I can only record at 44,1 or 48 kHz. I really don't understand why.
Thanks to everyone will help me ;-)
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

The first problem is that Linux does not support the Gen2 mixer interface in (used by alsamixer). The second problem is (like the Gen 1) is that the support misses something in the interface to set the sample rate (and several other settings). There should be a USB command supporting this that should be able to add to the ALSA drver. I have a Gen 1 and hope someday to look a the USB commands and update the driver for ALSA. I am not sure if JACK also goes through ALSA to set the sample rate. Questions I posted on the ALSA-dev developer forum help how and what to change the drivers is not result in any response. The Gen 1 SLA mixer was coded by the great initiative of one single person. so for Gen1 & Gen2 to make this happen it nedes someone who understands [1] ALSA drivers [2] updating the Linux kernel [3] post changes these to Git/Torvalds and and [4] USB. I understand [3] and [4] and am trying to learn [1] and [2] but support and mentors (and time) to get started to fix the Gen 1 a very hard to find, even there is lots of activity on ALSA-dev. I don't plan to buy a Gen2 because I am looking for at least 24 channels under Linux. (hard to accomplish, seem my other post about "beyond 16 channels") - I wish that never may come true is that Focusrite could sponsor and give one to the developer of the ALSA driver or get a developer to develop support under Linux
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Musicmaker wrote:if JACK also goes through ALSA to set the sample rate.
It does.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.