bought a new video card

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

bought a new video card

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

My aging GS7600 was unable to cope with the OpenGL3 requirement for Zyn-Fusion's UI so it was clearly time to upgrade my visuals. I did a little searching on Google and came up with this recommended board :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a gamer so I wasn't concerned about high-performance video in that domain. However, I do need hardware-accelerated 3D video for Pure Data (the GEM library) and AVSynthesis (uses the jogamp software). And I need a fanless card - the fans on most video boards are horrible high-frequency screamers, I can't bear the noise.

The card was simple to install. Curiously it's literally half the size of the older board and 'way more than twice as powerful. IIRC it probably cost half as much too. Software installation isn't a hassle if your distro handles nVidia drivers with some aplomb. Fedora 21 sort of did things right, but I had to make some manual changes to xorg.conf until I had exactly what I wanted for my dual monitor display, which is now rolling along sweetly.

Btw:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux The6300 4.0.5-200.rt4.3.fc21.ccrma.x86_64+rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Jun 18 22:42:22 PDT 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Best,

dp
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: bought a new video card

Post by sadko4u »

I'm having the same model but with cooler:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
Works well with proprietary drivers under RT kernel. Not for gamers but for quick desktop graphics.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.