Newbie wants to start using midi keyboard.

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Newbie wants to start using midi keyboard.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I would like to start using a midi keyboard controler, but know almost nothing about setting up a midi keyboard.

Here is my basic setup:
1) Computer with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed.
2) All audio bits of Ubuntu Studio audio and audio plugins groups, as well as low latency kernel and a soundfont are installed.
3) I have some very basic knowledge of LMMS.
4) Comfortable with many aspects of Musescore 2.0.2.

Here is what I would like to do:
1) Piano sounds, drum sounds and diverse other sounds set to keys and pads.
2) Create some tracks in LMMS.
3) Save the product as an MP3 file to be used as a backing track.

I imagine that input could either be direct, through the keyboard or via notation in Musescore. There is the added issue of finding a keyboard controler with semi weighted keys and pad, that can be easily edited in Linux, rather than needing a proprietary editor that only runs on Windows or OS X.

Any advice?
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Newbie wants to start using midi keyboard.

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote: There is the added issue of finding a keyboard controler with semi weighted keys and pad, that can be easily edited in Linux, rather than needing a proprietary editor that only runs on Windows or OS X.

Any advice?
I would say that any usb-midi keyboard would work, plug it in, and in LMMS connect it desired instrument, and there you go.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

I had a Samson Graphite 49 that I sold some time ago. I am a newbie, but my impression was that it was great kit. There were two problems that I ran into. The first was that the editor software that came with it (the software to change what the keys and pads do) only ran on Windows or OS X. Probably related to that, I remember when trying to get it to work with LMMS, that the signal for the keys and the pads was the same. Maybe this would have worked differently if I had used the proprietary editor. I am really tempted to buy a new one and try again as the prices have gone down, but I would prefer not ending up being unable to find a solution to this problem.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote:I had a Samson Graphite 49 that I sold some time ago. I am a newbie, but my impression was that it was great kit. There were two problems that I ran into. The first was that the editor software that came with it (the software to change what the keys and pads do) only ran on Windows or OS X. Probably related to that, I remember when trying to get it to work with LMMS, that the signal for the keys and the pads was the same. Maybe this would have worked differently if I had used the proprietary editor. I am really tempted to buy a new one and try again as the prices have gone down, but I would prefer not ending up being unable to find a solution to this problem.
I have Novation Launchkey 61. It has 3 buttons which don't send midi event, all others send something (18 pads, 15 buttons, 9 sliders, 8 turning knobs)
With qmidiroute you can shuffle all midi events how you ever want to. Turn controls to notes, or what ever you want.

And in case you want to do even more complicated things, then check Mididings. http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

tavasti wrote:I have Novation Launchkey 61. It has 3 buttons which don't send midi event, all others send something (18 pads, 15 buttons, 9 sliders, 8 turning knobs)
With qmidiroute you can shuffle all midi events how you ever want to. Turn controls to notes, or what ever you want.

And in case you want to do even more complicated things, then check Mididings. http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/
So when you write that your keyboard "sends something" on all but three buttons, do you mean that each sends a midi event that is separate and distinguishable from each other midi event?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote: So when you write that your keyboard "sends something" on all but three buttons, do you mean that each sends a midi event that is separate and distinguishable from each other midi event?
Yes, and they make sense. Pads sen 'note on - note off' messages, on ch 10, which is commonly used for drums. Others send some ctrl.

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

tavasti wrote:Yes, and they make sense. Pads sen 'note on - note off' messages, on ch 10, which is commonly used for drums. Others send some ctrl.
It seems that the keyboards are setup for commercial programs with presets for those programs. Can you post something about how you setup your LMMS presets to work with the Novation Launchkey 61? Thanks.

BTW, I have seen a comment online that the pads on the Launchkey aren't very good. Something about having to use a lot of pressure and that the pads are mounted on top of the keyboard, rather than being level with the keyboard surface. What do you think?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote:
tavasti wrote:Yes, and they make sense. Pads sen 'note on - note off' messages, on ch 10, which is commonly used for drums. Others send some ctrl.
It seems that the keyboards are setup for commercial programs with presets for those programs. Can you post something about how you setup your LMMS presets to work with the Novation Launchkey 61? Thanks.
I haven't used midi features that much, and as fas as I understand, not all LMMS controls (for example play) are controllable with midi.
You can experiment with that even without keyboard, start qmidiroute, and send raw midi commands to it with amidi-command or maybe notes with vmpk. Put lmms to listen your qmidiroute. With fiddling how qmidiroute shuffles your midi commands, it's possible to get everything tested. I think one potential problem is that after closing all programs/reboot, are those midi connection mappings still the same?

However, get second hand keyboard, at least here in Finland you get them for 50€ from common market place pages. If you don't like it, sell it with same price.
globetrotterdk wrote:BTW, I have seen a comment online that the pads on the Launchkey aren't very good. Something about having to use a lot of pressure and that the pads are mounted on top of the keyboard, rather than being level with the keyboard surface. What do you think?
Haven't used them nearly at all, and not used any other brand, so can't say much. Personally I don't think they they need much force, but I'm more 'big hammer is better'-type, so my comments may not be valuable for anyone else. And my placing for keyboard is bad, so most ergonomic problems come from it.

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

tavasti wrote:However, get second hand keyboard, at least here in Finland you get them for 50€ from common market place pages. If you don't like it, sell it with same price
That sounds like a good idea, but that means I will have to cast my net a bit wider as there are no used Novation Launchkey keyboards available locally at all at this time.

Anyone know if the Akai MPK49 works well with Linux/LMMS?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote: That sounds like a good idea, but that means I will have to cast my net a bit wider as there are no used Novation Launchkey keyboards available locally at all at this time.

Anyone know if the Akai MPK49 works well with Linux/LMMS?
Akai LPK25 at least works (I have one of them also), and I would really bet that any usb-midi keyboard works.

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

I decided to order a new Novation Launchkey 49 as I am worried about running into the problem with the same signal for keys and pads with some other brand/model. Good to know that it isn't the case with the Novation Launchkey 49 (assuming the hardware is basically the the same as the Novation Launchkey 61). I have noted that there are a few people that have run into the same problem and Akai support has been downright nasty with anyone using Linux.

In the meantime, until my midi controller arrives, I have borrowed an Akai lpk25 to start working with LMMS. Anyone know if jackd starts at boot when the Ubuntu Studio audio group and plugins are installed, or is it necessary to start it manually? Anything else I need to do before the keyboard will work with LMMS?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

globetrotterdk wrote:In the meantime, until my midi controller arrives, I have borrowed an Akai lpk25 to start working with LMMS. Anyone know if jackd starts at boot when the Ubuntu Studio audio group and plugins are installed, or is it necessary to start it manually? Anything else I need to do before the keyboard will work with LMMS?
Specificly, with lmms you don't even need to have jack. For everything else music software, you do need.

globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

tavasti wrote:Specificly, with lmms you don't even need to have jack. For everything else music software, you do need.
Coooool :-)
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

OK, so I found the path to the soundfont installed with the Ubuntu Studio bits /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 and I set that as the default soundfont file in LMMS. I have dragged the SF2 player to a new project, and I can see that the blinking light and the keys are moving in LMMS. However, there is no sound coming out when I tap the keyboard. I have been to the sound control panel and the only input listed is the microphone. What am I missing? I am using Ubuntu Mate 16.04 with the audio group bits from Ubuntu Studio installed.

Edit
I guess I forgot to restart LMMS. It seems to be working now.
globetrotterdk
Established Member

Post by globetrotterdk »

OK, I received my Novation Launchkey 49 today and I am trying to figure out how to get it set up in LMMS. LMMS tries to auto detect, and it works to a certain extent. The master volume is detected, but master pitch isn't. I can't seem to get any sound from LMMS to my computer (which has functioning sound). Is this because the prefs are set to ALSA? The "track" display on the keyboard changes "tracks" when I move a volume control slider up or down - weird behavior. LMMS provides a controller rack window - not sure what to use that for. The LFO controller has bass ++ controls and wave forms, but nothing that would allow the Novation Launchkey to auto control my test projects outputs. Those seem to be the main issues. Anyone have any ideas?