High end audiocard with lots of I/O: firewire or usb?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tonydubshot
Established Member

Re: High end audiocard with lots of I/O: firewire or usb?

Post by tonydubshot »

stanlea wrote:No, but if I had money for now, it would my setup. I use an old RME Digi 96/8 PAD connected to various ADAT stuff, including a RME adat daughter card, and an old Event EZBus. The thing is that ADAT is stable and as long as the PCI card works with ADAT, you cannot have surprises. You have zero driver issues.
I like the fact that ADAT is a musical standard instead of a computer industry standard. I also like the idea of separating AD conversion and computer interface. And the fact that card has no issues. Plus for me the idea of 16 analog in/outs at this price is very nice. I read the SOS review of the Ferrofish and it's looking good.

So i want to thank you very much for inspoiration, right now i'm 99% sure this will be my setup.

I hope i can return the favor some time :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
for bla bla and music check out http://www.dubbhism.org
superprick
Established Member

Post by superprick »

just to chime in here look at the motu AVB line of stuff..... I know they are hostile to linux But. every device in this line is av compliant. I have a few folks in another forum who have tested it with an android table. out of the box working. If you connect via usb it is only capable of 64 channels not the full 128 via thunderbolt. But the cool part is that the android tester was able to see and use the other devices on the avb network. up to 64 channels. I am probably going to order one on guitar centers 30 day loaner plan lol. to see if it actually works.
Be.
Established Member

Post by Be. »

superprick wrote:just to chime in here look at the motu AVB line of stuff..... I know they are hostile to linux But. every device in this line is av compliant. I have a few folks in another forum who have tested it with an android table. out of the box working. If you connect via usb it is only capable of 64 channels not the full 128 via thunderbolt. But the cool part is that the android tester was able to see and use the other devices on the avb network. up to 64 channels. I am probably going to order one on guitar centers 30 day loaner plan lol. to see if it actually works.
I wish I had seen this before getting my RME Babyface Pro. I'm going to get a MOTU Ultralite AVB to replace my Babyface Pro.