Does Arturia Minilab work? (SOLVED - WORKS)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

insanemachina
Established Member

Does Arturia Minilab work? (SOLVED - WORKS)

Post by insanemachina »

I was thinking about gifting myself one for Christmas, but I've seen some reports on the forum of people having problems. It seems most of them are because of old kernels and/or permissions, that should not be a problem because I keep my kernel updated and my user is on the audio group. Other than that, any other thing I may need to know?
Last edited by insanemachina on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Does Arturia Minilab work?

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi. I've never heard of Arturia hardware/software working in linux,
(with the possible exception being Bitwig) or their software working with wine.
An exhaustive google search might turn something up. Bitwig did a bundle deal with Arturia
KeyLab for awhile, but there were a high number of faulty keyboards. Bitwig now bundle
with Nektar controllers.

If you have a windows setup, your favorites among the
thousands of bundled Arturia sounds could be sampled with Bliss from discoDSP,
and then played with linux version of Bliss. This might be the best-case scenario,
but I would only purchase from a place you can guarantee will accept returns or do
hassle-free exchanges. The lure of choosing hundreds of very nice sounds (from the thousands)
at a low price, is tempting. Same sounds ship with the cheaper $99 MiniLab controller.
Quite tempted myself, along with the Korg Taktile-Triton, another controller bundled
with tons of sounds, but untested in linux as of yet. (you get a PIN for the excellent
Korg Legacy Edition (sadly, not working in wine!) but 512 sound Triton soundset should be a matter
of line-out to line-in, and can be modified to some extent at the controller, just not re-saved -read-only.
Another use-case for Bliss, discoDSP has promised hardware sampling in a future update!

It also has a Kaossilator X-Y pad, assignable to scales/key for
the creative genious to jam with! Probably stunning results with rakarrack!

If learning sound design is part of your plan, there will certainly be many examples
from several sources that could be applied to the Calf MonoSynth, among others.
Happy shopping!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Bitwig-Nektar Not a bad choice for serious linux users!

http://www.amazon.com/Nektar-Impact-key ... B00OS7YANY
insanemachina
Established Member

Post by insanemachina »

I went ahead and bought the Minilab on friday, it will arrive today, most likely in the next 2 hours.
I could probably live without Arturia's software, as long as I can use it to control LMMS, Hydrogen and other instruments. I'm not chasing presets, I decided I need to really create my own and understand sound synthesis deeper and maybe create my own virtual instruments later..... I just need a proper controller, because working with my normal writing keyboard and a mouse is not enough anymore.... I need knobs, pads, proper keys and all this stuff only a proper MIDI controller has to offer, the tactile surface....
insanemachina
Established Member

Post by insanemachina »

Sorry for the delay. It arrived.
Works great on KXStudio, Hydrogen autoconnects it, everything else you have to manually connect through Claudia or on the GUI like on LMMS... No luck on running Analog Lab.
bentheass
Established Member

Re: Does Arturia Minilab work? (SOLVED - WORKS)

Post by bentheass »

Hi everyone, I know I'm reviving quite an old thread...
What's the status of the minilab line nowadays? I am willing to live without the arturia software but is getting all the functionality of the pads, and faders pretty simple or still a huge pain? Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamindaass
https://www.thechurchofotherworldlysounds.com/
Mixbus32Cv9 on Xubuntu 20.04.6 with kernel version 5.15.0-91-lowlatency with 2nd Gen Scarlett 18i20 on a custom built box (Intel i5-11400F, 32 gigs DDR4, etc)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Does Arturia Minilab work? (SOLVED - WORKS)

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

bentheass wrote:Hi everyone, I know I'm reviving quite an old thread...
What's the status of the minilab line nowadays? I am willing to live without the arturia software but is getting all the functionality of the pads, and faders pretty simple or still a huge pain? Thanks in advance.
See this topic. Depends on the revision number you've got. Bottom line: I wouldn't recommend the device unless you've had the chance to test it in Linux yourself. Something with the letter "N" in the serial number...