Reliable USB Interface for guitar recording in Ubuntu Studio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bulevardi
Established Member

Re: Reliable USB Interface for guitar recording in Ubuntu St

Post by bulevardi »

Alright. With these settings, I managed to click start, without errors showing up.
However, still no sound.

But now he won't open Rakarrack. Gives me the following message: "cannot make a jack client, is jackd running?"

In the connect settings as you posted below, I only see "System", and not Rakarrack or Pulse Audio Jack Sink
potatopete wrote:
qjackctl2.png
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

A friend of mine said I had to remove Jackdbus first, by the following tutorial:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=72486

However, he cannot find those files ~/.jackdrc, ~/.config/jack/conf.xml, ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf.
So I suppose I don't have jackdbus?

However, when I go to my softwarecenter, I see that Jack Audio Connection Kit is already installed, and there doesn't seem to exist another "jackdbus" software to install.
Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

tbx59 wrote: I've been trying to get my alesis io2 to work and it only shows up in jack as midi. I know you said it worked out of the box for you, but could you perhaps look at your settings as that might help mine work. thank you.
Hopefully he can solve your problem too.
As far as I searched google, the Alesis io2 shouldn't give problems in linux, or not that much as when I search for the Behringer link cable where I bump on problem threads all the time.
However, I read somewhere that the Behringer cable should would have worked out of the box by some people too.
Get In Touch^^
potatopete
Established Member

Post by potatopete »

bulevardi wrote:Alright. With these settings, I managed to click start, without errors showing up.
However, still no sound.

But now he won't open Rakarrack. Gives me the following message: "cannot make a jack client, is jackd running?"

In the connect settings as you posted below, I only see "System", and not Rakarrack or Pulse Audio Jack Sink
OK, you're definitely making progress. Give this a go - if Jack is running, click on Stop in qjackctl, then click on Setup. Go to the 'Misc' tab and disable "Enable Dbus interface" (so there is no tick next to it).
Click OK and then click on Start again.

Now try opening Rakarrack. If it runs (and only if it runs), you'll see rakkarrack in the connect settings - it won't show up until it is running.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

potatopete wrote: OK, you're definitely making progress. Give this a go - if Jack is running, click on Stop in qjackctl, then click on Setup. Go to the 'Misc' tab and disable "Enable Dbus interface" (so there is no tick next to it).
Click OK and then click on Start again.

Now try opening Rakarrack. If it runs (and only if it runs), you'll see rakkarrack in the connect settings - it won't show up until it is running.
AWESOME

As you see as attachment. It worked!
The problem seemed to be in that Misc tab (disable dbus interface).

Just tested in Audacity, works fine to record. (see screenshot as proof ! ) I think I don't need more than that just for now :)

Tested in Ardour, but didn't find my way yet, I think he's recording something because I see some lights popping up when playing, so he found connection, but Ardour is still a step too difficult for me, need to get an afternoon free to get to learn to work with it, maybe follow some tutorials first.
(couldn't test with music out loud, the babies are sleeping here, don't have a headphone neither)

Anyway, already aweome to get it to work.
Without Rakarrack it doesn't, but Rakarrack seems a really nice pedal tool to experiment with, just what I need!

Thanks to you all!
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Get In Touch^^
potatopete
Established Member

Post by potatopete »

Fantastic! Really pleased to see it's all working.
slaykristian

Re: Reliable USB Interface for guitar recording in Ubuntu Studio

Post by slaykristian »

Hi all!
I'm new in this forum. I found this discussion on google.
Are 4 months since I bought the guitarlink and I tried a lot of settings in order to play comfortably my guitar under ubuntu studio, with rackarrak effects.

Rackarrak works, but, after some minutes the sound scratch and the latency seems to grow up...

Have you experience with rackarrak used for a long time and this guitarlink UCG102?

Thanks in advance!
Spanner
Established Member

Re: Reliable USB Interface for guitar recording in Ubuntu Studio

Post by Spanner »

Is your CPU setting (in BIOS) set to powersave mode? I don't know what the term is, but when on it scales back the processor speed. Less heat, less fan noise... but I get a lot of xruns (= scratchiness and stuttering) when it is set to on.