Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - success!

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

male
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - success!

Postby male » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:02 pm

danboid wrote:iodelay is working now - thanks for your advice male. The latency varies wildly if Direct Monitor isn't fully set to playback so I obviously didn't check that dial on my first attempt.

I had already done all the tweaks you suggested except my JACK priority is at the 85 default - I'll try upping that soon to see if I can get some more out of it.

Excellent

danboid wrote:I'm presuming the ALSA issue will get fixed eventually. A good first step might be for one of us chickens to report it as broke.

[/quote]

Actually, I'm not sure that it is broke. I borrowed a windows laptop and tried it there: There was also no software mixer in Windows. I think that this device simply lacks software mixer controls since it has a physical volume knob.

danboid
Established Member

Postby danboid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 pm

I've tried upping JACKs RT priority but still can't run JACK at any lower than 64 without steady xruns, like I get at 32 here. What distro and kernel do you run male? Have you got a sizeable beast of a machine (unlike me)?

I tried my 2i4 out under Windows for the first time at a friends house recently but didn't think to check the mixer options - thanks for pointing that out!
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

male
Established Member

Postby male » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 pm

danboid wrote:I've tried upping JACKs RT priority but still can't run JACK at any lower than 64 without steady xruns, like I get at 32 here. What distro and kernel do you run male? Have you got a sizeable beast of a machine (unlike me)?

But did you set the IRQ priority of the USB controller also (I use the rtirq script for this)? It's the critical step--as is running an -rt kernel. Also note that I'm using the free-software radeon driver--with all the low-priority and low-performance settings I could find enabled. Using a proprietary driver is probably hopeless. The graphics card is always your worst enemy for low latency audio.

Yes, I do have a faster machine (just upgraded to FX-8350 (8-core @ 4.4Ghz)). But I was getting similar latencies my previous system, which was close to your specs (an Athlon II X4 @ 2.6Ghz).

CPU speed has less to do with latency and more to do with total DSP load capability.

I only upgraded for photo editing... with (my at least) audio software I never even came close to maxing out the Athlon--even doing full mixing/mastering at 1-3ms latency.

danboid wrote:I tried my 2i4 out under Windows for the first time at a friends house recently but didn't think to check the mixer options - thanks for pointing that out!

I actually prefer the physical controls... It's just a damn shame that the volume control doesn't affect channels 3 & 4...

danboid
Established Member

Postby danboid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am

Yes, USB has the highest priority in my rtirq config but still, 64 is a low as I can go before xruns attack!

I am running the prop. NV driver though so I should try with nouveau, see if things improve
Are you new to Linux Audio? This manual explains how to install KXStudio, set up and use JACK, mimimize latency, lists the best Linux AV apps and much more all in a concise and easy to understand format.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/kxstudio_manual

phonky
Established Member

Postby phonky » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 am

I also just unpacked a brand new 2i4

But I haven't managed to get jack running with it :(

Using Linux Mint Nadia 14
4GB RAM
Jack config:
Input / Output Device:
hw:PCH,0 [ALC269VB Analog]
hw:PCH,3 [HDMI 0]
hw:USB,0 [USB Audio] <-- SELECTED

Input / Output Channels : 2
Sample Rate 480000 (tried 44.1 and 96 kHz too)
Periods/Buffer: 2

Logs:
Tue May 7 19:34:02 2013: Starting jack server...
Tue May 7 19:34:02 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 85
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: cannot register object path "/org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2": A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio2 error : A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: Audio device hw:USB,0 cannot be acquired...
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Tue May 7 19:34:03 2013: ERROR: Failed to open server

Any idea wha'ts wrong?

phonky
Established Member

Postby phonky » Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 am

I think it's fixed.

Instead of selecting the USB device in
Input/Output device,
I there selected "None",
and then I could select USB device in
Interface.

Seems to be working :)

Smeefer
Established Member

Postby Smeefer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 am

Does the Scarlett 2i4 function completely now at 24/96 for stereo recording and playback and everything in Linux? I'm using AVLinux and I want to either get a Scarlett 2i4 or 2i2, depending on their capabilities. I just need to record and playback audio at 24/96, be able to use qjackctl and all the music software, including software that needs to be used with a2jmidid like Qsampler as well. Would it be a better choice for me to get the 2i4 or the 2i2?
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer <--listen to Smeefer's music!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
www.camversion.org/smeefers-blog <--read Smeefer's blah blah blog!

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Postby j_e_f_f_g » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 am

Smeefer wrote:software that needs to be used with a2jmidid like Qsampler

Yep, I suspected you were asking the wrong question in the other thread. Qsampler is a softsynth. It may be internally "played" by routing midi data into it, but its output is audio. Think of it like a black box that converts midi into audio on-the-fly.

You can route midi data all over inside your computer. You need MIDI jacks on the audio interface only if you're going to connect external MIDI gear, such as a piano keyboard to manually play qsampler, or use a real hardware sampler to play your midi tracks (instead of qsampler).

Smeefer
Established Member

Postby Smeefer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:49 am

Awesome, I felt that should be the case but I haven't yet used an interface that didn't have MIDI ports, so I just had to ask to make sure. Thanks!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer <--listen to Smeefer's music!
www.camversion.org/music-smeefer-collabs <--listen to Smeefer's music with vocalists.
www.camversion.org/smeefers-blog <--read Smeefer's blah blah blog!

Return to “Computer Related Hardware”