which usb audio interface?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nicola
Established Member

which usb audio interface?

Post by nicola »

Hi all,

I am looking for a cheap USB audio interface for doing some home recording (guitar, bass, mic) with Linux.
After lots of searching and checking with availability at local stores, I narrowed down my search to these three products:
  • lexicon alpha
  • m-audio fast track mkii
  • tascam us100
These product seem pretty much the same to me, the most notable difference being that the tascam us100 is 16 bit while the other two are 24 bit, and that I can get the lexicon alpha for a bit less (65 EUR) compared to the others (89 EUR). Do you think it's safe to go for the lexicon, or would you suggest to go for one of the other two? It's my first external audio interface, so I wonder if I am overlooking some important aspect...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Arpee Ong
Established Member

Re: which usb audio interface?

Post by Arpee Ong »

hi nicola,

also try checking out xenyx302USB

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/302USB.aspx

it has a jack input where you can plug in bass/guitar directly without having to down-adapt your 1/4 jack to 3.5mm, worked nice for me for capturing, it is not for multi track recording though as you may only record one at a time since it only has 1 jack in, you can however record from 1/4 mic input with the rca inputs simultaneously.

if it is okay for you to down-adapt 1/4 to 3.5mm, encore 7.1 audio box is also a cheap choice:

http://www.encore-usa.com/us/product/ENMAB-8CM

i however have not managed to make full duplex recording work yet for this device via jack, which does not bother me because i have other sound cards lying around and i find it best to use a separate recording sound card with my output monitors (accomplished via alsa_out/in).

i own both devices above, they're very cheap but quite handy and happy with performance so far.

goodluck mate..
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

nicola wrote:
  • lexicon alpha
  • m-audio fast track mkii
  • tascam us100
learn more of feutures befor buying anything.
none of them even has balanced outputs
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

steevc wrote:Most of the older USB interfaces (USB 1.1) should work, but many will be limited to 2 channels in/out and 16 bit.
Not all! My old old Tascam US-428 was 4-channel input on USB 1.1 before USB 2 even existed.
My current Alesis io4 express has 4-channel if you switch it to 16-bit mode. Works flawlessly with KXStudio. No problems. Decent sound. Really low price too. I actually went and got an io2 also just to be more portable since the io2 is USB-powered.

io4, used options for around $100:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NM ... B004NMVUV4

io2 is only $80:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HR ... B003HR30FU

If you can manage with 2-channels, get the io2, it's USB powered and small. You can always sell it later and get something else. Or use it alongside other things or as a portable option. And if that can buy you some time, there will surely be USB 3 options that really are great within a couple years. USB 3 is full duplex finally.

Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I have the lexicon omega and have been very impressed with it. The alpha uses the same driver set, so I can confirm it works out of the box with all distros I've tried. Can't speak to any of the others
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I upgraded my sound device about half a year ago. My research turned out that Konnekt devices are best bang for buck for pro linux compatible devices. Search in Gearslutz for opinions of the converters and preamps of their products.
"supported" in this case means, it works for what I need(ed)/will need. The embedded effects of my Konnekt 24D can't be controlled via FFado-mixer. Also initial configuration I had to do via the software on windows. But practicly all "soundcard" functions work, ONLY 192.000Hz doesn't, which in my case I'll never need.

Just mentioned this to give a nother option.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

danboid wrote:jeff: OP is asking about "USB and cheap" - your rants are OT and wasted here.
You have a point - though I find jeff's arguments interesting (though perhaps a bit long-winded or overly emotional - but that's just style).

Perhaps some moderator could split this thread in 2?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

raboof wrote:Perhaps some moderator could split this thread in 2?
Done, the other topic is here: Support for audio interfaces under Linux.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm not sure what the OP wants other than cheap + USB but I want all that, 2 x XLR inputs w/ phantom power and MIDI ports are preferable for me.

I've looked into the state of play a bit more this afternoon and for about £150 or less it looks like these would be my (and the OPs?) best bets:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4

Presonus Audiobox

Roland Duo Capture EX

From what I've read, it seems the Audiobox is only USB 1.1, its latency isn't quite as good as the Scarlett and a few people seem to think the Scarlett's pre-amps just have the edge over the Audiobox too but I've read many reports of the Audiobox working great with Linux whilst I've not found any reports for the 2i4 or the Roland running under Linux at all. I'm presuming the 2i4 should work as supposedly the 2i2 works and the Roland device is advertised for use with iPads so it SHOULD be USB 2 audio class-compliant?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

After having read:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343091

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9929

and

http://ardour.org/node/4709

I feel safer in choosing a Scarlett over the others. Of course, I could play it safe and get a 2i2 but I really want the mix dial and MIDI ports and I can see the extra outs coming in handy sometimes too so I'm prepared to take the risk and pay a bit extra for a 2i4. I expect I'll order it tomorrow so I'll report back when its arrived and I've tested it.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Maybe you missed my mention of the Alesis io2 express?
While the Scarlett probably has higher quality parts, the Alesis really does sound decent to me, it isn't a piece of junk — it's a real legit interface, and it seem pretty sturdy.
It's really inexpensive. It is 24-bit. It has every single feature of the Scarlett, including a mix knob etc etc. except that the Alesis only goes to 48kHz not 96, and has only 2 outputs and not 4.
So there's really no risk given the low price. The io4 is the same minus bus-power and add 2 more in and 2 more out channels if you go to 16-bit mode.

At any rate, if your goal was good value and not too pricey… fact is, the Alesis works great with Linux, no issues, low latency, no setup.

Anyway, good luck!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi wolftune!

I saw your recommendation and I did have a look but it'd take something special to convince me that the Scarlett devices aren't the best budget USB audio interfaces for Linux now because:

* Focusrite have the best rep in the Linux community - they co-operate with instead of fighting us (*cough* Avid *cough* MOTU)

* The Scarlett is USB 2 / 24bit, I don't think the Alesis is

* I know how good Focusrite gear is as I've already got a Saffire Pro 26

* The rave reviews the Scarlett gets in that KVR thread - Alesis didn't even get mentioned

I'm sure your device is good or you wouldn't be recommending it but the consensus seems to be the Scarlett is the best for the money right now - thanks anyway!

(Lets hope the 2i4 actually works with Linux now eh?) ;)
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

To answer your questions:
Scarlett is probably a bit higher end parts.
Alesis io2 / io4 are totally fine 24-bit and absolutely certain to be Linux compatible because it is USB 1.1. class compliant, no drivers needed.

So to put it simply, there is absolutely no issue of Alesis working with or not working with Linux, the devices are just standardized and require no special drivers at all.

If Scarlett were the same price, then it might be best for the money. At the price difference, it is simply best, but not best value for the money.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

wolftune wrote:Alesis io2 / io4 are totally fine 24-bit and absolutely certain to be Linux compatible because it is USB 1.1. class compliant, no drivers needed. So to put it simply, there is absolutely no issue of Alesis working with or not working with Linux, the devices are just standardized and require no special drivers at all.
Wolf, that can't be so. Usb-audio 1 class compliance does not allow 24-bit audio. It's technically not possible. Only usb-audio 2 compliance allows that. If the Alesis does 24-bit audio under Linux, then one of two things must be true:

1) The alesis is usb-audio 2 compliant, not usb-audio 1 compliant. This would be the first time I've heard that. I long ago read the io2 and io4 user manuals, and I definitely did not note any verification of 2 compliance. I would have definitely noticed that (like I did when I read RME's literature on the UCX).

2) Someone did in fact add alesis proprietary support to ALSA's usb_audio.ko driver. I just peeked at the source for ALSA's kernel/usb/quirks*.* drivers, which is where you'd find any evidence of proprietary usb support. For example, that's where you'll see the device specific support for various Edirol devices such as the UA-25ex, and the M-audio Fast Track pro, and other such proprietary "Special" non-standard support for devices which we have verified do indeed go beyond usb-audio 1 compliance under linux. There is no entry for the alesis io2 nor io4.

So I have to ask -- Can you verify if one of the above is true? Do you yourself own an io2 or io4, and can do something like grab a 24-bit wave file and fire up alsaplay to test that it does in fact support this? Are you suuuuuuuure we're not passing on some info we "heard" somewhere, but is actually based upon false assumptions (maybe from feel-good FAQs that merely say "unless someone tells me it doesn't work, I'll just assume otherwise") rather than bonafide testing? Are we sure we're not setting up someone to get burned by Linux?

Because I gotta say, right now I'm really uneasy about letting him believe the alesis will do 24-bit under linux today. Incidentally, there are no entries for any lexicon device in ALSA's quirks either. And I long ago read that lexicon's online manual, and it definitely didn't mention usb-audio 2 compliance. (I'm not kidding around when I tell people I've done extensive, long-term research into linux audio support, with an eye toward everything I could uncover). And so far I'm the only guy to warn him exactly why his lexicon assumption was probably incorrect (and which I feel fairly confident is indeed incorrect). But unfortunately that bit of info has moved to another thread, and now he's left with only "Don't worry, be happy" responses that seem to be based on... well, no actual verified testing.

I'm worried this poor guy is about to get burned by yet more "linux audio misinformation". I'm not implying that anyone is doing that deliberately or maliciously. But I'm getting worried it may be happening.

So... anyone got any hard evidence to alleviate my apprehension?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Jeff, you are simply mistaken.

I own both Alesis units. They are 24-bit class-compliant. I use them both in Linux. Period. I've been saying that all along.

And I used the Tascam US-428 back in 2001, and it was 24-bit 4-channel over USB 1.1, my iMac at the time didn't even have USB 2 at all.

Here's what USB 1 could NOT do: 24-bit 96kHz.
If you stick to 44.1 or 48, then you can do 24-bit on USB 1.1 and thus use the same devices on USB 2.0. And there's no special drivers needed. That's that.

Cheers
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar