OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage Program EQ V3.0.1

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage Program EQ V3.0.1

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

The OverTone PTC-2A Vintage Program EQ V3.0.1 for Windows, Mac and Linux is now available. V3.0.1 adds an output level control, together with a phase invert / polarity switch. The default control mode is now relative, providing improved parameter adjustment.
Please note additional features may affect backwards compatibility with earlier versions in some hosts, see information contained within the download.
This is a free update for existing users - don't forget there's only a short time remaining to get these plug-ins at the giveaway price of only £10 each excl VAT.
Download and demo for free at:www.overtonedsp.co.uk
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage Program EQ V3.0.1

Post by sysrqer »

Excellent, I think the level control was definitely needed. It would be great to see this on the FC70 as well.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Great. I use it on a regular basis.

Also posted in Harrison Mixbus forum.

Cheers.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is my very favorite plug-in! Thanks for the update Mike.
listenable at c6a7.org
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks Mike for the update! I found turning the knobs a bit buggy in Bitwig and Reaper, they work smooth in Renoise (all on Debian Stretch / XFCE) . When moving the mouse up they do not make a full turn but feel a bit sticky. IF you need more info, please let me know.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

From what I can in Bitwig (Linux MInt 18.1 KDE) is that if I grab the outer rim of the knobs with the mouse it's OK. But if it's grabbed from the inner part of the knob it won't be so good. In all cases the mouse wheel works fine.

Compared with PTM-5A, the PTM-5A knobs can be grabbed at any place on the knob. And it responds quicker.

No big deal I'd say, but one has to be aware that for the PTC-2A the outer rim has to be grabbed. Which might not be ideal for new customers.

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Doesn't work for me. For the new PTC-2A version you have to draw a circle with the mouse while it works with a line for the old version. Not a big deal, just wanted to mention it.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Yes, a circle has to be drawn also when holding the outer rim of the knob. The implication of this might matter for new customers.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Just to clear up any confusion around the UI controls (its also mentioned in the manual which no-one ever reads.. :) ) The latest version has three control modes:

1. Circular. In this mode, the knob locates to the angular position of the mouse pointer when you click on the control, and you drag clockwise or anti-clockwise in a circle or an arc to increase or decrease.

2. Relative Circular. This is identical to mode 1, except the control does not locate to the mouse pointer, but moves relative to its current position.

3. Linear. In this mode dragging up or down increases or decreases the control value.

For host applications which correctly support mode setting from the host e.g. Cubase, Reaper etc (as per the VST standard) you can configure the control behaviour this way. For host applications which don't support this, the plug-in now defaults to mode 2.

In all modes, double clicking on the centre of the control resets it to its default position. The mouse / scroll wheel can also be used to adjust parameter values. It might take a short time to get used to the circular control modes, but I have taken significant time to implement this in a way which I believe works better than any other plug-in GUI I've used with similar modes. Just like using physical controls, you will find the control sensitivity changes as you move further from the centre. (Like trying to turn a control using just its shaft vs using a larger control knob for example). This also means you instinctively get fine or coarse control without the need for shift modifiers etc.

(You don't have to drag only on the rim of the control, just click on the control and drag in an arc - you can move closer or further away at the same time if you want, you still have the grab on the control until you release the mouse button, just as with linear modes. Try not to over analyse it)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks, I found it in Reaper (Preferences -> VST -> Knob Mode).
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

For host applications which don't support this, the plug-in now defaults to mode 2.
In Renoise it seems to be linear by default.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

In Renoise it seems to be linear by default.
I guess Renoise must be setting it to linear. It will default to mode 2 unless the host tells it something different (Presonus Studio One also appears to select linear mode)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Okidoki
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Excellent, I think the level control was definitely needed. It would be great to see this on the FC70 as well.
Its always been a bit contentious - personally I don't believe a level control is required, and that generally has been the view of other engineers, however I appreciate that a level control can be a useful aid while you get used to how the plug-in(s) are designed to operate. Adding the level control to the toolbar seemed a reasonable compromise and we are planning to do this for the other plug-ins. That way its not part of the emulation (neither the vintage Pultec style EQs, or the Fairchild Limiter hardware have extra level controls) and you can use it less as you become accustomed to the plug-in.

Tip: The FC70 is a soft-knee compressor / limiter, so if you need more output level, instead of just turning up the output gain (or the fader in your DAW), consider just turning up the input gain and adjusting the threshold controls to get back to the same level of gain reduction. That way you have a louder output and the same level of compression.

Meantime, this is in development:

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Its always been a bit contentious - personally I don't believe a level control is required, and that generally has been the view of other engineers, however I appreciate that a level control can be a useful aid while you get used to how the plug-in(s) are designed to operate. Adding the level control to the toolbar seemed a reasonable compromise and we are planning to do this for the other plug-ins. That way its not part of the emulation (neither the vintage Pultec style EQs, or the Fairchild Limiter hardware have extra level controls) and you can use it less as you become accustomed to the plug-in.

Tip: The FC70 is a soft-knee compressor / limiter, so if you need more output level, instead of just turning up the output gain (or the fader in your DAW), consider just turning up the input gain and adjusting the threshold controls to get back to the same level of gain reduction. That way you have a louder output and the same level of compression.
I can understand that it is perhaps a slight departure from the real thing but I think a lot of people will find it very handy. The thing that I don't like about the pultec design is that I find it a bit of a unnecessarily fiddly process to gain match. You can do what you suggest but it can be a bit tedious to set it up and get it sounding just how you want and then turn off to A/B only to discover that the gain is not as close as you thought, and then adjusting the threshold and input gain means dialling in the compression again. And then repeat if you don't quite nail it. All while a simple output gain control allows you to think of gain matching as an afterthought and can be done quickly and simply.
mike@overtonedsp wrote: Meantime, this is in development:
That is looking sexy!