I saw this on Facebook..

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

I saw this on Facebook..

Post by funkmuscle »

I don't know if anyone posted this yet but I thought it was quite interesting. I don't even know if this is the right Forum to post it so correct me if necessary.https://www.youraudiosystems.com/en/aes67-linux/
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: I saw this on Facebook..

Post by CrocoDuck »

That's interesting, although it seems more like technology for professional audio in the realm of intercom & telecommunications rather than music. Or at least that is the impression I got while giving it a cursory look. Not that the two domains cannot cross-pollinate.

By the way, that is a realm where I found Linux to be quite strong. That, as well as inflight entertainment and automotive audio/video stuff, which uses similar technology really. There are actually many similar companies, similarly sized and similarly old, that offer similar services. They work with/on Linux, and deploy Linux based software/hardware solutions for their customers, whether that is intercom systems, telecommunication systems, PA systems or sometimes audio systems for concert halls as complex as wavefront synthesis.

These are engineering service providers though, you are gonna call those guys to do business, not to buy fancy audio-cards :wink:

May I suggest to use more descriptive thread titles? That would make it easier for the topic to be found also from outside the forums.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

CrocoDuck wrote:That's interesting, although it seems more like technology for professional audio in the realm of intercom & telecommunications rather than music. Or at least that is the impression I got while giving it a cursory look. Not that the two domains cannot cross-pollinate.

By the way, that is a realm where I found Linux to be quite strong. That, as well as inflight entertainment and automotive audio/video stuff, which uses similar technology really. There are actually many similar companies, similarly sized and similarly old, that offer similar services. They work with/on Linux, and deploy Linux based software/hardware solutions for their customers, whether that is intercom systems, telecommunication systems, PA systems or sometimes audio systems for concert halls as complex as wavefront synthesis.

These are engineering service providers though, you are gonna call those guys to do business, not to buy fancy audio-cards :wink:

May I suggest to use more descriptive thread titles? That would make it easier for the topic to be found also from outside the forums.
oh yeah dude, auto/tv/ security etc., most of those companies are using Linux.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

CrocoDuck wrote:That's interesting, although it seems more like technology for professional audio in the realm of intercom & telecommunications rather than music. Or at least that is the impression I got while giving it a cursory look. Not that the two domains cannot cross-pollinate.
How come Dante (which they mention first when talking about similar protocols) is related to telecommunications? It's purely a recording studio thing.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
How come Dante (which they mention first when talking about similar protocols) is related to telecommunications? It's purely a recording studio thing.
As far as I know, Dante is not purely a recording studio thing. It is a proprietary protocol (and hardware) to do multichannel audio over the network. It can be used for many different purposes. In fact, you can see on audinate website few different case studies in different professional audio realms, including, indeed, teleconferencing, broadcasting and PA:

https://www.audinate.com/solutions/markets

These are the realms that, to me, seemed to be the targets of youraudiosystems. But maybe not. I would imagine their stuff to be versatile enough to target many things anyway.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

CrocoDuck wrote:I would imagine their stuff to be versatile enough to target many things anyway.
Yet they are best known for networked pro audio interfaces.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
CrocoDuck wrote:I would imagine their stuff to be versatile enough to target many things anyway.
Yet they are best known for networked pro audio interfaces.
I was not referring to Dante hardware/software specifically, but to the stuff developed by youraudiosystems, which seems more to be something, either hardware or software, that works with Dante as well as other network audio protocols, and it is built around AES standards.