All OverTone DSP plug-ins now £10 each

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: All OverTone DSP plug-ins now £10 each

Post by lilith »

Is there the possibility to control both channels of the FC-70 at the same time (linked)?
I didn't find something in the manual.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

...been looking for that, too.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

The link modes on the FC70 operate as follows:

Left / Right: The plug-in functions as two independent compressor / limiters, one on each channel, controlled by their respective GUI controls.

Link: The left and right side chains operate in essentially a 'loudest wins' configuration, with the same gain reduction applied to both channels, to maintain the stereo image. This is similar to a hardware modification applied to many vintage fairchild limiters. However, (just like the real hardware on which it is based) the controls are not physically linked. This actually allows for some creative settings which you might not be able to do if they were - but - as noted previously, the resulting gain reduction is applied to both channels so you always get a stable stereo image.

Lat / Vert: The plug-in operates as two independent compressor / limiters, acting on the mid / sides - (lat)eral / vert(ical). The exact terminology comes from the original hardware's general use as a limiter for disc cutters, where the cutting head motion would be lateral / vertical for the mono / stereo (mid / sides) information. The important thing to note about this mode, is that the input gain controls are pre the lat / vert conversion, which means the left and right input gains affect the left and right balance, but the compressor threshold settings adjust the relative lat / vert (mid / sides) balance.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Ahhhh... now I got it, while testing it in parallel :) Thanks for the reply! I still have to do more reading how to use it, but on all tracks I used it (Drums, Bass) the sound got better and more defined. I wonder if it makes sense to use e.g. multiband compression on the master bus after the FC-70.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

I wonder if it makes sense to use e.g. multiband compression on the master bus after the FC-70.
That depends on the material you are working with - generally (unless you are trying to get a specific, obvious effect) the rule is not to add too much compression. The FC70 is capable of some desirable, deliberate effects, especially on drums - but it also works well on the master buss to 'glue' a mix together. Typically you might set a medium time constant (setting 3 for example), dial in a small amount of gain using the input gain controls, and then increase the threshold controls to bring in a similar amount of gain reduction - so your overall gain is back around 0dB but the dynamics are gently tamed.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

mike@overtonedsp wrote:
I wonder if it makes sense to use e.g. multiband compression on the master bus after the FC-70.
That depends on the material you are working with - generally (unless you are trying to get a specific, obvious effect) the rule is not to add too much compression. The FC70 is capable of some desirable, deliberate effects, especially on drums - but it also works well on the master buss to 'glue' a mix together. Typically you might set a medium time constant (setting 3 for example), dial in a small amount of gain using the input gain controls, and then increase the threshold controls to bring in a similar amount of gain reduction - so your overall gain is back around 0dB but the dynamics are gently tamed.
Thanks alot! I'll try this and yes: I'm also not a fan of too much compression and over processing.