OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage EQ V3

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage EQ V3

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

Adventurous linux audio enthusiasts can find V3.0.0 of the OverTone PTC-2A here

https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/download_ptc_2a/

Available as 64Bit VST (for Ubuntu 12.10 or later). 32Bit versions are no longer available unfortunately, however 32Bit (x86) hardware is extremely rare now too, and the effort to maintain a 32Bit eco-system for test / development was no longer justifiable.
This release sees some significant updates and general rationalisation of our 'framework' (ironically, probably the biggest feature upgrade, but also the least noticeable, if everything works as intended).
Other tweaks include more flexible / consistent UI sizing across different plug-in formats, greater use of the 'chunk' API to handle presets, which should bring benefits in some hosts.
New control modes - controls now follow 'Circular', 'Relative' or 'Linear' modes, selectable in the host (the default is Circular, in which the control responds to mouse movement in a circle / arc. however, considerable effort has been invested in avoiding the jumpy or erratic behaviour which is so often a characteristic of these modes. The result is smooth predictable and intuitive control operation. Control modes can be summarised as follows:

1. Circular (default) - the control locates to the mouse pointer angular position on first click, drag in a circle or arc to turn the control clockwise or anticlockwise.
2. Relative Circular - drag in a circle or arc to move the control relative to its previous position.
3. Linear - control responds to vertical mouse movement.

In all modes, a double click in the centre of the control will return it to its default position.

This is a free upgrade for any existing users - Anyone who hasn't tried it yet, I humbly request that you do. The vintage Pultec units which inspired this plug-in have long been revered as the 'secret ingredient' in many classic recordings. With the PTC-2A you can turn your 'in the box' mix into a high-end studio recording
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: OverTone DSP PTC-2A Vintage EQ V3

Post by jonetsu »

Very nice !

Will we see a similar update of the PTM-5A ?

Cheers.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Will we see a similar update of the PTM-5A ?
Yes, there are updates planned for the entire range, but, its a huge amount of work to transition all the changes in all formats / OS for all plug-ins, so it was decided to release the PTC-2A update first, that way we can gauge the reaction, and also incorporate anything that settles out from the update without too much trouble. Ultimately it means we have a more up to date framework to work with, as we try to turn things around (and get people interested again..)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I took the liberty of posting about the update at Harrison Mixbus :

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/foru ... -6437.html

I was wondering, with all the experience you have in plugin software, do you have ideas about implementing original plugins that would offer special aspects of audio processing ?

Cheers.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

do you have ideas about implementing original plugins that would offer special aspects of audio processing ?
I know what you mean, but to some extent we already do :) in so much as the DSP that drives the emulations, and the more modern designs such as the AF2-10 EQ already relies on some innovative techniques (I've been involved in some aspect of the industry for nearly 30 years, so I started with analogue - way before such relatively low cost DSP was available to everyone and I believe this provides us a valuable insight into capturing the 'analogue' essence of the best processing.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is my #1 favorite EQ plugin. I would encourage anyone who is curious to give it a try.

Looking forward to putting the update to work!
listenable at c6a7.org
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Loving the tactile feel to the knobs and the sizing tweaks.
Thanks!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Not doing much music right now but just want to express my interest in anything you do, a few of yours are my daily drivers. Nice to see an update.

What happened to EQ4000? I bought it and then soon after it disappeared from the website. Is it abandoned?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Regrettably it was decided to withdraw the EQ4000 from sale, I prefer not to discuss the reasons for that decision publicly. If you purchased an activation key, that will of course remain valid.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

mike@overtonedsp wrote:Regrettably it was decided to withdraw the EQ4000 from sale, I prefer not to discuss the reasons for that decision publicly. If you purchased an activation key, that will of course remain valid.
Are there any plans to replace the 4000 series with a new version?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

It was decided to discontinue the 4000 series, the situation regarding that decision was unfortunate, I'm not willing to discuss any more details publicly. I am however happy to talk about the updates to the PTC-2A plug-in.