Excellent vocal synthesizer project, runs on Linux: Synthesizer V

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Excellent vocal synthesizer project, runs on Linux: Synthesizer V

Post by jonetsu »

This has to be one of the most appealing vocal synthesizers. It runs on Ubuntu (also on Windows). It is a project as of now, started around 2011. There's no price as of yet and is free. Why Marketplace then ? Because it's not really a sampler, and it's not a synth, although hearing the quality of it, it will probably have a price eventually. Or a commercial version of it. Or be bought by a company.

Demo. Apart from the male Chinese voice, it's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW6x6EMACbg

TED talk by the author:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_kHCtudMk

Project website:

https://synthesizerv.com/

Cheers.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Excellent vocal synthesizer project, runs on Linux: Synthesizer V

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:This has to be one of the most appealing vocal synthesizers. It runs on Ubuntu (also on Windows). It is a project as of now, started around 2011. There's no price as of yet and is free. Why Marketplace then ? Because it's not really a sampler, and it's not a synth, although hearing the quality of it, it will probably have a price eventually. Or a commercial version of it. Or be bought by a company.
It is clear that they are preparing for commercial phase. They are giving away one voice, althou they already have more than one.

But indeed pretty convincing. Maybe some day I could create music with vocals :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote:But indeed pretty convincing. Maybe some day I could create music with vocals :-)
Maybe it works only in English with Xmas songs :)

If I may go an a tangent here, since Japanese is supported, it could be that it's also possible to use it for Finnish vocals. Just a hunch from a Japanese TV program I have seen some time ago in which they opened a Finnish phone book and started to pick up random names, with many of them sounding familiarly funny to Japanese ears, some very close to actual Japanese nouns, with different meanings.

Cheers.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote:But indeed pretty convincing. Maybe some day I could create music with vocals :-)
Maybe it works only in English with Xmas songs :)
Anyway working with english will need using phonetic writing. Maybe I have to learn that a bit, and try how bad Finnish it will sing. And anyway, if I would do somethign with vocals, would it be in finnish or english, don't know really.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:This has to be one of the most appealing vocal synthesizers.
I just caught up with this one. You're right, it's pretty impressive. Very easy to use, good sounding results, but alas, it doesn't seem like the maintainers have been doing a lot with the project. :(

Best,

dp
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

falkTX wrote:
"Synthesized Singing" means any audio, singing, speech, poetry reading, chant or other output produced by you, using the Software and the Voice Database.
You may not publish or distribute in any manner the Synthesized Singing that includes lyrics which are against public policy of law.
So we can use it, but we can't use whatever we do with it. Sounds like a very useless piece of software to me.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

You can't use lyric from another song. That's how I understand this.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

It just says you can't use it against the law. That is always correct by definition and redundant in a license, since you can't change the law with a usage license.