FL Studio 20 available

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

FL Studio 20 available

Post by protozone »

http://image-line.com

FL Studio recently jumped from 12 to 20.

So I downloaded the demo, and as far as I can tell, it runs more smoothly than the predecessors.
Also the workflow ergonomics have been improved. It's much easier to assign step parts to the mixer, and some of it is automatic now, so it's less tedious.

The FL Studio ASIO comes with it. I find that it's worth a try. On my system, using WINE of course (and tweaked PulseAudio), FL Studio ASIO works better than ASIO4all or other workarounds for getting programs like EnergyXT and Reaper to work. You don't have to just use it with FL Studio.

FL Studio 20 runs very smoothly on my system!

For the first time I can actually finally comprehend and use the FL Studio workflow.
Before, I couldn't properly overdub without timing errors and enough frustration to quit.
Also, they made switching screen modes easier and more intuitive.
This time around, I don't get dropouts and error glitches when playing the demos.
I can finally use the program for more than just the step editor!

I am using MX Linux 17 (Horizon) with an AMD/GPU-compatible RealTime kernel from AVLINUX(?).
As usual, I just use a tweaked PulseAudio instead of JACK. FL Studio ASIO helps much as the audio driver.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: FL Studio 20 available

Post by Jack Winter »

FWIW, the asio driver used for the old fls osx version was based on wineasio and ported by codeweavers to osx.

I never got fls running well on linux w wineasio, but maybe times have changed. Don't see that there is anything specific in wineasio that would cause performance issues. Basically jackd's processing thread calls directly into wine and there are 2 memcpy operations and a call into the host, that's all. Nothing that could really cause problems, except for what the host does in the audio processing callback.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
urlwolf
Established Member

Post by urlwolf »

Wine (which otherwise does a killer job with music apps) stopped picking up my midi device. Where do I post it?
It's an usb kb, icon i-key pro, in case anyone is curious.

Manjaro, so pretty up-to-date everything. Used to work 6 mo ago.

Update: I tried one other device, a NI Audio Kontrol 1, and it also fails to pick it up.
The only thing that shows is midi-through-port 0.
This is there independently of whether I have anything plugged.

Trying wine apps: FLstudio, and Mulab. FLstudio 12 used to work fine detecttin the device. Now FLstudio 12 and 20 both fail, together with mulab, so I blame a wine update?
urlwolf
Established Member

Post by urlwolf »

For reference, the midi device got picked up after a reboot.
What doesn't seem to work now is the inputs if the audio device (zoom H5).
Works fine on audacity/kwave/ardour. Any idea why?
urlwolf
Established Member

Post by urlwolf »

Oh, one computer now cannot launch FL studio. The big fruit appears but stays in and never gets to the GUI.
I'm afraid to update the machine I'm writing this in...
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

falkTX wrote:FL Studio tried to do a wine version with codeweavers (for macOS), so I guess some of that work benefits using it on Linux.
Though now they have a real native macOS application.

Using ASIO4ALL or FL ASIO is not really a good idea on linux...
Use WineASIO which directly puts audio into JACK, so it skips pulseaudio and you get better performance and latency overall.

and btw, I moved this post to Marketplace, since it is not "*Linux* Music News" at all..
OK. But actually I tried WineASIO a long time ago and it didn't work for me; I got unacceptable amounts of xruns and hangs and freezes and cursor playback errors and FL Studio crashing. So instead, I read about how to configure PulseAudio manually and install MsCoreFonts to run FL Studio... which *IS* a LINUX thing, and NOT a Windows thingy. I've been using FL Studio ever since. That was several years ago, and plenty of others have talked about it and explained it. It no longer requires the steinberg SDK extraction either.

PulseAudio is not too slow if it's configured right along with everything else. I've had a lot more problems with JACK than PulseAudio so I use PulseAudio with a whole bunch of stuff in Linux and since most Linuxes come with it by default, it's a pretty normal Linux thing I decided to peacefully coexist with.

FL Studio ASIO, actually *IS* a good thing because it lowers the latency of ASIO4all and provides at least some kind of ASIO port if you don't have one already. For example, in EnergyXT, you can't do much without an ASIO port, and the default audio stuff has too much latency.

As for ASIO4ALL, it's a bit buggy except for when accessed by FL Studio ASIO. I know a lot of people prefer JACK and are used to it, yet that's not universal. I tried WineASIO and it failed for me, so I gave up on it and learned how to get PulseAudio pretty far below 20 milliseconds. It's actually pretty easy to do. The only problem is that the defaults are set up wrong for pro audio.

FL Studio 20 release might not be official "Linux Music News", but we are Linux musicians. I don't use MacOS nor Microsoft Windows nor BSD; I use Linux to make music, and I do it with PulseAudio and a wide variety of Linux and non-Linux tools. Certainly WINE is a Linux thing too. I figured that since running FL Studio is not any longer a high tech experiment for Linux, people might want to know that it runs even better than before even though they did remove some of the demo features.

I don't work for Image-Line, and I'm not trying to spam your forums. I just like to share when there are more tools for us Linux musicians to use successfully. In the spirit of Linux sharing, I like to try and make it EASIER for people running Linux to make music rather than harder.

Also, using PulseAudio doesn't require the KXstudio repos which are starting to get a bit tricky since some or their repo parts default to way old "wily" or just "xenial" even though we are back past "artful"'s debut now. I've had some repo problems with KXstudio being more up to date for some stuff, but older for other stuff. Much of the nice stuff inside of KXstudio can be obtained from the creators' sites directly, manually. I'm not slamming KXstudio though, it's still great, and before it started getting out of date it was even greater and really the de-facto best way to get Linux distros into the pro audio realm without too much fuss.

Also, for the record, I think LMMS has some type of interactive capability with FL STudio built into it since it asks for the FL Studio paths in it's own prefs. Since that's a Linux software clearly, I think that grandfather's FL Studio into the forum content just barely :lol:

I'm not messing with ya, peace.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Amongst the intruments I use are Harmor, Sytrus, Sakura, Ogun, Morphine and Harmless. They run mostly fine in Mixbus32C and Bitwig. What IL call their vector-based UI, their revamped UI for Sytrus, Harmor, Harmless and Ogun will not show anymore once minimized in Bitwig. Their full UI will show all right until minized after which only but a black window will be shown. As if the plugin did not receive a signal to redraw. In Mixbus32C this problem is not there. The Bitwig guys replied that Mixbus32C do not actually close the UI when minimizing a plugin. In any case in Bitwig, if I forget about that or if it really needs to be minimzed, then disbling audio for that session and renabling it will show the UI again the next time they are brought up. Weird. IMHO I thing the Bitwig service guy did not think about it much. Or maybe it is an IL UI problem and maybe Mixbus is minimizing plugins in a different manner. Or maybe it is a linVST/wine-staging problem. I asked on the Mixbus forum but could not get a straight answer. I'll try asking on the Ardour mailing list.

At times Bitwig can corrupt the audio when things get too heavy but most of the time it works well enough. Mixbus32C runs more steady regarding audio. Both are using jackd. When Bitwig corrupts the audio (full of crackles) then terminating it, restarting jackd and restarting Bitwig with a blacnk session does not solve the problem. In those times Mixbus32C can load an existing session and play it nicely, and firefox can play audio very well. Only Bitwig clings to corrupted audio restart aftrer restart. Reboot is the only solution I found so far.

All in all I started using wine-staging and linvst relatively recently and to my surprise it went pretty well. I can use two types of plugins which are great, the Voxengo and the Melda Production audio processing plugins. Rob Papen's newest Go2 runs very fine, for a 100% digital sound feeling. Synthmaster2 runs also very fine. Synplant and Microtonic also, as well as Phonec2. Even though I described problems above, the net result, taking out the IL vector-based plugins, is a 95% working one, which is pretty good considering what software is after all. :) Even with the IL vector-based UIs it's rather good if one takes care.

Cheers.
umingwya

Post by umingwya »

Protozone, can you point to more info as to how Pulseaudio can be tweaked to be good enough for use with FL Studio?
I bought my Fruity Loops license in 2010, never really used it until FL Studio 20 started running on Wine almost out of the box.
I want to avoid installing and using Jack if I can help it. Thanks
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

umingwya wrote:Protozone, can you point to more info as to how Pulseaudio can be tweaked to be good enough for use with FL Studio?
(...)
I want to avoid installing and using Jack if I can help it. Thanks
Why would you want to avoid installing and using JACK? Some misconception perhaps? I remember I didn't like it very much when I discovered it, but I soon changed my mind completely. Pulseaudio, OTOH, has caused me many problems in the past. I always remove it in a fresh OS installation. JACK lets you pipe/redirect audio in a very, very nice way. I suggest you reconsider.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

FL Studio 20 won't run for me. What version of Wine are you people using that runs it successfully?
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Luc wrote:FL Studio 20 won't run for me. What version of Wine are you people using that runs it successfully?
I've ran it on 3.18, 3.19 & 3.20 without any major issues noticed so far. I installed it via Playonlinux also. Which version are you using?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Death wrote:I've ran it on 3.18, 3.19 & 3.20 without any major issues noticed so far. I installed it via Playonlinux also. Which version are you using?
Staging 3.21.0. I get errors like this:

Code: Select all

0042:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x1cd4b40 "?" wait timed out in thread 0042, blocked by 0037, retrying (60 sec)
There are mentions of it on Google, but there doesn't seem to be a solution.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Luc wrote: Staging 3.21.0. I get errors like this:

Code: Select all

0042:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x1cd4b40 "?" wait timed out in thread 0042, blocked by 0037, retrying (60 sec)
There are mentions of it on Google, but there doesn't seem to be a solution.
I'm not sure what to make of that. But all I could suggest is that you try any of the Wine versions I mentioned as I know they've worked for me. You could also try installing via POL for the same reason. Worth a shot eh.. Also, I've had it working with FLS versions '20.0.4.629' & '20.0.5.681' so you could try using one of those installers if you haven't already.