Harrison Mixbus offers

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Harrison Mixbus offers

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote: I have for now decided, that 32C might not be worth the price for me, but cheaper Mixbus is. Let's see if I will ever hit to it's limitations compared to 32C. But that is only me, my projects are simple this far. I would say that 32C is worth the money if you are mixing real multitrack projects (with more than 8 tracks).
How much was it recently for 32C ? $99 ? That's simply excellent.
Right now (few hours still) it is.
jonetsu wrote:That main advanatge of 32C is the EQ I find, not the number of mixbusses.
Mixbus provides a 3band EQ with high-pass filter, and 8 mixbuses.
Mixbus32C provides a 4band EQ with high- and low-pass filters.

That is different, but I am not convinced that difference in EQ would make any difference for me, at least for now. I'm so novice, that can't even make sane decisions on what to do with 3-band parametric eq. And from offers I got xt-eq plugin, in case I for some reason have desire to use finer eq.
jonetsu wrote: Recently my most 'serious' Soundcloud pieces (still not serious as really making an EP or such commercial attempt) have around 30 to 40 tracks including busses and mixbusses. This could be almost mixed using a regular Mixbus. I say 'almost' because the average of 4 mixbusses that I use each have their Harrison tape saturation. Having so many Satin instances would call for problems as Satin consumes a fair amount of CPU.
Making single/ep/album as electronical release to spotify/itunes/deezer and all major (and minor) channels is available for free, so I've decided to release everything I get done to decent level.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote: Mixbus provides a 3band EQ with high-pass filter, and 8 mixbuses.
Mixbus32C provides a 4band EQ with high- and low-pass filters.
Regular Mixbus does NOT provide 32C emulation. That's the whole point.

Some people prefer digital 'pure' EQ, others prefer analog emulations with character. There IS a difference between the two types of EQs, and then differences between hardwares.
tavasti wrote:That is different, but I am not convinced that difference in EQ would make any difference for me, at least for now.
This is why that when the price is very low, it makes away, a bit, with those considerations. BTW, right now, since a few minutes, regular Mixbus is offered at $19 via an email offer. :)
jonetsu wrote: Recently my most 'serious' Soundcloud pieces (still not serious as really making an EP or such commercial attempt) have around 30 to 40 tracks including busses and mixbusses. This could be almost mixed using a regular Mixbus. I say 'almost' because the average of 4 mixbusses that I use each have their Harrison tape saturation. Having so many Satin instances would call for problems as Satin consumes a fair amount of CPU.
tavasti wrote:Making single/ep/album as electronical release to spotify/itunes/deezer and all major (and minor) channels is available for free, so I've decided to release everything I get done to decent level.
I am not sure about what you meant. Making good audio products that people can switch to from listening to a well-known artist in the same genre certainly takes an amount of work to accomplish. The artists out there do work a lot on their productions. It's not free.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote: Regular Mixbus does NOT provide 32C emulation. That's the whole point.
I would say you have mistaken.
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus32c-info.html
What is the difference between Mixbus and Mixbus32C?

Mixbus and Mixbus32C have identical features, except that the 32C mixer strip has more features:
Mixbus provides a 3band EQ with high-pass filter, and 8 mixbuses.
Mixbus32C provides a 4band EQ with high- and low-pass filters, and 12 mixbuses.
jonetsu wrote: BTW, right now, since a few minutes, regular Mixbus is offered at $19 via an email offer. :)
Noticed same :-)
jonetsu wrote:
tavasti wrote:Making single/ep/album as electronical release to spotify/itunes/deezer and all major (and minor) channels is available for free, so I've decided to release everything I get done to decent level.
I am not sure about what you meant. Making good audio products that people can switch to from listening to a well-known artist in the same genre certainly takes an amount of work to accomplish. The artists out there do work a lot on their productions. It's not free.
What I was trying to say that if you have produced something you don't have to pay for releasing it on major channels. Sure if you will calculate how much worth your own time is, for 99.999% of people playing instrument or producing anything is not worth it, in financial means.

If I would think I am trying to compete with big names or start calculating my time spent, I would stop immediately producing anything. In fact, I'm not sure will my music ever reach even 50$ limit for payout :-)

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tavasti wrote: If I would think I am trying to compete with big names or start calculating my time spent, I would stop immediately producing anything. In fact, I'm not sure will my music ever reach even 50$ limit for payout :-)
It's not really about competing. The way I see it is to be able to offer music that lives to the 'specs' in production terms. So that there are more chances for people to listen to some as it will not come across as poorly mixed, having not much of a structure, not in sync, poor choices soundwise, etc, etc. As such, 'competition' is healthy. When I listen to what I would consider at times commercial reference tracks, I see how it is done professionally, as some inspiration in terms of production. For me it's too easy to get immersed in music to forget about making it a step better production wise.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
sysrqer wrote:I can't mix with it, it's needlessly crippled. Creating your own aux track means that that aux can only play in mono because the send on the track is pre pan. That kills it for me, no sub or stereo pair groups, mono fx sends.
So in other words if I got that right, when modifying the panning on a channel, the panning on the stereo bus to which the channel sends should follow, is that right ? Here are the same two channels, top part, bottom part:
No, I'm not talking about the mixbus buses.
Well, that excludes then "Creating your own aux track". You might very well be referring to a feature all DAWs have, and although I'd like to know what it is about in practical terms - might be discovering something new - it does not come across at all as being clear.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

My mailbox yesterday. Notice a pattern? :D

I love the guys so I just leave it be. It's nice to see they're alive and active. Maybe it's not even their fault. I once met a guy who asked for my address and he used to sell trips to touristic places and he also used MailChimp. Damn, I had to block him because it became maddening! I got this close to telephoning him and telling him to shove his trips up the caboose.
singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:
sysrqer wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
So in other words if I got that right, when modifying the panning on a channel, the panning on the stereo bus to which the channel sends should follow, is that right ? Here are the same two channels, top part, bottom part:
No, I'm not talking about the mixbus buses.
Well, that excludes then "Creating your own aux track". You might very well be referring to a feature all DAWs have, and although I'd like to know what it is about in practical terms - might be discovering something new - it does not come across at all as being clear.
It's been discussed many times on their forum and Harrison have stated that it is broken like this by design. Their explanation for why they did this is different to my more cynical opinion. I'm sure you'll find lots on it if you search for terms like 'aux send pan stereo mono'.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/foru ... t=send+pan
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/foru ... t=send+pan

Some examples of why this is an issue? Parallel processing, creating sub groups for stereo pairs, using stereo reverbs/delays on non-mixbus buses/auxes. If you don't find there is an issue then that's great for you but it makes mixing impossible for me. For fx sends alone it's easy to use most of the mixbus buses, 1 small reverb, 1 long reverb, 1 slap delay, 1 short delay, 1 long delay. That's a simple and fairly normal set up and leaves you with not much, whichever version of mixbus you're using. If I have lots of vocals layers and harmonies I would subgroup parts (all harmonies or two doubled sections), add just a few of those, send them to a master vocal bus and you're out of extra buses, or very nearly. There are quite a few other issues when trying this alternative workflow which make it impractical and troublesome.

There's no reason they could not implement this as an option (this is not how it is in ardour) but then there would be less incentive for people to buy the bigger version...
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer wrote:
jonetsu wrote:
sysrqer wrote: Some examples of why this is an issue? Parallel processing, creating sub groups for stereo pairs, using stereo reverbs/delays on non-mixbus buses/auxes. If you don't find there is an issue then that's great for you but it makes mixing impossible for me. For fx sends alone it's easy to use most of the mixbus buses, 1 small reverb, 1 long reverb, 1 slap delay, 1 short delay, 1 long delay. That's a simple and fairly normal set up and leaves you with not much, whichever version of mixbus you're using. If I have lots of vocals layers and harmonies I would subgroup parts (all harmonies or two doubled sections), add just a few of those, send them to a master vocal bus and you're out of extra buses, or very nearly. There are quite a few other issues when trying this alternative workflow which make it impractical and troublesome.

There's no reason they could not implement this as an option (this is not how it is in ardour) but then there would be less incentive for people to buy the bigger version...
Thanks, this is interesting. I started to read the thread, but will continue along with Mixbus32C a bit later.

So far what I do is what I learned from Michael White's mixing (he's using Pro Tools in his classes), which is on Mixbus32C to create a utility bus for FX, have a send from a track to that bus and have both sent to an already defined mixbuss exclusively (unconnected from the master bus). Those mixbusses then are considered largely as 'stems' for groups of instruments, like drums&bass, guitars, pads, solo/theme synths, etc. That scheme offers a three-stage approach to audio processing, individual tracks and FXs, combined, and then master bus.

Granted, there's no much of a thought and creative use for mono/stereo in this although the FX tracks (and there can be many) can be panned on their own. All synths so far are recorded in stereo. The acoustic guitar has two mics and two mono tracks, but considered stereo. I haven't explored/exploited mono tracks much yet.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:
So far what I do is what I learned from Michael White's mixing (he's using Pro Tools in his classes), which is on Mixbus32C to create a utility bus for FX, have a send from a track to that bus and have both sent to an already defined mixbuss exclusively (unconnected from the master bus). Those mixbusses then are considered largely as 'stems' for groups of instruments, like drums&bass, guitars, pads, solo/theme synths, etc. That scheme offers a three-stage approach to audio processing, individual tracks and FXs, combined, and then master bus.
What do you mean by utility bus? Exactly how do you set this up?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer wrote: What do you mean by utility bus? Exactly how do you set this up?
There's a choice of mono and stereo.

mixbusAddTrack.jpg
mixbusAddTrack.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

But you lose the panning information from the send tracks.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

So the FXs are panned separately, not in conjunction.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's not much use though when you have lost the original panning, no wide reverbs or stereo slaps, mono parallel processing.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sysrqer wrote:I can't mix with it, it's needlessly crippled. Creating your own aux track means that that aux can only play in mono because the send on the track is pre pan. That kills it for me, no sub or stereo pair groups, mono fx sends.
Is that send mono, so that if I have seriously different L+R channels, are they in send mixed together, and in that another bus L and R are same?