Harrison Mixbus offers

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tony-j
Established Member

Re: Harrison Mixbus offers

Post by tony-j »

yes that was exactly what i saw.

i have an ex Vista Asus too, and also a fujitsu laptop, they're both around 2 ghz.
the license is usable by only one computer,am i right? but what about i'll decide to buy a new computer in the future, can i transfer the license to that?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tony-j wrote:yes that was exactly what i saw.

i have an ex Vista Asus too, and also a fujitsu laptop, they're both around 2 ghz.
the license is usable by only one computer,am i right? but what about i'll decide to buy a new computer in the future, can i transfer the license to that?
License works on multiple computers ok. See http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-info.html
Does Mixbus use an iLok or other hardware copy protection?

No, Mixbus does not utilize hardware copy protection.

The Mixbus license file is a simple text file with your name embedded alongside an encrypted key. Simply saving the file to your HOME folder will enable Mixbus. You can keep a backup of the keyfile, and even use it on multiple computers. Mixbus will show that it is licensed in your name.

What is the Mixbus user license? If I have a desktop and a laptop computer, can I install it on both?

Yes. Mixbus is licensed to a "single user". This means that as long as you are the only user, you can install it all of your personal computers. If multiple people will be using the software, you will need to purchase a license for each user. Commercial businesses and educational facilities should purchase a license for each computer.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tony-j
Established Member

Post by tony-j »

outstanding
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

tony-j wrote:outstanding

I think so. I have my music laptop but I also stuck mixbus on my windows machine, why not when it is at no extra cost? (BTW the Linux machine performs better on similar specs).

I have also started to get a few of their plugins when they are on offer, they are also portable between multiple machines.

I am more of a 'traditonal' musician playing guitars, bass etc and I started on analogue gear. Mixbus just clicks with me.

Another route is to record on Ardour (which runs lighter) and mix on mixbus. Mixbus can open an ardour project but loses the panning settings when it does so.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

tony-j wrote:outstanding
The specs of my laptop (now I can get to it) are 2GB of Ram, Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz, 140GB hard drive. I run Debian with xfce as that is not too heavy.

Disclaimer: I use this mostly with audio and not lots of soft synths.

It did surprise me that it is CPU usage not RAM that goes up first, shame as RAM is easier to fix. So far it has not stopped me generally doing what I want, with the exception of when I checked out drumgizmo (which did not work in Ardour either).
tony-j
Established Member

Post by tony-j »

I've to say that 66.38 euros is a good price for mixbus.

But i don't understand the additional 17euros of taxes. It is not to be cheap, but for every investment i want to know what i'm buying.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

tony-j wrote:I've to say that 66.38 euros is a good price for mixbus. But i don't understand the additional 17euros of taxes. It is not to be cheap, but for every investment i want to know what i'm buying.
Strangely enough I was about to update the Bitwig upgrade plan for a year when 159€ ended up much more at paypal than a standard xe.com conversion. So much taxes would not make sense. I emailed them, no reply yet.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

tony-j wrote:I've to say that 66.38 euros is a good price for mixbus.

But i don't understand the additional 17euros of taxes. It is not to be cheap, but for every investment i want to know what i'm buying.
At the moment I think it is cheaper: https://sites.fastspring.com/harrisonco ... MB4-SAVE40
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

jonetsu wrote: Strangely enough I was about to update the Bitwig upgrade plan for a year when 159€ ended up much more at paypal than a standard xe.com conversion. So much taxes would not make sense. I emailed them, no reply yet.
UPDATE

Regarding Bitwig, they list their prices in € and USD. So depending on where you live and the exchange rate, one might be cheaper than the other. You can choose the billing currency at the checkout. I've chosen the USD to renew the upgrade plan and saved $30 in local currency compared to doing a checkout in €.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Looks like now they have series of short sales, varying what is discounted. Now XT-LC (look ahead compressor) for 9.81$ and mixbus 32C for 99$. XT-TG (tom gate) was previous offer. Best offers are on their email list.

Edit: I ordered XT-LC. There is still few of the Harrison plugins I would like to get, let's see if they have serious discounts on them also :-)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

And now, 32C for 99$, and XT-EG (gate / expander) for free. Free plugins are definitely welcome here :-)

Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

damn, I missed the offers.

can I highjack this thread to ask if 32c is worth it?
and how about Mixbus beiing worth it the investment comparing to Ardour? (I did read the thread on Gearlutz, wanted to hear some opinion from Ardour users)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Capoeira wrote: how about Mixbus beiing worth it the investment comparing to Ardour? (I did read the thread on Gearlutz, wanted to hear some opinion from Ardour users)
Do you like Ardour? If you like Ardour, write down how much it would be worth to you to add 1) excellent built-in compressors built into every channel, 2) sweet sounding built in EQ into every channel, 3) busses with nice sounding tape saturation (and sends all set up for you), 4) various usability and GUI tweaks, and 5) excellent support.

If those things add up to be equal to or greater than the cost of Mixbus, then you should consider Mixbus. It's basically Ardour with added convenience and quality sound processing built in.

Also, you can use Mixbus for anything, but I feel that the workflow is really suited to analog music. If you are mostly looping and/or using software instruments, the benefits of Mixbus are probably less appealing.
listenable at c6a7.org
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

ufug wrote:
Capoeira wrote: how about Mixbus beiing worth it the investment comparing to Ardour? (I did read the thread on Gearlutz, wanted to hear some opinion from Ardour users)
Do you like Ardour? If you like Ardour, write down how much it would be worth to you to add 1) excellent built-in compressors built into every channel, 2) sweet sounding built in EQ into every channel, 3) busses with nice sounding tape saturation (and sends all set up for you), 4) various usability and GUI tweaks, and 5) excellent support.

If those things add up to be equal to or greater than the cost of Mixbus, then you should consider Mixbus. It's basically Ardour with added convenience and quality sound processing built in.

Also, you can use Mixbus for anything, but I feel that the workflow is really suited to analog music. If you are mostly looping and/or using software instruments, the benefits of Mixbus are probably less appealing.
thanks, I see your point.

last sentence probably aplies to Ardour in general.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ufug wrote:
Capoeira wrote: Also, you can use Mixbus for anything, but I feel that the workflow is really suited to analog music. If you are mostly looping and/or using software instruments, the benefits of Mixbus are probably less appealing.
Will depends how Mixbus is used. I do all the creation in Bitwig and use Mixbus32C for mixing and recently, to re=record the guitar tracks that were sketched in Bitwig. So far, I find that Mixbus32C offers a warmer sound right off from the first import of the Bitwig tracks whereas Bitwig offers a punchier sound. The way I see it is that I prefer to build 'punchliness' from a warm base, mostly by mixing, than trying to add warmth to a clear punchy mix as I find that warmth will last a longer run than punch in listening experience.