Purism Librem 5

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Purism Librem 5

Post by CrocoDuck »

Not exactly an audio product and not really a cheap one, but promises to be a Linux Smartphone, able to run whatever ARM distribution. Just dropping it here in case you find it interesting (still in crowdfunding phase). The company already delivered few products, which don't look bad (but yeah, a bit on the expensive side).

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: Purism Librem 5

Post by gimmeapill »

That's over ambitious and just not very realistic if you ask me.
Quite a few chaps with deeper pockets and more pragmatic goals have tried and dropped the towel before (Ubuntu phone, Jolla, Firefox & co.).
For one, I would be very interested to see how they can even convince carriers to let that thing on their networks, (assuming it really shows up with an open source modem chip + software stack), although they seems to have wisely excluded that part from their first version goals...
Still, good luck to them...
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

gimmeapill wrote:For one, I would be very interested to see how they can even convince carriers to let that thing on their networks
Is that a thing that has to be done? I mean, I know nothing about it, but I always assumed that SIM cards are built according to a standard and they will just work as long as they are interfaced with appropriate hardware.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

I wouldn't be able to get into the details, but last time I looked at it that was a clear no-no.

...& a quick googling suggests things didn't change much:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics ... ource_gsm/

The easy answer: seeing the approach of those Librem guys, if it was so easy they would very surely brag left and right about it ;-)