Fill out U-he survey=Get$25 coupon in email

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Fill out U-he survey=Get$25 coupon in email

Post by glowrak guy »

http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP

Basic survey about how you use, play, and learn about virtual music tools, hardware etc
with 'other' as an option quite a few times, so you have ample room to mention
various linux related scenarios.

Coupon is good for any plugin purchase, which would reduce the price for the most affordable U-he synth,
ACE (any cable anywhere modular synth)
from the normal price of $69 eur or dabloons etc by about 25 of like coinage.

I've got about 1700 ACE presets, from the factory and gathered contributions.
So there are plenty examples of cable routing...

https://www.u-he.com/cms/ace

Cheers
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Fill out U-he survey=Get$25 coupon in email

Post by jonetsu »

Addtional to the sound patches themselves from which to learn, there is also the excellent Dan Worrall four-part ACE tutorial (1 hour total). Here is the fourth part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_e1Rj-ULwU
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:... there is also the excellent Dan Worrall four-part ACE tutorial ...
Agree++. Great series.

Best,

dp
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

davephillips wrote: Agree++. Great series.
And I've certainly used the pause and rewind buttons a few times ! :)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I went back to the ACE contributions section of the U-he patch library,
over 1300 now! I found around 150 that have something special for
the sometimes narrow range I work with. Not that the other 2000 sounds
are chopped liver. I can always make chopped liver from the best of 'em,
onions included, no extra charge :wink:
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

I admit I'm quite tempted to buy ACE as it is quite cheap and would fill a gap in my setup. Did you download the version from the first post in the KVR thread about U-He linux betas or did you get it elsewhere? Are you using the VST2 or VST3 version?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

You can get it, as well as any other u-he Linux synth, from the first post of the KVR thread which gets updated as new releases are made:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424953

Although it says 'beta', all synths are working extremely well. They basically are in 'beta' because they were not tested in all major Linux distributions.

The only slight problem is with Ardour/Mixbus not being able to rescale their GUI. To change the scaling of a synth UI, first change its config file, then start Ardour/Mixbux and reopen the plugin synth.

The config file for ACE is:

~/.u-he/ACE/Support/com.u-he.ACE.Preferences.txt

And the line is (100% is default) :

V_PROPERTY name='Preference' id='0' value='AllViews:DefaultUISize:150%'
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

barbouze wrote:I admit I'm quite tempted to buy ACE as it is quite cheap and would fill a gap in my setup. Did you download the version from the first post in the KVR thread about U-He linux betas or did you get it elsewhere? Are you using the VST2 or VST3 version?
linux ACE in demo mode has always been very stable. As is the windows version in wine.
I found enough variety in the 1300+ ACE community sounds, to cover the price.

sounds waiting @ http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/

Cheers
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Well, I looked at the four part tutorial, listened to some presets, played with it and couldn't resist :D
Of course there are Diva and Zebra for analog heaven and modular madness but this little synth is at the same time affordable, sounds great and offers a lot of possibilities in an intuitive interface.
Thanks for the tip on the 25$ discount!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I'd say that the modular beats would be rather ACE's big brother, Bazille. Which is IMHO an underestimated synth. Many people are doing noises with it but it's capable of great nuances. There's a free scaled-down version of Bazille called Beatzille if you're interested. You'll find the link in another post in the Marketplace section, one about 'lump of coal' or somesuch :) The link might also be on u-he's web site.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

I was the one who posted the info on Beatzille :D
They are both (ACE and Bazille) part of the "Berlin modular" series (with old school cable routing) that will be extended sooner or later but while Bazille is based on digital oscillators (and sounds great!), ACE is based on analog ones and that warmth was missing in my setup.
Zebra might be visually less impressive but seems more feature packed and geared toward sound design. The simple fact that it has been used by Hans Zimmer for The Dark Knight soundtrack speaks for itself. Anyway I'm glad such great synths are available for Linux :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

All right ! May I then recommend the free ACE sounds made by Kyhon ? Since he intermixes 'noises' with 'sounds' (see the Diva 'Deform' soundset) what I did is to go through all the ACE sounds and split them into two categories so that when I look for a sound I do not hit a noise. There can be a good volume imbalance between the two kinds, which I'm not too fond of when browsing sounds. Quite inventive, deep and sensible sounds for ACE.

http://www.kyhon.com/

This is not a standard web page. Hover the mouse around and you'll find things. There are free soundsets for Bazille and Zebra too. The one for Diva leads to u-he's web page, it's a commercial soundset.

ZebraHZ, and plain Zebra indeed have a lot about tonal characteristics. About 75% of the time I reach for a synth is for ZebraHZ to start with, which I also use to load the regular Zebra patches since when I modify them I can add the extra Diva parameters. It might get replaced later on, but as a first synth ZebraHZ offers the largest pallette to work with, I find. On the cinematic front the ZebraHZ/Zebra soundsets by The Unfinished (Matt Bowler) are quite good IMHO.